• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I typically lock out digital "zoom" on all my cameras, etc. It gains you nothing.
    Agreed.
    When you are at "4X" you are really at 2X digital laid over a 2X optical...
    Yes, digital zoom cuts apparent resolution. Here are some examples with pics taken this morning:

Squirrel at 30 yards - native/optical magnification 2x:

30ydSquarle2x.JPG

Same squirrel at 30 yards, digital zoom at 4x:

30ydSquarle4x.JPG

Same squirrel at 30 yards - digital zoom at 8x:

30ydSquarle8x.JPG

Same squirrel at 30 yards -digital zoom to 16x:

30ydSquarle16x.JPG

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Agreed.

Yes, digital zoom cuts apparent resolution. Here are some examples with pics taken this morning:

Squirrel at 30 yards - native/optical magnification 2x:

View attachment 463121

Same squirrel at 30 yards, digital zoom at 4x:

View attachment 463123

Same squirrel at 30 yards - digital zoom at 8x:

View attachment 463124

Same squirrel at 30 yards -digital zoom to 16x:

View attachment 463125
    Digital zoom does really degrade the image but it can give you some indication of a heat source at longer distances. That’s the only good thing I can say for it beyond 4x

Ed , do you like white hot better in the day time?

I am leaning toward black hot all or most of the time but I am still learning

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Ed , do you like white hot better in the day time?

I am leaning toward black hot all or most of the time but I am still learning
    Personal preference. I lean toward the "white hot" mode because it tones down the background and makes the overall image darker. I perceive this as being easier on batteries and my eye. I think it also makes the target grab your eye and shows the background/surroundings better. Sometimes switching modes can show something better, or is better for scanning, so it pays to switch around.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Personal preference. I lean toward the "white hot" mode because it tones down the background and makes the overall image darker. I perceive this as being easier on batteries and my eye. I think it also makes the target grab your eye and shows the background/surroundings better. Sometimes switching modes can show something better, or is better for scanning, so it pays to switch around.
    I prefer white hot. I’m sure it varies.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    For hunting I agree with @E.Shell using white hot for the exact reasons listed. My scope has Picture in Picture so I run 2.5 and 4 power. I’ll play with my monocular power some down south but very little because telling a pig and yote from a deer isn’t too hard until it gets way out there.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    So what's the best clip on right now? Something to throw in front of a fixed power or like a 3-9?
    I can't answer your clip-on question, but Brad with East Coast Thermal and Night Vision talked me out of getting one and I went with a conventional scope style thermal (TS35-640). You might want to give Brad a call, he was happy to spend quite a bit of time answering my questions.

I was told that the daylight scope will probably not be able to zoom normally, because of the fact you're not looking *through* the thermal, but *at* it. Your daylight scope is looking at the flat digital display a few inches in front of the objective lens and only so much correction (thermal ocular and scope objective) is available for that close. If you have a low magnification fixed power scope, it would likely be OK.

You might want to really look closely at this before dumping the cash on something that might not work the way you expect it to.

I'm pretty happy with my AGM, works the way it's supposed to and seems to be at a good quality vs cost break point, but I've only had it a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom