• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Isn't ToolAA somewhat of an electronics MacGyver? We may not be able to hear that tiny amount of pistol powder rattling around inside the case, but couldn't he rig up some kind of microphone (or automated eletronic stethoscope kinda thing) that could?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My first thought with an uncharged case in a batch as the cause of a squib?

Is there ANY possibility....however remote it may be or however remote it may seem....of a double charged or even an overcharged case in that same batch?
    That's a pretty good point too.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    About 8 months ago I had a 9mm squib that I loaded on a Dillon XL750 with a powder check.
    I mounted a flexible LED over my bullet seating die and I now reload standing up. I get a visual inside the case for every round before adding the projectile. Can I tell if the charge is perfect? No. Can I tell if there is no powder or a dangerous overcharge? Absolutely.

So I hear you but here's my thoughts.

Nothing is perfect however if you're paying attention and have the powder check properly setup, it should have identified the squib. Focusing on 9mm, I mostly reload 115 and 147gr with 4.1gr or 3.2gr of Titegroup and have to re-adjust the powder check when I go back and forth between each recipe. The Dillon check is that sensitive.

Like others, I have a light and try to take a peak in each however on a progressive, given the multiple stages and activities happening, there's a ton of distractions and it's easy to miss something. With powder check, to cause a squib requires two oops - not dropping powder and powder check not alerting. With visual inspection, there's a third.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I hear you but here's my thoughts.

Nothing is perfect however if you're paying attention and have the powder check properly setup, it should have identified the squib. Focusing on 9mm, I mostly reload 115 and 147gr with 4.1gr or 3.2gr of Titegroup and have to re-adjust the powder check when I go back and forth between each recipe. The Dillon check is that sensitive.

Like others, I have a light and try to take a peak in each however on a progressive, given the multiple stages and activities happening, there's a ton of distractions and it's easy to miss something. With powder check, to cause a squib requires two oops - not dropping powder and powder check not alerting. With visual inspection, there's a third.
    I've often found that with Dillons(550 in my case), mistakes are extremely rare except when something hangs up, causing a mental distraction. That's usually were my problems tend to occur. It's very easy to miss a powder drop or double one up. It took me a while to realize, whenever a stoppage happens, I need to observe everything in the rotation and make doubly sure everything is in sync before I begin pulling the lever again.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I've often found that with Dillons(550 in my case), mistakes are extremely rare except when something hangs up, causing a mental distraction. That's usually were my problems tend to occur. It's very easy to miss a powder drop or double one up. It took me a while to realize, whenever a stoppage happens, I need to observe everything in the rotation and make doubly sure everything is in sync before I begin pulling the lever again.
    100% - Most of the hiccups I’ve encountered on my 750 were driver error.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Isn't ToolAA somewhat of an electronics MacGyver? We may not be able to hear that tiny amount of pistol powder rattling around inside the case, but couldn't he rig up some kind of microphone (or automated eletronic stethoscope kinda thing) that could?

Of course I’ve been overthinking this simple problem in the hopes that I can come up with some overly complicated solution that has a better than 50% of creating some even more complex problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Of course I’ve been overthinking this simple problem in the hopes that I can come up with some overly complicated solution that has a better than 50% of creating some even more complex problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go for it Rube! :D

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I had a couple of squib loads awhile back while loading unique on a Lee Progressive press. NOT a repeatable offense! Anyone that suggests, lightly, that you should just be "aware" of each shot has obviously never experienced how different various squib loads can feel... some are obvious, some not so much
    these were all in a Sig P226

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Whenever I contemplate reloading, it’s post like this that grind the thought to a halt.
    It's not that scary. You've shot enough to know shooting is very tactile. You know by feel more than anything when something isn't right. I shoot thousands of rounds of 9mm each year. One squib and I caught it. Shot many, many 300Blk subs, suppressed, with hearing pro on, and I caught that squib. Usually, reloading squibs, at least in my case, are the result of powderless rounds. The bullet usually stops at the rifling, causing a stoppage, so even if you wanted to keep shooting, you usually can't. That said, you already know by sound a feel there is something amiss.

If there is anything worth fearing, it is a half charged round, more than likely from a factory manufactured cartridge, lodging half way down the barrel. I have never experienced that in all my years.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I had a factory .380 go half way down a 3" barrel. Luckily the oily powder charge didn't have enough energy to fully cycle the slide and it also semi-stove piped

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Got a couple pistol barrels at work that were jugged by someone firing another round into a stuck one. All with factory ammo.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I've had 3 squibs, all from no powder charge with just the primer pushing the bullet out of the cartridge and sticking before clearing the chamber so the next round wouldn't load. One of the squibs was in a rifle that I was letting someone else shoot. As soon as he pulled the trigger I knew something wasn't right and stopped him immediately. I think he knew it too. Fortunately I've never had one stop half way down the barrel and I hope I never do. But if does happen I'd like to think I would detect something was amiss before pulling the trigger on another round.

I think it's Highpoint that has a cut-a-way view of one of their rifles with 10 or 11 rounds stuck in the barrel from someone firing round after round following a squib. We should all be so lucky!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'd weigh them and pull down any light ones. Some may be due to case/bullet weight variations but it beats doing them all.

IME, the Dillon powder check will easily catch a no powder situation.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    It may be just as fast to pull them but. If you have access to a good stethoscope you may be able to hear the powder if you hold the round against it and shake. Would still be interesting to try it.:D

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It may be just as fast to pull them but. If you have access to a good stethoscope you may be able to hear the powder if you hold the round against it and shake. Would still be interesting to try it.:D
    Oh, thats a good idea!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Unique is a large enough powder flake that I'm not sure I'd want to use it on a progressive with an automatic powder measure, although I can certainly understand using it if it's a preferred powder, or if it's the only powder you have. I load 9mm with the following powders and have never had an issue:

Bullseye
    Titegroup (This seemed to burn really dirty for me)
    Power Pistol

Surprisingly I've never used HP-38/W231 or Universal for 9mm.

Outrider commented that the Dillon 550 is a tough press to screw up on. My biggest distraction is that when loading small pistol and I'm decapping on the press, is that spent primers wind up on the press body between the ram and the primer shuttle, and it prevents the primer shuttle from getting fully into position. That causes a stoppage. Once I get that cleared, I have to be mindful of where I left off.

The nice thing about the 550 is that if you are ever in doubt, you can just stop, assess where you are, and do a total reset of that step pretty easily.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Unique is a large enough powder flake that I'm not sure I'd want to use it on a progressive with an automatic powder measure, although I can certainly understand using it if it's a preferred powder, or if it's the only powder you have. I load 9mm with the following powders and have never had an issue:

Bullseye
    Titegroup (This seemed to burn really dirty for me)
    Power Pistol

Surprisingly I've never used HP-38/W231 or Universal for 9mm.

Outrider commented that the Dillon 550 is a tough press to screw up on. My biggest distraction is that when loading small pistol and I'm decapping on the press, is that spent primers wind up on the press body between the ram and the primer shuttle, and it prevents the primer shuttle from getting fully into position. That causes a stoppage. Once I get that cleared, I have to be mindful of where I left off.

The nice thing about the 550 is that if you are ever in doubt, you can just stop, assess where you are, and do a total reset of that step pretty easily.
    I have been nettled by the same thing. I've even put some upgraded parts there to smooth things out, but it still happens on occasion. Often times, you get that spent primer hiding back near the drop tube, preventing new primers from seating all the way. Nothing's perfect I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom