• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Garand Thumb did a good video on preparing for urban combat. He said something that stuck in my head. The gist was that if you don’t have thermal, you are going to be killed by someone who has thermal.

Having recently acquired a good PVS-14 and a thermal optic, I would have to agree. Thermal appears to have a huge advantage in a lot of respects.

Here’s the video.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    When I hunt with thermal I feel as though I’m cheating. It’s easier , I’m talking way easier to see animals in the middle of the night than at high noon.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Garand Thumb did a good video on preparing for urban combat. He said something that stuck in my head. The gist was that if you don’t have thermal, you are going to be killed by someone who has thermal.

Having recently acquired a good PVS-14 and a thermal optic, I would have to agree. Thermal appears to have a huge advantage in a lot of respects.

Here’s the video.

First, there's only a minority of people who prep. Of those I feel the number of people with thermals are small. I prep primarily for nature/solar disasters. If there's a nationwide/worldwide apocalypse I'd rather not be around for it

I'll stick with thermal underwear

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When I hunt with thermal I feel as though I’m cheating. It’s easier , I’m talking way easier to see animals in the middle of the night than at high noon.
    It’s incredible. They light up. Agree, not even fair.
    First, there's only a minority of people who prep. Of those I feel the number of people with thermals are small. I prep primarily for nature/solar disasters. If there's a nationwide/worldwide apocalypse I'd rather not be around for it

I'll stick with thermal underwear.

I understand that prepping with supplies >> prepping for combat. I think this is an important point to at least consider, even for you. You need to defend your stuff. Of course, you know your set-up and whether having thermal capability is an asset to someone with designs on enjoying your stash.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    It’s incredible. They light up. Agree, not even fair.

I understand that prepping with supplies >> prepping for combat. I think this is an important point to at least consider, even for you. You need to defend your stuff. Of course, you know your set-up and whether having thermal capability is an asset to someone with designs on enjoying your stash.
    That's true, but I look at those decisions from a Risk/Benefit standpoint. Thermals are pricy My prep philosophy is that I can't prep for every contingency so I've chosen those more likely to happen and focus on those. That certainly is a risk as I'm betting on a local/regional event(s)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's true, but I look at those decisions from a Risk/Benefit standpoint. Thermals are pricy My prep philosophy is that I can't prep for every contingency so I've chosen those more likely to happen and focus on those. That certainly is a risk as I'm betting on a local/regional event(s)
    I think the likelihood of benefitting from thermal, and agree that the cost-benefit ratio makes it a low-priority piece of gear for most. My prepping philosophy incorporates a group and mutual defense. About 1/2 of us have thermal and standard NV.

Garand Thumb’s statement got me thinking. I’ve been watching animals in my woods on nice nights lately. Couldn’t figure out where the den was with a PVS-14. I have a very good Gen 3 WP tube. Was really easy with my thermal scope.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    How about stone age NV?

fero4_2212_detail.jpg

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Marine son says: scan with thermal; engage with NV. Given his track record and experience, I will comply.

why give up half of your time to vulnerability (dark) should your adversary employ either nv or thermal?

yep, it ain’t cheap. yep, it’s cool kit.

not for everyone…until you use it once

Risk reducer. game changer

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Great museum piece! Even with good NV, a dude can sit in the brush in a ghille suit an you won’t see him until he moves. Thermal, the mo-fo lights up.

Not my pic, but an IP sold about 25 or more of those here. Prob 2010-2011. They were a big hit at the time for the price... I think they were ~$490.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Is there a relatively affordable thermal sight that could be used during night hikes (not necessarily constant viewing, like helmet mount), and could also be weapon mounted if desired?

I walk dogs a lot in the middle of the night, and we see deer and foxes frequently. Would be interesting to watch them behaving naturally instead of brief glances with a flashlight.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Well, the closest that people in this thread will get to urban combat is the zombie apocalypse. There will be no electricity to power your thermal. Glass optic and a suppressor.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, the closest that people in this thread will get to urban combat is the zombie apocalypse. There will be no electricity to power your thermal. Glass optic and a suppressor.
    You haven’t prepared to generate electricity? Do you practice smoke signals? Comms? Would you have said the same thing to the Ukrainians last year? :spank:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I run a pulsar thermion currently its definitely a game changer. Plan to pick up a burris handheld soon. Been using a combo of thermal and NV to night hunt with. The thermal is awesome for spotting deer at first light too!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I run a pulsar thermion currently its definitely a game changer. Plan to pick up a burris handheld soon. Been using a combo of thermal and NV to night hunt with. The thermal is awesome for spotting deer at first light too!
    Apparently helpful with finding deer that run, too. My buddy has a Burris thermal sight. Works nicely.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    You haven’t prepared to generate electricity? Do you practice smoke signals? Comms? Would you have said the same thing to the Ukrainians last year? :spank:
    Three of my neighbors have generators and no guns.

Since I plan to still have sex after the apocalypse, they will be running all my wifes hair dryers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Three of my neighbors have generators and no guns.

Since I plan to still have sex after the apocalypse, they will be running all my wifes hair dryers.
    You can get a solar USB charger that will do just fine.

You illustrate why defense is important.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Will the sun be burned out?

Will every vehicle on the planet vanish?

Solar panels will work.

Cars can be used to provide power for cell phones, battery chargers, etc.

Even if there is no gasoline or diesel, alternators can be salvaged and jury rigged to be run off other sources of power. There are how-to's on using them to make power from water wheels, windmills, even bicycles.

Heck, in about 2 minutes I could add a 12v dc socket to my lawn mower and use it to charge my cell phone or recharge batteries, like from a NV device.

If you don't have a generator (I do), you'll have to do without AC and your washing machine, but small amounts of power are easy to provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom