• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    For a long time, DD214 was basically footing the bill out of pocket. We resisted any contributions at all for a long time because they honestly weren't needed.

We adapt as the times change.

In the future, we might find ourselves at a junction where we have to change our model, but that's not my decision to make. This is where we are and where we want to be. As long as it works, we'll keep it that way.

If it ever goes to a tiered forum like ARFCOM, I'd gladly pony up every year to keep the lights on for my internet home.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Seems like we had something similar to "Brew Babes" and "Bar Bitches" on our forum in the Water Cooler called "Girls With Guns" but somebody made it go away.:sad53:

Yea Girls with Guns was a good series of threads.

Brew Babes was full monty though :D A few members even use to post pics from their "private collections." :D :D

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Donation sent for a much appreciated service.
    I hope I don't get banned for this comment, but here goes; I see this forum getting large enough to be bought much like TidalFish. I loved that forum, and Brandon is a first rate guy. Once the pop up Banners start, it ruins the service. So if this happens, I applaud you for your work and a payoff. Until then I'll just live in the moment and enjoy the forum. Thanks!

I think a banner in the blue areas would be OK.
    ad.jpg

Now, some forums have popups, and some have this BS where they make certain keywords hyperlinks and clicking or even putting your cursor over it takes you to the ad is annoying as hell! I would be down with static banners in the blue boxes, especially if they were MD businesses.

Feb 28, 2013
    View attachment 140827

Now, some forums have popups, and some have this BS where they make certain keywords hyperlinks and clicking or even putting your cursor over it takes you to the ad is annoying as hell! I would be down with static banners in the blue boxes, especially if they were MD businesses.

We had to go to stuff like that on my other home. We had to resort to letting people advertise and charging them to keep the lights on over there. Now we get to look at advertising banners between every 5th post of so.

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    View attachment 140827

as long as the add;s didnt get out of hand I would be ok with some static or rolling add in the upper corner.. ...

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    We had to go to stuff like that on my other home. We had to resort to letting people advertise and charging them to keep the lights on over there. Now we get to look at advertising banners between every 5th post of so.

What are the approximate annual costs to host a forum of this size? $1,000? $10,000? $100,000?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I for one am glad DD214 and the other managers have decided to let the forum stay as is. No ads or banners really makes this place unique. So many other sites have banners, ads, etc. I'd rather pony up (no pun intended) some dough when asked than have to put up with all the revenue generating stuff like so many other sites do.

Keep up the good work fellas.

Last edited:

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    I for one am glad DD214 and the other managers have decided to let the forum stay as is. No ads or banners really makes this place unique. So many other sites have bannersd, ads, etc. I'd rather pony up (no pun intended) some dough when asked than have to put up with all the revenue generating stuff like so many other sites do.

^^^ this.... :thumbsup:

Feb 28, 2013
    What are the approximate annual costs to host a forum of this size? $1,000? $10,000? $100,000?

That I couldn't tell you. I never asked the owner on my other home about that. But I do know we have about 150,000 members there.

If MDS keeps growing like it is, it may not be long before they need a means to finance it somehow.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I for one am glad DD214 and the other managers have decided to let the forum stay as is. No ads or banners really makes this place unique. So many other sites have banners, ads, etc. I'd rather pony up (no pun intended) some dough when asked than have to put up with all the revenue generating stuff like so many other sites do.

On shotgun world, you can pay a small fee to be a "bonus" member. Bonus members don't see ads, whereas non-bonus members get a bunch.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Which would make it a paid site, which Norton has told us the owner and mods of the board wants to avoid.

I applaud the decision.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ^^^^^^

THIS

Your membership here is not predicated on paying. You get the same privileges whether you donate or not. So if you don't donate,, what have you paid?

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Unless MDS is a non profit, soliciting and taking donations make it a 'paid site.'
    ^^ Not this.

He meant that in the sense of charging folks to be members.

Merely asking for contributions is a horse of a different color.

^^^^^^

THIS

Your membership here is not predicated on paying. You get the same privileges whether you donate or not. So if you don't donate,, what have you paid?
    ^^ These two. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom