• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    People who think that a USB solar charger will power my wife's hair dryers clearly have no grasp of feminine body case. :lol2:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hmmm. Arnold defeated a Predator that could mostly only see thermal - he was a crafty guy that Arnold was. I hope we don't have to battle Predators vs more typical Zombies, or Ovulating Victoria Secret models the former who wants to eat our brains, and the latter wants our loins for the baby batter needed to make more Victoria Secret models - that's how they win.

A Predator with his shoulder thingie that pops up plus his throwing spear and blades that come out of his forearm are pretty bad ass. For sure we would need an AS-007 with the auto-targeting thermal and flip top Pez dispenser to defeat a Predator..

If it bleeds, we can kill it. Let's pray having thermal will be enough.

arnold mud.jpg
    predator.jpg
    thermal.jpg
    aimer.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I will not buy another firearm until I some NV or Thermal gear. Those who have both, if you could only afford one, which would be the better option in you opinion.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I will not buy another firearm until I some NV or Thermal gear. Those who have both, if you could only afford one, which would be the better option in you opinion.
    This is the tracking im on. I know some people have plates and plate carriers, id rather have NV/thermal vs a plate carrier personally.

Predator hunters typically use thermal monocular with a NV scope from the research I've done. I cant answer as to why though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thermal is by a long shot the best for finding. NV can sometimes be better for identifying.
    Thermal. As RRomig mentioned, it’s the best for finding. Personally, I think that’s most important. Unusual, but not unrealistic scenario if S completely HTF is a guy in a ghille suit. I’ll need to experiment, but I can probably stay hidden from 50 meters away even if you have a PVS-14 and maybe if you have an IR illuminator. He’ll light up on thermal. Easy as cake.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It depends on what you want to do. NVGs (Particularly PVS-31As) with IR aiming laser and illuminator = fight in the dark. Thermals let you see stuff that you’d miss with NVGs, particularly on a dark night. IR with thermal clip on or overlay is really neat, but the weight starts getting up there pretty fast and all of a sudden it’s not fun anymore.

If you want to be able to hunt in the dark, I’ll defer to the experts. That said the inexpensive thermal handheld scopes that are available and relatively inexpensive seem a lot better than the cheap IR ones. Not that they’re anything remotely close to the $8,000 thermal scope I was issued, just that they’re a lot better than cheap IR night vision. I’ve thought about grabbing one of the $400 handheld flirs to use as a supplement to my NVGs to see there’s any benefit to it, but got distracted with getting my radio/emergency comms set up.

Long story long, if I wanted to fight in the dark I would go with IR 99 times out of 100. Not sure if that’s what you’re asking though.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Thermal can also find clogs in waterlines, heat loss in your house, and other non prepper uses. Although, heavy winter clothing does dull the heat signature.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Marine son says: scan with thermal; engage with NV. Given his track record and experience, I will comply.

why give up half of your time to vulnerability (dark) should your adversary employ either nv or thermal?

yep, it ain’t cheap. yep, it’s cool kit.

not for everyone…until you use it once

Risk reducer. game changer
    I totally agree. Scanning with thermal and shooting with NV scope, is exactly how I Predator hunt. Thermal finds animals so fast, NV confirms the target, as it’s much clearer.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I got into the thermal game for predator hunting about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. Nothing compares to thermal for scanning. Right now I run 2 scopes and 1 handheld. I do think that nv has advantages for confirming a target, but put that animal in some brush with it not looking at you and those advantages are gone. my only concern with thermal and prepping would be battery life. I am not a prepper by any means, but I know with running 2 thermal scopes on a good night, I can go thru up to 10 CR123 lith ion batteries, and the rechargables dont seem to last about half of the time.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I totally agree. Scanning with thermal and shooting with NV scope, is exactly how I Predator hunt. Thermal finds animals so fast, NV confirms the target, as it’s much clearer.
    This is how we hunt fox and yotes at night. The thermal does take some shots but never before 100% id is made with the nv. I dont want to end up shooting someones dogs thay wandered onto the farm.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Thermal. 100 times out of 100. Just avoid things like ATN (lonestarboars has some good info and comparisons). It really, really does feel like cheating.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Are any of the sub-$1000 monoculars worth it? My use cases are finding animals in fields and woods in the dark, and potentially tracking wounded game.

What would see a deer or coyote at 300 yards, or a turkey in a tree at half that?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    First, there's only a minority of people who prep. Of those I feel the number of people with thermals are small. I prep primarily for nature/solar disasters. If there's a nationwide/worldwide apocalypse I'd rather not be around for it

I'll stick with thermal underwear
    Doc, where are you running to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom