• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Is it crap?

I am NOT suggesting that this is competitive with the PVS14. I am hoping that it's better than the $200 crap being sold on Amazon. I know it's not thermal. (but a BTI-10 digital thermal monocular is available)

The requirement I'm trying to satisfy is the ability to see people approaching my property before they see me. Especially during a power outage where all of the street lights are out.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am NOT suggesting that this is competitive with the PVS14. I am hoping that it's better than the $200 crap being sold on Amazon. I know it's not thermal. (but a BTI-10 digital thermal monocular is available)

The requirement I'm trying to satisfy is the ability to see people approaching my property before they see me. Especially during a power outage where all of the street lights are out.
    Min-max'ing cheap digital is a waste of time. Either buy a Sionyx Aurora or make the jump to analog NV or a thermal monocular of some sort.

All digital will be awful to unusable when there's no ambient IR to help assist (aka, during a power outage). That includes the Aurora, incidentally.

Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Min-max'ing cheap digital is a waste of time. Either buy a Sionyx Aurora or make the jump to analog NV or a thermal monocular of some sort.

All digital will be awful to unusable when there's no ambient IR to help assist (aka, during a power outage). That includes the Aurora, incidentally.
    Thanks. The Aurora is actually a price I can live with. How much ambient light do they need to function? Is say, a half moon on a partly cloudy night usable?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks. The Aurora is actually a price I can live with. How much ambient light do they need to function? Is say, a half moon on a partly cloudy night usable?
    What you're describing isn't going to be a good scenario for any digital without some sort of IR assistance. Distance also matters here. My Aurora had half a moon on a clear night but could not really resolve past a hundred yards without turning on IR. It was good with it.

If you are familiar with the AGC 200yd range, here's some photos from an Aurora I took on there:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Sounds like a good plan. You pay a little more than hunting down a used one, but warranty and support can be really good to have.
    What you want is really context dependent on what you're using it for. -14's are great and plenty of bad guys have been shot up by people wearing -14's, but binocular vision is how you've seen for your entire life. If you have dual tubes even though the FOV doesn't increase, it allows your brain to work as it's worked your entire life and you don't have to retrain yourself on moving. You can do it, but there's always going to be an underlying uncertainty because one eye is telling your brain it's safe and the image from your other eye is making your brain think you're gonna walk off a cliff. There is a whole confidence in movement that is hard to describe if you haven't tried them both.

That being said, if that's what you're going to get then I'd do it sooner rather than later. Rumor is Elbit is going to either raise prices or be (near) impossible to find in the near future.
    I just received my PVS14. The picture below doesn’t do it justice. My backyard is pitch black and I couldn’t even see the small stone wall 10 ft from me. I can‘t wait to take it up to my hunting property and really test it.

IMG_7111.jpeg
    IMG_7110.jpeg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just received my PVS14. The picture below doesn’t do it justice. My backyard is pitch black and I couldn’t even see the small stone wall 10 ft from me. I can‘t wait to take it up to my hunting property and really test it.

View attachment 441482 View attachment 441483
    That looks like a great tube! I have one that is probably similar. It’s amazing how it opens up the night. Get a nice IR flashlight and you’ll be unstoppable.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    That looks like a great tube! I have one that is probably similar. It’s amazing how it opens up the night. Get a nice IR flashlight and you’ll be unstoppable.
    That’s the plan, then an IR laser, then a helmet, then a…….. the list doesn’t seem to end :sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That’s the plan, then an IR laser, then a helmet, then a…….. the list doesn’t seem to end :sad20:
    A little advice on that:
    1. Don't buy a ballistic helmet unless you're actually planning to be on a two way range. Get a quality bump helmet from Ops-Core or TW. Check your size carefully before buying. Consider investing in 4D pads as well, they make a huge qualify of life difference.
    2. The knock-off mounts have gotten good enough that they're generally fine for hobbyist usage. I would still encourage you to buy the real deal, but this may be a place you can save money early on.
    3. ALWAYS use a retention mechanism like a lanyard.
    4. The IR laser rabbit hole goes deep. That said, there are reasonably good budget options (Votatu M4L-IR, Somogear PEQ-15, Holosun LS117IR, etc.).
    5. The Holosun AEMS and Mepro RDS are affordably-priced optics that perform quite well under NV.
    6. Don't ever forget that using your gear is the top priority, not continually buying new stuff. Come out to the Runnin Dark shoots and get experience moving and sending rounds down range. You will learn a lot fast.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know the feeling. You do get to the point where you have what you need to rule the night. Your list is a good one.
    A little advice on that:
    1. Don't buy a ballistic helmet unless you're actually planning to be on a two way range. Get a quality bump helmet from Ops-Core or TW. Check your size carefully before buying. Consider investing in 4D pads as well, they make a huge qualify of life difference.
    2. The knock-off mounts have gotten good enough that they're generally fine for hobbyist usage. I would still encourage you to buy the real deal, but this may be a place you can save money early on.
    4. The IR laser rabbit hole goes deep. That said, there are reasonably good budget options (Votatu M4L-IR, Somogear PEQ-15, Holosun LS117IR, etc.).
    5. The Holosun AEMS and Mepro RDS are affordably-priced optics that perform quite well under NV.
    6. Don't ever forget that using your gear is the top priority, not continually buying new stuff. Come out to the Runnin Dark shoots and get experience moving and sending rounds down range. You will learn a lot fast.
    Good advice on all points, erwos.

The bump helmets are cheap, and frankly lighter/more comfortable. If nobody is shooting at you, they are preferable.
    Get a thermal for scanning and you’ll be the apex predator
    I need a thermal monocular for scanning. Using a thermal rifle sight for that is impractical.

Ideally, 3 devices is what is necessary. Quality IR for navigating terrain, a thermal monocular for identifying targets. A thermal rifle sight for termination with extreme prejudice.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    A little advice on that:
    I plan on just getting a quality bump helmet. I’m not going into battle (at least I hope not). I’ve got the optics covered as I’m a bit of an Aimpoint fanboy. I really appreciate all the advice. Being fairly new to NV, I’m trying to learn as much as I can. It’s fun being a newb again :D.
    Tell me more about the Runnin Dark shoots.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For scanning I got Taipan TM10-256 couple month ago. It is quite decent and I'm happy with it. Had an opportunity to compare it to TM15-384 and decided the cheaper TM10-256 is satisfactory for me.
    Thanks for the input! I’ll take a look at it.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I'm about to post my Bering Optics Super Yoter 2-8x if anyone is interested? The lower base mag is perfect for your theoretical urban use (huge fov) and it has the option to double as a scanner (reticle can be removed).

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    This is kind of like racing sports cars. There is always going to be someone out there faster. Just don't come out of the shelter till the sun comes out. That's what Will Smith did in "I am Legend".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom