• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I have a Ruger MKIII with well over 2k rounds. Extremely reliable and accurate. Having said that, my M&P 22 Compact is a lot of fun, easier to clean, and has been reliable so far. If you consider the M&P make sure it is the U.S. made Compact and not the Walther made M&P 22. I understand they have issues but I don't have first hand experience.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My 1952 Ruger Single Six of course shoots everything. You can't count Remington cause they have like 5% duds no matter what you shoot

Wife's Ruger 22/45 I'd say shoots 85% everything.
    My dad's Berretta Neos shoots about 60% (lots of light strikes)
    My Stainless Browning Buckmark shoots 98% everything.

Buckmark trigger makes you look like a champ.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Wish I could say the same about mine. Only seems to function 100% with minimags. It's been the same for any semi 22 pistol I've tried.
    It also functioned flawlessly with the CCI AR Tactical round but the specs are almost identical to mini mags. I only shot it with mini mags and the AR Tactical round.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Wish I could say the same about mine. Only seems to function 100% with minimags. It's been the same for any semi 22 pistol I've tried.

Isn't one of yours that only shoots MiniMags, a PPQ?

This is 100% exactly what I do not want to deal with...:sad20:

The most expensive and fancy 22 ammo I have (or ever will have) are CCI mini mags, Choot-ems, AR Tacticals and Stingers, but I also have (a bit more of) Federal Auto Match, and Golden Bullets. My 45 year old Winchester 190 will spit any of them out effortlessly, and that's what I hope for with a 22LR firing pistol...if 22 pistols are hit or miss, which it sure seems to be, then I guess I'll have to consider another 22 rifle. :sad20:

Thanks for the replies so far...although it seems some have zero problems with the same guns that others do have ammo issues with...which is why I posed the question. ;)

Like I said originally, I'm not opposed to a revolver. But I am opposed to spending more than I posted, which is maxed out at $500...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Revolver.

GP100. (It's expensive)

So

LCR
    Expensive compared to what? Ruger revolvers are more durable than any other brand and significantly less expensive than S&W. They also look better in my opinion. Oh and they don't have that silly integrated lock.

ecf549fc61293660fb54b06166ef6f09.jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Expensive compared to what? Ruger revolvers are more durable than any other brand and significantly less expensive than S&W. They also look better in my opinion. Oh and they don't have that silly integrated lock.

ecf549fc61293660fb54b06166ef6f09.jpg

I agree. The GP100 (with full under lug) stainless, 4" barrel, original inset redwood in the grips.... work of art.

But the OP said under $500, so anything over that, in this context is 'expensive'.

I can't wait for Ruger to make the LCR 3" with the slightly longer grip in 9mm.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Isn't one of yours that only shoots MiniMags, a PPQ?

This is 100% exactly what I do not want to deal with...:sad20:

The most expensive and fancy 22 ammo I have (or ever will have) are CCI mini mags, Choot-ems, AR Tacticals and Stingers, but I also have (a bit more of) Federal Auto Match, and Golden Bullets. My 45 year old Winchester 190 will spit any of them out effortlessly, and that's what I hope for with a 22LR firing pistol...if 22 pistols are hit or miss, which it sure seems to be, then I guess I'll have to consider another 22 rifle. :sad20:

Thanks for the replies so far...although it seems some have zero problems with the same guns that others do have ammo issues with...which is why I posed the question. ;)

Like I said originally, I'm not opposed to a revolver. But I am opposed to spending more than I posted, which is maxed out at $500...

Its a ppk/s and it won't cycle anything less than minimags either.

If you read through all the replies you'll see that there is really no semi 22lr pistol that functions 100% with all ammo. :shrug:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

FWIW, a 4" barreled Ruger GP100 in 22lr has an msrp of $769.

Just want a cheap plinker that is reliable.

Is there such an animal?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have 2 ruger mk IIIs, one is a 22/45 and they have both been reliable with anything I have run through them including subsonic ammo. Any cheap .22 should be expected to have at least a few bad rounds per batch, so when these rounds are encountered the gun doesn't like them. Usually golden bullet. People complain about the break down of them, but once you get the hang of it it really isn't an issue. I also don't clean them for thousands of rounds, just lube them up and swab out the chamber area if it gets too gunky. The 22/45 came threaded which is a nice option if you want it.

The 5" bull barrel is not threaded but a bit heavier due to the full metal frame and longer barrel. It seems a bit more accurate.

With the rugers I suggest installing a couple aftermarket parts that bring the trigger pull down to 2ish lbs; valquartzen sear, tandemkross trigger pin bushing which deletes the magazine safety, and tandemkross chamber loaded indicator (if you plan to use a suppressor). These are all pretty simple if you like to tinker a bit. Edit: these are not required for reliability.

The only issues I've had have been ammo related to golden bullets, but it still shoots most of the batch. The revolver would also be just as reliable as the ammo you choose.

Never tried a buck mark but many people like them as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453469636.745397.jpg

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I agree. The GP100 (with full under lug) stainless, 4" barrel, original inset redwood in the grips.... work of art.

But the OP said under $500, so anything over that, in this context is 'expensive'.

I can't wait for Ruger to make the LCR 3" with the slightly longer grip in 9mm.
    Got ya. Excellent point, under $500 doesn't leave many good revolver options except the LCR.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    FWIW, a 4" barreled Ruger GP100 in 22lr has an msrp of $769.

Just want a cheap plinker that is reliable.

Is there such an animal?
    The SP101 in .22 lr is beautiful and much less expensive than the GP100. Not sure why the MSRP shows over $700 on the Ruger site. I have seen them far cheaper locally. It might be a little small for your mitts though big fella. You could always retrofit it with a larger Hogue grip.

04b82deda571eb4cffa0b830cd7c71d4.jpg

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I don't get this. Other than a complete dud (which I've never experienced) how would a revolver suffer ammo related reliability issues?
    Any of the issues I've ever run into are related to feeding in a semi-auto.
    Light strikes could cause the failure to ignite. Happens a lot when people try to lighten the trigger pull on a .22 revolver.

It is a heavy pull for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom