• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Not to derail the thread I was looking at getting one in 45acp as I just did my Utah carry class . I like the full size XD in 45 and was wondering if even with the recall was it worth even looking at one right now ?

It is not under recall (only the XDS)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Not to derail the thread I was looking at getting one in 45acp as I just did my Utah carry class . I like the full size XD in 45 and was wondering if even with the recall was it worth even looking at one right now ?

Yes, nothing really comes close to the 45 version, a bit short on capacity, but it is the most firepower you can fit in a pocket, and it practically dissapears IWB. The recall was for a minor flaw overlooked in the design that would never affect 99% of those who own one, with the changes it is as good as it can be, the only problem was springfield's handling of the recall, which they are working on making right.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I recently got my XDS back from SA and took it to Free State today. The trigger is a little heavier, but feels much better. It is more smooth and seems to break better. The gun seems more accurate, probably due to the better trigger. Here is 58 rounds at 5 yards:

u6u7a2e8.jpg

Here are the remaining 92, fired at 7 yards as fast as I could get a sight picture:

asa4aqah.jpg

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Just got a note from Springfield today saying because of the government shutdown, they have experienced a delay in getting some parts. Somehow I don't think I'll see mine before Christmas.:mad54::mad54:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Here it is:

"Dear Springfield Customer,
    Due to unforeseen importation delays – caused by the recent government shutdown – we are awaiting receipt of a large shipment of parts that will be needed to complete future upgrades. This frustrating delay may push our return schedule back by approximately two weeks for some customers. But, we remain committed to achieving the fastest turnaround times possible."

Figures, they already have a major customer relations debacle on their hands and now Springfield is tacitly blaming the Republicans and the Tea Party! Maybe the PR people handling the OwebamaCare rollout will have a job at Springfield next. :sad20: So much for getting the pistol I purchased in early August, and never even fired, back before Christmas. Had I known this the Glock 30s would have been far more attractive to me. :mad54:

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Hey guys I still haven't sent mine in due to this debacle. Been shooting it without any issues. When do you think is a good time to send it in?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hey guys I still haven't sent mine in due to this debacle. Been shooting it without any issues. When do you think is a good time to send it in?

I would probably wait until after the holidays but I probably wouldn't shoot it in the meantime.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Shoot it, enjoy it, just make sure you are pressing in the grip safety during ALL gun manipulations, especially when chambering a round. The issue is that after firing, and the striker has dropped, the grip safety arm can holds down the sear when the slide cycles failing to reset the trigger and it presents a slim chance of firing inadvertently. Now if the trigger is forward and the pistol is at rest the grip safety arm does block the sear from moving rearward, so it works in that reguard. I'm predicting it will be around march before Springfield gets all their buffoonery worked out about this, and the turnaround time is less than a month, once that happens I'll probably send mine in.

I do carry it, so knowing it has an unfulfilled recall presents more of a liability than if it were a simple range gun. if I ever were to have to use it in a less than perfect shooting. The only fear I have of waiting too long is that all the extra people brought in to handle the recall are probably temps. When the turnaround time is fast enough that they let the temps go, and only their normal workers are doing the recall the turnaround time might increase if enough pistols are still coming in. you can keep an eye on the XD forums for turnaround time, when it's low enough send it in if you want.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    And the weather outside is frightful . . . SA says it will be back by Christmas? I don't believe them, and even if they do deliver, I have already become quite accustom to other options. What a PR and CS debacle for SA, very unfortunate for an otherwise highly regarded manufacturer :(

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Mine is due back in 2014 April I think.

It is handgun 1 of 2. I am stuck with it. My only regret from SB281 race to the finish.

On a happier note I now have one AR per family member.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Returned to SA on 9/13
    Received by SA on 9/16
    Today 12/20 - "Your Recall Status: Your Gun has been Fixed"
    Hopefully it will go out today and I will get it back Monday or Tuesday?
    Either way it will be more than 100 days turnaround time.

Kinetic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    I sent mine in on 8 Jan.

This is from their website-

" All XD-S™ pistols received between Dec. 14 - Dec. 27, 2013 will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Feb. 14, 2014."

Currently looks like a 2 month turnaround. We shall see.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Finally got to shoot it (.45) at Free State today. I have to say I am impressed with how smooth the factory trigger is. Not a single operational problem, and more than enough accuracy (and power of course) in a compact self-defense pistol. Despite the bad CS - I like it. Surprisingly, it wasn't the least bit uncomfortable to shoot. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, just look for the tell tale pin in the grip safety to know it already has the upgrade - they are out there I saw them at Timonium yesterday.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Good to hear! Glad you finally got it back!

Finally got to shoot it (.45) at Free State today. I have to say I am impressed with how smooth the factory trigger is. Not a single operational problem, and more than enough accuracy (and power of course) in a compact self-defense pistol. Despite the bad CS - I like it. Surprisingly, it wasn't the least bit uncomfortable to shoot. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, just look for the tell tale pin in the grip safety to know it already has the upgrade - they are out there I saw them at Timonium yesterday.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Good to hear! Glad you finally got it back!

Yeah, I started to whine like a baby but it did really tick me off. Of course if the pistol sucked I would have really thrown SA them under the bus, but it looks like a winner - and that's what is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom