• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This ^^^^^^^ times 10.

No cryptology in this message. No secret decoder ring required. Not having the time I formerly spent hanging out in these threads I really appreciate that.

I am an AGC Action Shooting RSO. I never shot at AGC, but came from another range to assist with the inaugural Steel Challenge match several years ago and have participated in at least one of the Action Shooting events every month since - except one. I purchased a range badge and renew every year.

Of course it cost a few coins to set up the Action Shooting Bays. Anyone with eyes can see it is was a worthwhile investment. The influx of shooters (both members and non-members) to these events is stellar. The events are exceptionally well run and safe.

I am not an accountant, and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but am confident in saying the proceeds from Action Shooter events likely outpace other revenue streams at the AGC. After the original outlay, I can’t imagine how Action Shooting is a drain on other AGC events.

I have never heard an organizer or participant at any Action Shooting event complain, conspire or otherwise express an agenda untoward any of the other disciplines available at AGC. Quite the contrary. Disappointing to see inbound insinuations and a little mudslinging about a supposed agenda here online.

AGC has a lot to offer and is the hands down best outdoor facility in the metropolitan area. From what I see folks volunteering and running the organization continually strive to find ways to make things better and more sustainable for the entire club. I suspect current management would welcome constructive criticism. Cryptic and divisive online sh@t stirring? Probably not so much.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This ^^^^^^^ times 10.

No cryptology in this message. No secret decoder ring required. Not having the time I formerly spent hanging out in these threads I really appreciate that.

I am an AGC Action Shooting RSO. I never shot at AGC, but came from another range to assist with the inaugural Steel Challenge match several years ago and have participated in at least one of the Action Shooting events every month since - except one. I purchased a range badge and renew every year.

Of course it cost a few coins to set up the Action Shooting Bays. Anyone with eyes can see it is was a worthwhile investment. The influx of shooters (both members and non-members) to these events is stellar. The events are exceptionally well run and safe.

I am not an accountant, and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but am confident in saying the proceeds from Action Shooter events likely outpace other revenue streams at the AGC. After the original outlay, I can’t imagine how Action Shooting is a drain on other AGC events.

I have never heard an organizer or participant at any Action Shooting event complain, conspire or otherwise express an agenda untoward any of the other disciplines available at AGC. Quite the contrary. Disappointing to see inbound insinuations and a little mudslinging about a supposed agenda here online.

AGC has a lot to offer and is the hands down best outdoor facility in the metropolitan area. From what I see folks volunteering and running the organization continually strive to find ways to make things better and more sustainable for the entire club. I suspect current management would welcome constructive criticism. Cryptic and divisive online sh@t stirring? Probably not so much.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If anyone here is upset about my not fully airing dirty laundry on a public forum, get over it!

I have at various times, served as vice president of a charter club, executive officer of another club, as well as serving as trustee for 10 years. I have donated thousands upon thousands of dollars of material and labor to the range. I was the one who brought a dozer to the range and reworked the impact berms, at zero cost to the AGC. That was just prior to the All States National Pistol Championships that used to be held there. We received numerous compliments from shooters who came from all over the country. I donated to that event also. I have more than paid my dues.

I really don't care what discipline uses the 200 yd range, or any other, with one caveat, SAFETY must take top priority. I seriously doubt you will find anyone more pro shooting than I am. I am always helping others whenever help is needed.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I will no longer comment on the matter.
    Good. No facts, just a bunch of insinuation and a big spoon to stir the pot.

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    May Meeting Agenda and motions on fee increases.

Attachments

• May 3 2022 - AGC Meeting Agenda.pdf
      317.4 KB · Views: 110

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Wow! So, looks like they are actively trying to discourage instructors from using the range. And bumping daily guest fees 50%. Interesting.
    Instructors will just pass it on to students.

tbh, I expect a massive demand for W&C classes. Instructors will probably be able to pass on 200% of the increase to students. Unless Thomas says constitutional carry should be the law.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Guntry requires instructors who use the range to become members. That’s $600 a year.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    $25 is high, but it's not excessive compared to most ranges I've trained at. Bumping the CIO admin fee from $50 to $500 is really going to be the bit that hurts, I imagine. $500 a year to just have the ability to use the range will probably drive some of them elsewhere. Guntry may charge $600 a year, but they're also an indoor range that is going to provide a much more comfortable newbie friendly experience... I'm not sure I think it's an apples to apples comparison. Does CIO include AGC membership?

Bumping the guest fee up even further is somewhat inexplicable to me, too.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Instructors will just pass it on to students.

tbh, I expect a massive demand for W&C classes. Instructors will probably be able to pass on 200% of the increase to students. Unless Thomas says constitutional carry should be the law.
    Unless they do it in one of the action bays with portable turning targets they can move up and downrange, I don't think the place is well suited to the W&C's practical/shooting test, is it?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Unless they do it in one of the action bays with portable turning targets they can move up and downrange, I don't think the place is well suited to the W&C's practical/shooting test, is it?
    IOTA holds a lot of classes at AGC, including W&C and HQL. Instructors use the portable targets on ropes that they can reign in.

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    It does not really answer the question. I would like to see more training opportunities at AGC, but unfortunately, it does not seem like a priority for the organization.
    In my quick read, it does not appear that CIOs must be badge holders. Not totally sure.

There does seem to be a love/hate relationship between the AGC administration and the CIO organizations. Not sure why. AGC appears to tolerate them because they want the money. Some clubs still do training, some for a fee and one or two offer training classes for free.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    $25 is high, but it's not excessive compared to most ranges I've trained at. Bumping the CIO admin fee from $50 to $500 is really going to be the bit that hurts, I imagine. $500 a year to just have the ability to use the range will probably drive some of them elsewhere. Guntry may charge $600 a year, but they're also an indoor range that is going to provide a much more comfortable newbie friendly experience... I'm not sure I think it's an apples to apples comparison. Does CIO include AGC membership?

Bumping the guest fee up even further is somewhat inexplicable to me, too.
    $500 a year for someone using the range as part of their business doesn‘t seem that high to me?

The $25 does seem like a lot for the couple of shots they take but I guess there is premium for an increased risk for a rookie mistake?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I drive 30 minutes farther North.....$75/year. Covered Ranges out to 200 yds., Trap Range (Mon. Night & Thurs. afternoons) $5/25 targets, 2-25 yd. Pistol ranges, and Sporting Clays twice a month @$10/50 targets. Everything I want/need and, oh yeah....50% off membership if you participate in work days.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There does seem to be a love/hate relationship between the AGC administration and the CIO organizations. Not sure why. AGC appears to tolerate them because they want the money. Some clubs still do training, some for a fee and one or two offer training classes for free.
    I think the disconnect is that when I think "training", I think "advanced classes" from nationally-known, USPSA GMs, famous trainers like Steve Fisher, Scott Jedlinski, Bill Blowers, and so on. Not "basic bitch CCW or HQL" classes, which are a dime a dozen and don't require much in the way of facilities. Flatly stated, the AGC clubs do not have the members to deliver the former, and the apparent rules-driven inability for clubs to host the SMEs doesn't help. I hate driving to VA, PA, and WV to take decent classes, so I'm just griping that I wish AGC could help on this front.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom