• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    Is the para 3 blade made from powdered metal? Searching for CPM-4V and S45VN (what regular para 3 is made of), both come up as alloys used in powder metallurgy.

Also, for someone that knows more about steels, what are pros/cons of CPM-4V?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Just ordered one. My first Spyderco. Does anyone know if they are assisted opening?

Almost certainly not. I'm hardly an expert but I don't think Spyderco makes assisted opening knives.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Almost certainly not. I'm hardly an expert but I don't think Spyderco makes assisted opening knives.

Thanks, I didn’t think so because it didn’t mention it in the description. All I’ve had is assisted opening for the last 6 or 7 years (Kershaws and sogs), I’m sure I’ll get used to the new Spyderco.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thanks, I didn’t think so because it didn’t mention it in the description. All I’ve had is assisted opening for the last 6 or 7 years (Kershaws and sogs), I’m sure I’ll get used to the new Spyderco.

I've only used Spydercos for the last 20 some years so I find them instinctive. Depending how you carry them you can make an assisted opener with a zip tie through the hole in the blade. At that point they function like an Emerson wave.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Ah. Thanks for posting. I am also a Spyderco fan and don't have a Para 3. Sold!

Edit: I should add that the FRN/lightweight models are great summer carry knives. I have a Salt that I carry all summer on the boat and they're fantastic little knives.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I've only used Spydercos for the last 20 some years so I find them instinctive. Depending how you carry them you can make an assisted opener with a zip tie through the hole in the blade. At that point they function like an Emerson wave.

I was gonna say I think the Emerson Wave is the most assisted the get.

I bought two, lol.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Just ordered one. My first Spyderco. Does anyone know if they are assisted opening?

I can open mine one-handed with my thumb using the hole in the blade and also close it with my index finger using the compression lock, which I've found to be my favorite type.
    Your digits never have to get close to the blade edge while opening or closing.
    Some folks can flick them open, but I don't like to keep mine that loose.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Don't see myself using this one, received and put in the drawer with a bunch of other Spyderco's. I've grown accustomed to carrying a PM2 with the G-10 handles and this lightweight model just doesn't impress me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Also, this is the Para 3 lightweight, and a nice version of it. The standard version has G10 scales over steel liners, the lightweight has textured nylon with a minimalist liner on one side only, so it saves 1oz from the 3.4oz standard model. It has IMO an upgraded wire deep carry clip, and the grippier texture of the lightweight is better with wet hands. The only downside is that the action can feel a hair loose if adjusted to move freely, as one side is riding on plastic, and there is only 1 bushing on the lock side. Still stronger than needed for cutting, and I like them a lot better than the lockback delica. Still has the compression lock which is awesome, allowing easy 1 handed closing, and being the lock provides the detent, can either spydie flick it open, or press the lock and the blade swings out. Have a few standard and lightweight para 3 exclusives, and carry them often.

Is the para 3 blade made from powdered metal? Searching for CPM-4V and S45VN (what regular para 3 is made of), both come up as alloys used in powder metallurgy.

Also, for someone that knows more about steels, what are pros/cons of CPM-4V?

Basically ingot steel alloys are melted, mixed and poured into ingots, then rolled to the desired thickness, this is how knife steel has been made for more than a century. Particle metallurgy mixes the molten steel, then sprays it into a mist creating tiny and uniform droplets that cool quickly, and lock in a very tight grain structure and small carbide size, then they are heated and essentially forge welded into sheets. Using the same alloys, CPM will almost always be tougher, easier to grind, and have fewer inclusions or flaws, or uneven distributions of additives or carbides, so pretty much better in every way. Of course this is before shaping, heat treating etc, and those influence the steel properties too.

Blade HQ has a decent if not simplified steel comparison chart: https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife-Steel-Guide--3368

Knives are made from a few types of steels, mostly borrowed from other applications, and they have different general properties. 4V is an advanced tool steel, usually high hardness around 62HRC helps it keep an edge, the fine grain and lack of free chromium makes it very tough and resistant to chipping, but it is not technically a stainless steel and more susceptible to rust, although it does have some Chrome in the mix, so not as bad as something like 1095. One other benefit is that it holds a good edge, and is relatively easy to sharpen, about the same as S30V, but holds an edge longer and is far tougher. All in all it's a great balanced steel, provided you keep it dry and clean, especially if you are around saltwater.

Don Galt

Feb 8, 2022
    SOMD
    Oooo that was a good lookin’ knife…

…need a left handed compression lock Spyderco soooo bad. Unobtainium anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom