• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Okay folks, I'm an 'older' guy". Just to set the stage, when I was a young person, we had a rotary phone on a six party line, no TV. Only later did we upgrade to semi-private telephone (rotary) and three channel Tv that had a test signal. Ok, I need some help. I purchased an ATN Thor 4 nine months ago and don't under the directions to get it sighted in. The basic instructions say turn this do that. While I'm not a complete fool, I'm out of me league. Any help, please. I'm in St Mary's, just pm me. Thanks

Patriot

Dec 31, 2011
    Harford co.
    Okay folks, I'm an 'older' guy". Just to set the stage, when I was a young person, we had a rotary phone on a six party line, no TV. Only later did we upgrade to semi-private telephone (rotary) and three channel Tv that had a test signal. Ok, I need some help. I purchased an ATN Thor 4 nine months ago and don't under the directions to get it sighted in. The basic instructions say turn this do that. While I'm not a complete fool, I'm out of me league. Any help, please. I'm in St Mary's, just pm me. Thanks

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    FWIMBW

Older guys aren’t all Luddites. This one (me) is.

I can relate to c&R Daze. In triplicate.

While YouTube is kinda gold standard for how to, please consider offering to help. In. Person.

Do a technical kindness for a fellow member if and when you can. It would be appreciated.

(Yeah, yours truly don’t know how to turn on the TV. Don’t care to either. Kids have to come home in order to get my digital watch right come DST. Laugh. I do.)

Thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    FWIMBW

Older guys aren’t all Luddites. This one (me) is.

I can relate to c&R Daze. In triplicate.

While YouTube is kinda gold standard for how to, please consider offering to help. In. Person.

Do a technical kindness for a fellow member if and when you can. It would be appreciated.

(Yeah, yours truly don’t know how to turn on the TV. Don’t care to either. Kids have to come home in order to get my digital watch right come DST. Laugh. I do.)

Thanks
    Hear hear! I am in the same boat, however, I was able to find a couple tutorials for my Rattler scope, so I'll give it a crack first.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Shot a couple rats at my buddy's down in the swamp the other night with the 10/22 using WW sub-sonic LRHPs and the AGM TS35-640 thermal scope. They were on the drainage ditch berms around his bird feeders. Thermal scope setting was for 'white hot'.

I had to convert these videos to GIFs to upload here, so they're a little 'choppy'.

This first one was shot at 20 yards with the scope zero at 50 yards, thus the low hold. In the MP4 video, you can see the muzzle blast but it was lost in the GIF. I had a rest to shoot this one:

Rat1.gif

This one used the 25 yard zero and the distance was about 20 yards, so a dead-on hold was used. Pretty shaky because it was shot offhand and the little bastard wouldn't hold still.

Rat2.gif

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Shot a couple rats at my buddy's down in the swamp the other night with the 10/22 using WW sub-sonic LRHPs and the AGM TS35-640 thermal scope. They were on the drainage ditch berms around his bird feeders. Thermal scope setting was for 'white hot'.

I had to convert these videos to GIFs to upload here, so they're a little 'choppy'.

This first one was shot at 20 yards with the scope zero at 50 yards, thus the low hold. In the MP4 video, you can see the muzzle blast but it was lost in the GIF. I had a rest to shoot this one:

View attachment 460709

This one used the 25 yard zero and the distance was about 20 yards, so a dead-on hold was used. Pretty shaky because it was shot offhand and the little bastard wouldn't hold still.

View attachment 460710
    Love these vids
    Great job

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

View attachment 460709

View attachment 460710
    I love a good snuff film! SPLAT!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Cool vids E!

I see most folks have the TS35 (2x magnification). Worth it to spend a little more for the TS50 (2.5x magnification)?

I also see the 'Varmit LRF' series which has a rangefinder and all the buttons on the side. Seems like handy features?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Make the opposite adjustment as you would if it were a traditional scope...still gets me sometimes when i mess with mine
    I'm used to bore sighting where up means down and left means right( can drive a dyslexic like me crazy except I've done so many...). Same principle or the opposite?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Got lucky in Georgia last night. Tipped in around 175 View attachment 460772
    Congrats!

Using thermal I assume? What are you using? What’s your rig?? Did you take any pictures of your hunt?

Here’s a question I have been wanting to ask someone. What’s the chance of contracting trichinosis from wild pork? Other than cooking the heck out of the meat, what are the best precautions to take? We raised hogs for all the good years and we wormed them as needed and required and man it was required.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Cool vids E!

I see most folks have the TS35 (2x magnification). Worth it to spend a little more for the TS50 (2.5x magnification)?
    I've only looked at a gazillion comparison videos and don't have hands-on with anything but the TS35-640, but I think that the difference between the TS35-640 and the TS50-640 is less than the difference between the TS50-384 and the TS35-640. My hands-on with the TS35-640 is pretty much what you see at YouTube and I had expected.

ETA: There is a digital zoom function and the TS35 will do 4x, 8x and 16x, with a corresponding downgrading of resolution. So far, the only appealing settings have been 2x and 4x because once you cut resolution in half twice, the image crispness is getting lost. I'd guess the TS50 would also look pretty good at 2.5x and 5x, but be noticeably less focused at 10x and 20x.
    I also see the 'Varmit LRF' series which has a rangefinder and all the buttons on the side. Seems like handy features?
    Yes.

A rangefinder would be a great addition. The image is quite two-dimensional and since you typically cannot see the target with the naked eye at all, it can be hard to judge distance without solid, known references.

The buttons on the TS35-640 are on top and easy enough to reach, but I keep hitting the wrong ones. That is pretty much an operator/training problem vs a position problem, because you're not going to be able to see either one in the dark.
    Got lucky in Georgia last night. Tipped in around 175 View attachment 460772
    Excellent!! congrats!
    I'm used to bore sighting where up means down and left means right( can drive a dyslexic like me crazy except I've done so many...). Same principle or the opposite?
    The AGM TS series has a reference crosshair that you keep on the aiming point while moving the main crosshair/reticle to the impact point. Literally a one-shot-zero. I used a box and handwarmer.

Last edited:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I sighted mine in with three shots but I believe if you are bore sighting it then it would be pretty much the same procedure

Lock it in something like a lead sled with the thermal scope holding on the bullseye. I used a hot hand wrapped in tin foil and it was easy to see in the thermal scope. Boresight the barrel and see where it’s going to hit. Or use a laser boresight to see. Either way then you follow the directions and while holding the original crosshair on the bullseye you put the sighting in crosshair on the laser point or where you see thru the barrel which I think would be a tad more difficult and not as accurate. I still think shooting it will be required to get perfect.

Mines s Sightmark not a Rattler but the directions seem to be very close to the same

That’s just my experience and what I think, take that for what it’s worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom