• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have been nettled by the same thing. I've even put some upgraded parts there to smooth things out, but it still happens on occasion. Often times, you get that spent primer hiding back near the drop tube, preventing new primers from seating all the way. Nothing's perfect I guess.
    I did two things that have almost completely eliminated that issue for me.

1. I created a little chute out of cardboard so that there is no gap between the primer drop and the cup. As you can see it's pretty high tech - I cut up a primer box and taped it in with aluminum duct tape.

2. I put a little metal magnet on the side of the primer chute door so that when the ram is raised, there's some additional weight to hold that closed so it won't prematurely drop a primer.

IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The RCBS bullet puller is going to make this process a lot easier. $25 plus $13 for the 9mm collet. Probably should post in the “tools that saved hours of your life thread”

So pulled 43 so far in about 5min. One looked visibly undercharged by 50% so I set that aside.

#44 had no charge whatsoever.

5% failure rate, that’s bad. I’ve got to get a powder cop or something to ensure that I never have this problem again.

Maybe that also explains why the squib in the Sub2K was fairly easy to remove while the squib in the PC was so hard to extract. It was surely 5-10mm further into the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The RCBS bullet puller is going to make this process a lot easier. $25 plus $13 for the 9mm collet. Probably should post in the “tools that saved hours of your life thread”

So pulled 43 so far in about 5min. One looked visibly undercharged by 50% so I set that aside.

#44 had no charge whatsoever.

5% failure rate, that’s bad. I’ve got to get a powder cop or something to ensure that I never have this problem again.

Maybe that also explains why the squib in the Sub2K was fairly easy to remove while the squib in the PC was so hard to extract. It was surely 5-10mm further into the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow! I keep the RCBS puller rigged in a single stage right next to my Dillon. It is set up for whatever I am loading at that time.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I use a hammer puller - so far I haven't come across a situation where I felt a dedicated bullet pulling die was warranted. I'm pretty sure my Dad had one though because I have a box of 30-06 he loaded where the bullets are reclaimed GI bullets.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Unique meters good enough on a Dillon. Shooting over a chronograph yields acceptably consistent velocities. It also has the advantage that it completely fills a 9mm case. Pretty much impossible to double charge. I’ve gone through nearing 30lbs worth on an XL650

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Unique meters good enough on a Dillon. Shooting over a chronograph yields acceptably consistent velocities. It also has the advantage that it completely fills a 9mm case. Pretty much impossible to double charge. I’ve gone through nearing 30lbs worth on an XL650
    I'll have to keep that in mind. I've got a fair amount of Unique - at least a pound and a half - and that would load up a fair amount of 9mm and 45 auto in addition to the 41 and 44 mag I usually use it for.

Esox

May 16, 2015
    Contrary to what others are saying, I would not pull 1000 rounds because you "might" have a squib round somewhere in the batch. You should always pay attention every time you pull the trigger keeping an ear out and feeling for a squib round. Especially with hand loads but also with factory ammo. If you pull the 1000 rounds and reload them who's to say it couldn't happen again?

This.
    Pay extra attention when you're shooting this particular batch

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom