• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Sad... NY Gov Hokum saying, "They have removed our right to unreasonable restrictions"??!

Idiot.
    Fixed it for her.

Asked for comment, President Brandon replied, "Frimerkksvbitm."

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I agree. I just texted somebody that the first person denied a CCW in Maryland because of a lack of good and substantial should file suit immediately. He was asking if Hogan will change the requirement overnight. Told him that Hogan should. He think that Hogan will drag his feet. Personally, I think this gives Hogan a reason to change it overnight and I am guessing, based upon Hogan's relaxation of CCW requirements for business owners, that Hogan wants to change it overnight. We shall see what Hogan does.
    Mustache boy has already come out and said nothing will be changed in MD until he reads the decision.

The way I understand it is that Lawn Chair Larry makes the decision and if sh!tbag wants to stop him he would have to sue

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    A good and substantial reason is no longer a reason to deny your CCW.

My guess is that licensing is the next thing to be litigated. Should people have to pay money and be licensed to exercise a Constitutional Right? CCW, HQL. Wish they would do away with both licensing schemes that are barriers to exercising one's Right.
    So at this point if you have never applied, just do the 16 hour training, then apply minus G&S?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Hasn’t the HQL already been challenged and it held up? Maybe that was in the state court so this fed ruling changes things?
    SCOTUS rule just obliterated the logic behind the HQL.

As a matter of fact… Maryland has been issuing HQLs to anyone who acquired a CCW permit in this State, without further requirements.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Ok - so what does this mean for us Marylanders. Can I now apply and get a CCW?
    I went down this path before, was a PITA. This was like 10 years ago, forget what exactly happened, but there was a mad rush to get CCW, ultimately the rug got pulled out from underneath us. Hopefully, this time it's for real.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I went down this path before, was a PITA. This was like 10 years ago, forget what exactly happened, but there was a mad rush to get CCW, ultimately the rug got pulled out from underneath us. Hopefully, this time it's for real.
    This was a SCOTUS decision. Not reversible, no appeal. It’s real.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    For those who forgot, all C&R handguns (i.e. those 50 years old or older or declared as C&R by the ATF) can be purchased without an HQL. While this does narrow the pool significantly, there are many good guns from 1972 and earlier that you can buy.

As for the ruling, my interpretation is that the state cannot put an undue burden upon exercising the right to carry a weapon for self defense. Having arbitrary rules such as "just cause" which place a disadvantage on the average person is now strictly prohibited. This logic could open up some really interesting cases against other unpopular restrictions in the future such as magazine capacity limits for some and others. Today really is a great day.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hasn’t the HQL already been challenged and it held up? Maybe that was in the state court so this fed ruling changes things?
    HQL was upheld in the US District Court of Maryland. I was there for the oral arguments. However, the US District Court Judge relied on intermediate scrutiny to justify the decision and the state's ability to regulate the 2nd Amendment. Bruen now says that strict scrutiny and intermediate scrutiny are not to be used. The argument on the HQL was whether strict scrutiny or intermediate scrutiny should be used by the Court. Now, SCOTUS is saying neither should be used. There is no second test to be used to determine if a state should be allowed to limit a Constitutional Right.

Great news!

But the pessimist in me thinks the powers that be in MD. are scrutinizing the ruling to find ways to make getting a CCW in Maryland as cumbersome and difficult as possible.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Yep...they have been expecting this and have been crafting clever ways to make sure the average person either cannot afford a permit or find the regulations for compliance so cumbersome or hard to comply with that they don't bother.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    How the heck are they going to grant a stay on the decision so that both sides can decide whether to appeal? An appeal to where? God almighty?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What's outrageous is that, in a state with one of the most violent shit hole cities in the country, an elected leader would actively stand against their citizen's right to self defense.

F her, and those like her.
    Well said

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom