• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    law and recommendations can be interpreted as one in the same. it is recommended the gun be the furthest point from the driver and the magazine empty. what the law stipulates can possibly make your traffic stop a fatal one or at the least, a confiscation from an uninformed trooper or LEO. (legally speaking) as ambitious as it gets in this state, always play it safe to the umth degree.

Been a cop almost twenty years. Pistol always in plain view right next to me at the console, under my leg, etc... never been shot by a cop on a traffic stop yet when he saw my gun. And before I tell them I'm a cop.
    You make it sound like all cops draw and shoot immediately.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County
    Been a cop almost twenty years. Pistol always in plain view right next to me at the console, under my leg, etc... never been shot by a cop on a traffic stop yet when he saw my gun. And before I tell them I'm a cop.

I am planning to try and become a cop next year. Wish me luck.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Here's the thing about Transport related questions , there are always at least four different answers :

1. Actual Statute

2. Official " Recomendations" of various LE and gov't agencies.

3. What the random individual Ofc says/ thinks/ does .

4. What a wise and somewhat prudent person does/ sugguests.

Numbers 1 and 2 usually conflict. Number 3 is all over the map in every direction.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Every situation is unique, so one has to use their best judgement, regardless of what 'the law' may be interpreted to mean. That will get sorted out later. If one's life is in danger, one should defend themselves (or protect others). Even MD law recognizes this. Do what's right. Be decisive. Stop fearing 'the state' or waiting to ask for permission. Sometimes, it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lotsa good posts here

1. You likely have a duty to retreat

2. Once you load up, you are now carrying without a permit and will likely be charged as such

3. Once you discharge, you will likely be charged for that too (you're on a road, right?)

If your life is truly on the line maybe all that is worth it.

Way too many ifs here. It's probably a loosing proposition.

IANAL

1) Yes

2) Open carry

3) Possibly

But if you have a handgun on the passenger seat in plain sight, I would expect some EXTRA attention from a LEO in a normal stop. But it can be out of sight, with a loaded mag, also out of sight, and be pretty handy if needed.

I would prefer it to be constained somehow, if no other reason, it I needed it, and it was loose on the seat, after a quick stop or accident, where would it be???????

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Just don't have a dog sitting next to you. Never can tell what reaction that will bring from an LEO. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Attachments

• torifj.jpg
      torifj.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 102

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    depends on where your stopped, if in the city, by all means protect yourself, nobody is really putting any effort in finding out who did the shooting

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would say it is better to die than face the court. That's just me. I love rules. :D

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Maryland has no stand your ground law outside the home, so you would have a duty to retreat.

Hypothetically, if you were cornered, maybe, but then again I don't think your allowed to transport the gun loaded, so someone might ask why you didn't use the time you spent loading the gun to retreat.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Maryland has no stand your ground law outside the home, so you would have a duty to retreat.

Hypothetically, if you were cornered, maybe, but then again I don't think your allowed to transport the gun loaded, so someone might ask why you didn't use the time you spent loading the gun to retreat.
    Only takes two second to stick a mag in.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    look up comar for 4-101...
    Capture.jpg
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/
    criminal law->title 4 -> subtitle 1 -> 4-101

So, under "reasonable apprehended danger"...you'd be able to load up and carry. This would be determined by the court, so you'd still have to lawyer up and prove your innocence.

As far as your scenario, md's castle laws only apply at home. Outside of your home, you have a duty to retreat and you could only use the minimum amount of force necessary to stop the threat. If you were being chased by someone you believed was intent on harming you, theoretically you could invoke 4-101's defense to load up and carry to protect yourself from the "apprehended danger". If and only if you were out of options and had no means of retreat or using lesser force, and were in fear of imminent bodily harm or death, then yes...in that scenario you could have a pretty solid legal defense.

It will of course be important that you immediately shut up, only directing police to where they may find evidence that helps out your case(such as shell casings nearby to prove the threat was actively firing at you....once they leave the scene, they're gone and won't be evidence for your defense). Aside from directing them where to collect evidence(in a smart way) only say, "I want to speak to my lawyer"...if anything at all. You WILL have to defend yourself in court.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    "...reasonable apprehended danger applies to those who hold job positions and or political office or one who has documented threats against their person, family members excluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Wouldn't lie living in one of the most dangerous cities in the world put one at a danger level to warrant a w/c peit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom