• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Right, I wonder if your relatives could sue the state if you applied for a permit and was denied, then a few weeks later you were gunned down... I wonder how that would play out.

It would be no different than if you never applied at all. Having a permit and having a weapon is no guarantee that one WOULD have been successful in self defense.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013

I read each of those stories and they don't answer my question. In the first the poor guy would not have been able to retrieve a gun from the rear of his SUV or locked case and load it, the others the gun was already out (illegally)

I don't like the law either. The law is what needs to be changed, positing some kind of work-around or justification will always be a crap-shoot in the courts in MD.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I read each of those stories and they don't answer my question. In the first the poor guy would not have been able to retrieve a gun from the rear of his SUV or locked case and load it, the others the gun was already out (illegally)

I don't like the law either. The law is what needs to be changed, positing some kind of work-around or justification will always be a crap-shoot in the courts in MD.
    Again, there is nothing in MD law that requires the handgun to be in the rear of the vehicle or in a locked case. The laws requires it to be in an enclosed holster or a case. It can be on the seat beside you and a full mag can be right alongside of it. People need to start reading g what's actually in the law.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Again, there is nothing in MD law that requires the handgun to be in the rear of the vehicle or in a locked case. The laws requires it to be in an enclosed holster or a case. It can be on the seat beside you and a full mag can be right alongside of it. People need to start reading g what's actually in the law.

Yup, lots of misinformation here. I think it's a good question and one I have wondered about.

So my co-worker was driving out of the city stuck in traffic when a seemingly gang or drug related dispute occurred next to him on the sidewalk resulting in a handgun pointed at him with traffic boxing him in. By the Grace of God he was not hurt, but it was a close call. Slightly different scenario would bring up this question.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

law and recommendations can be interpreted as one in the same. it is recommended the gun be the furthest point from the driver and the magazine empty. what the law stipulates can possibly make your traffic stop a fatal one or at the least, a confiscation from an uninformed trooper or LEO. (legally speaking) as ambitious as it gets in this state, always play it safe to the umth degree.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    law and recommendations can be interpreted as one in the same. it is recommended the gun be the furthest point from the driver and the magazine empty. what the law stipulates can possibly make your traffic stop a fatal one or at the least, a confiscation from an uninformed trooper or LEO. (legally speaking) as ambitious as it gets in this state, always play it safe to the umth degree.
    Where did you come up with these "recommendations"? Let's stick to the law when answering questions such as that op asked.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Where did you come up with these "recommendations"? Let's stick to the law when answering questions such as that op asked.

the recommendations came from a few LEO's that i work with (fed/state/county). they are the good guys who want to protect the good guys with guns. no debate here, just the facts. the OP asked a question and i saw, as you did, some bad advice, so i thought to add what i know. nothing more. i am not a lawyer nor an expert and those who profess the same on these types of forums make me wonder.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    now that i think about it, to an average citizen or LEO, which poses the greatest threat. the thug with his firearm in the trunk in a locked case, with an empty magazine, separate from the gun and ammo several feet away OR the businessman in his pin striped suit, with a gun in the passenger seat, magazine in the well and ammo box of the floorboard on the same side? interpretations, common sense, recommendations and law. ultimately it is up to the law abiding citizen to make the decision on how to travel with a gun, how to store it and how to treat it in a responsible manner. just like the "hands up, don't shoot" mantra, i am sick and tired of hearing people say "it is my right" without responsible, actionable and unending moral legal ownership. "A regulated militia" simply meant a trained society in the proper use and ownership of firearms. carry how you wish, just be aware of the consequences of foolishness.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County
    I transport mines to and from the range in a gun case that has a combination lock in the backseat.

Quick question though guys, if I am going to visit family in somewhere like ocean city and will be staying in a hotel, that hotel would be my temporary residence so I would be able to take my pistol right?

I'd rather have the law answer than a opinion please.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Right, I wonder if your relatives could sue the state if you applied for a permit and was denied, then a few weeks later you were gunned down... I wonder how that would play out.

Actually that did happen. The state won the case, because the person that was killed was not able to show that they were subject to higher than normal danger, than the rest of the general public.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I transport mines to and from the range in a gun case that has a combination lock in the backseat.

Quick question though guys, if I am going to visit family in somewhere like ocean city and will be staying in a hotel, that hotel would be my temporary residence so I would be able to take my pistol right?

I'd rather have the law answer than a opinion please.

Don't ask us. Ask an attorney that question. Also keep in mind that the cleaning staff might see the gun/gun case and steal it, so you would be on the hook for that. In addition, if you look at a lot of the hotel/motel papers, they also say NO FIREARMS.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County
    Don't ask us. Ask an attorney that question. Also keep in mind that the cleaning staff might see the gun/gun case and steal it, so you would be on the hook for that. In addition, if you look at a lot of the hotel/motel papers, they also say NO FIREARMS.

Well the hotel I stay at in ocean city is not the typical hotel, it's a apartment complex. So there is no staff. And he doesn't mind at all. But no I'd rather ask knowledgeable people right here. There are quite a few people in this section who actually study the law and know the law and give outstanding information. I'm not dealing with no attorney general. And you should not try and speak for ::us:: if you don't have anything knowledgable to say regarding the question then skip over it. It's clear that others have no problem giving the information.

Are you trolling me dude? Naughty naughty naughty

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well the hotel I stay at in ocean city is not the typical hotel, it's a apartment complex. So there is no staff. And he doesn't mind at all. But no I'd rather ask knowledgeable people right here. There are quite a few people in this section who actually study the law and know the law and give outstanding information. I'm not dealing with no attorney general.

There is a big difference between the members here and a competent attorney or lawyer. The advice you get on here is worth exactly what you paid for it, ZERO. I never said anything about going to ask the AG of MD.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County

Like this brother right here, he taught me something in this post that I did not even know.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well the hotel I stay at in ocean city is not the typical hotel, it's a apartment complex. So there is no staff. And he doesn't mind at all. But no I'd rather ask knowledgeable people right here. There are quite a few people in this section who actually study the law and know the law and give outstanding information. I'm not dealing with no attorney general. And you should not try and speak for ::us:: if you don't have anything knowledgable to say regarding the question then skip over it. It's clear that others have no problem giving the information.

Are you trolling me dude? Naughty naughty naughty

If I was going to troll you after you edit your posts, believe me I would be. I'm just letting you know that you will get all kinds of answers and you should seek out a lawyer to get the answers you want.

Grow the hell up.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County
    I'm not paying no lawyer for questions like this. Whose to say there aren't any lawyers on this forum? Or have brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers that are lawyers so they have a leg up on law. Like I said the brother up above told the facts regarding transporting a pistol. I paid zero for it and it is correct and I am thankful for that brother knowing his stuff. You shouldn't have a issue with me asking questions. It's not like I'm going to go out and get in trouble and say well mister assassins from Maryland shooters told me.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom