• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Well like the title says this isn't technically a C&R rifle but parts of it are! Anybody else have one of the semi-auto M31 Suomi's made by TNW? I picked this little beauty up over the summer from a fellow board member.

For those not familiar with this rifle, its a semi-automatic "clone" of the Finnish m31 Suomi SMG used in the Winter and Continuation wars. TNW started making these a few years ago and J&GSales and Centerfire Systems were distributing them. I can say without a doubt that this thing is awesome! I had wanted to get a nice 9mm carbine of some sort but I could never find a Kel-tec sub 2000 and I don't think the Hi-points can take large capacity magazines. The Suomi works perfectly for me since it uses large capacity mags and it fits nicely in my Finn collection.

I haven't really shot it at paper to see how it groups but its been pretty darn accurate for when I've just plinked around at about 50 yards. Only "problems" I have with it is that the thing is unbelievably heavy (which makes recoil non-existent) I don't really like the parkerized finish and the trigger pull is horrible. Other than that though it is one of my favorite rifles.

If any of you other guys have one, I'd love to hear your experiences with it.

Attachments

• DSCN2141.jpg
      DSCN2141.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 373
    • DSCN2153.jpg
      DSCN2153.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 325

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i've been trying to get one of these!
    thats a beauty.
    let me know if you're ever going to part with it.:)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks great - How's the bore?

The bore is perfect. Its kind of interesting because it appears that they used an original suomi barrel and "welded" on an extension to keep the barrel length more than 10 inches. The barrel/barrel shroud comes off very simply with just the flip of a lever, takes less than 5 seconds.

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    I bought one of these from Centerfire systems about 1 1/2 years ago, I had it to the range one time, but unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to shoot for accuracy.
    I had the 71 round drum loaded with (unfortunately) Winchester white box ammo, and it had some problems, I'm hoping, with that ammo. It would fail to eject and stove pipe about every 3 to 4 rounds. I did not have a stick mag or other ammo with me to try them. I can tell you it takes a while to empy the drum mag.
    I did read somewhere, and it eludes me now where it was, that when the rifle is "cocked", and you remove the trigger assembly, THE GUN WILL FIRE, so be very careful if there is a live round in the chamber and it jams!!!!

Last edited:

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I had the 71 round drum loaded with (unfortunately) Winchester white box ammo, and it had some problems, I'm hoping, with that ammo. It would fail to eject and stove pipe about every 3 to 4 rounds.

I had that problem with a shooter-grade P08 using 115gr. After switching to 124gr all the problems went away. My S/A MP-34 also prefers 124gr, and stovepipes with 115gr.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I bought one of these from Centerfire systems about 1 1/2 years ago, I had it to the range one time, but unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to shoot for accuracy.
    I had the 71 round drum loaded with (unfortunately) Winchester white box ammo, and it had some problems, I'm hoping, with that ammo. It would fail to eject and stove pipe about every 3 to 4 rounds. I did not have a stick mag or other ammo with me to try them. I can tell you it takes a while to empy the drum mag.
    I did read somewhere, and it eludes me now where it was, that when the rifle is "cocked", and you remove the trigger assembly, THE GUN WILL FIRE, so be very careful if there is a live round in the chamber and it jams!!!!

Interesting, I think all I've been using in mine is the wolf 115 grain steel cased stuff and its worked without a hitch as long as I have the rifle properly lubricated. I've never loaded and shot with my drum yet, I mainly use the stick mags. I have noticed a few FTF problems but I think that was just me loading the magazines poorly.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    ive been wanting one of these for a long time, but i keep putting it off, other deals and stuff always gets in the way, its so much easier to see some C&R deal, click a few buttons and have it come to me, to get one of these i have to actually do something lol, so i always say im gonna do it, but them something else comes up right at my fingertips a click away.

having to go to VA for mags doesnt help either.

one of these would go awesome with my ppsh-41, which is based on the soumi.

I had that problem with a shooter-grade P08 using 115gr. After switching to 124gr all the problems went away. My S/A MP-34 also prefers 124gr, and stovepipes with 115gr.

where the hell did you find a S/A MP-34!?!?

TALK DAMN YOU!!

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.

This,
    I do want to try some other ammo, and of course other mags.
    All good data though,
    Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom