• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Your choice for a 45acp concealed carry weapon?

• SW M&P Shield

Votes: 12 13.6%
    • Springfield XDs (probably 4")

Votes: 23 26.1%
    • Glock 36

Votes: 21 23.9%
    • other, please elaborate

Votes: 33 37.5%

• Total voters

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    While I would not limit myself to .45, we're not talking about me.

Other options would be the Sig 245 or 220 compact and the S&W M&P 45c (that one might be too fat).

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    A 30s is less hefty than the standard 30 if this is what you have. Regardless my vote would be for any 1911, particularly one w/ a 3 or 4 in barrel.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The 30S is significantly narrower at the slide and lighter, without losing capacity. It's basically carrying a 10 round g19 in 45acp dimension-wise. Moving to the 36 you lose a good amount of capacity, without really trimming up the gun that much. If you're already used to glocks, I don't see a reason why you should switch over to another platform to get a shield or xd. I'd absolutely not go with a 1911 for a carry gun, because...well... technology and all that. 1911s require more maintenance and upkeep than most any modern polymer pistol.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A 30s is less hefty than the standard 30 if this is what you have. Regardless my vote would be for any 1911, particularly one w/ a 3 or 4 in barrel.

The 30S is significantly narrower at the slide and lighter, without losing capacity. It's basically carrying a 10 round g19 in 45acp dimension-wise. Moving to the 36 you lose a good amount of capacity, without really trimming up the gun that much. If you're already used to glocks, I don't see a reason why you should switch over to another platform to get a shield or xd. I'd absolutely not go with a 1911 for a carry gun, because...well... technology and all that. 1911s require more maintenance and upkeep than most any modern polymer pistol.
    I won't rule out a 30s, I realize the benefits over the std 30 and comfort of carry is a primary concern, so it's an option for sure.
    Original xd-s 3.3 barrel. Mines really accurate and eats all ammo. Wears IWB like nothing at all
    I would also consider the 3.3" bbl, but I do prefer a slightly longer sight radius. That said, it would be for up close and personal, so sight radius is not a primary concern.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most single stack compacts are still fairly large, the 3.3XDS and Kahr CM45 are small enough to be worth the loss of capacity, and still shootable. The G36 is a relatively big pistol, only has essentially a "+1" mag that increases grip length. Got to shoot a 45 shield last weekend, shoots nice, but like the 36 is more a midsized pistol than a true compact, my XDS45 seemed small by comparison. Despite being an early XDs45 owner, I didn't carry it for long, it is small and thin, LOVE the choice in factory extended mags with matching sleeves, but it's not meaningfully smaller than more potent pistols, and IMO there isn't a huge difference between the best defensive loads in service calibers, especially 40 and 45. If I'm carrying light in hot weather, a baby GLOCK is smaller, fits in a pocket, or disappears IWB, easier to shoot, and has double the capacity. In cooler weather, I have no problem carrying my G30 and G19, both are about the same footprint of a G36(especially the 19), but have almost double and triple the capacity, holster design alone can add or subtract more than the size difference between the 3.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would venture to say the folks making a lot of these suggestions haven't carried a IWB firearm for any lengthy period of time. Some of the suggestions are uncomfortable at best.

I would personally look at the 30s or MP45 once it's approved. I wouldn't want anything larger than a G19 sized firearm and would not want short barrel or single stack 5 or 6 shots either.

Some of the heavy guns recommended would be great for weekend out of state carry when it's a novelty to do so. If it's going to be carried everyday I'm betting a lot of these guns would eventually be left home for the weight and size.

I bought a 229E2 with every intention of carrying it daily and it was just too big and heavy compared to other options. I've also carried a 5 inch FNS IWB for a trip to the mall once and decided it was to large. Stuck with a MP40C and now a FNS Compact....just about perfect size and weight for me where you aren't killing yourself and your not giving up barrel length, side radius, grip length, and capacity. I wouldn't want anything bigger or heavier then a G19/23.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/professional-lightweight/

this is what i got a few months ago in .45. rides in a milt sparks summer special 2 iwb leather holster at 4-4:30.

Need to be careful buying a Wilson in Maryland. Because of the way our Handgun Roster works and the way Wilson has a model name for every slight variant in their various lines, many guns don't show up on the Handgun Roster. Scott's Gunsmithing has 2 in 'purgatory' right now awaiting approval by MDSP. They were purchased and transferred from one of our customers over 3 months ago. Davsco: Aren't you glad you live in 'Murica!?

Not sure if the Professional Lightweight would fly regarding the roster as a 'Professional' (although it might). The 2 in purgatory are Professional Tactical Carry, IIRC.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I voted XDs in 45. I love mine, but it's actually the 3.3" version. The only thing I don't like, common to many carry guns, is my pinky hangs off the grip with the standard 5 round mag. So, I fixed it! I carry the gun with a 7 round extended mag. While recoil is a bit snappy, it's far from unmanageable and I actually shoot very well with it out to 25 yds! Surprisingly accurate, I believe, for a compact gun. FYI, until that gun, I always shot 45s out of 1911s with the exception of a Hungarian FEG I had for a few years (and actually the FEG is a fairly decent gun....but a bit heavy for as compact as it is).

Agred. The xd is my winter ccw. I also use the 43 in cargo shorts summer carry

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Another vote for the Springfield XDS-45 3.3" version. I carry it everywhere where legal to do so. It's very accurate with standard pressure .45 auto to be such a small gun. I'll also carry the Glock 30S sometimes IWB. It's noticeably thinner and lighter than the 30 or 21 and can take the same magazines as both.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Need to be careful buying a Wilson in Maryland. Because of the way our Handgun Roster works and the way Wilson has a model name for every slight variant in their various lines, many guns don't show up on the Handgun Roster.

it's amazing and very saddening and really appalling that our (your) legislators have all these inane rules that do absolutely NOTHING to protect their citizens. if they're allowing any of the double stack glocks, they should be allowing ANY single stack 1911.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    My Glock 30S for concealed carry, but my Kimber Super Carry Pro for open carry. However, I actually prefer to carry 9mm or .40 over a .45.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I live in a state where I carry everyday...I carry mainly full sized handguns. Typically a series 70, P226, or 92FS. My vote was 1911 because I am very comfortable with it, and I shoot it well. I trust my life DAILY to my Colt. It is thin and easy to conceal for me. Cover shirt, and I'm golden. If you dont shoot a 1911 dont carry one. Dont buy into the historical ******** about how good certain things are. If i suck with something I dont carry it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom