• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    It’s smart to try to educate yourself because yes, some FFLs will just push what they have and belittle what you may want and tell you lies or half truths.

I’ve always had good experiences with Tyler firearms in Halethorp. Not AR specific for my purchases but they are a good crew. They are my go to first FFL.

I’ve had good experiences with Brian and crew at South Carrol Sporting Goods. Bought an AR from him at one of the MD shows. Been to the shop with questions about milsurps.

2A Sales in Jessup is good too. Bought an AR there as well as other things over the years.

They are all IPs as well.

Not sure about any in Harford proper.

Cindys Hot Shots is not an IP but they have a large selection of handguns and long guns. They are also a range. Not sure if they rent rifles or not.
    What about IWI? Any thoughts? I ask as the shop that I bought my 22LR suggested that.

I like coming onto any forum and getting the real deal from guys such as yourselves... just have a passion for the hobby and aren't looking to make a buck (although I'm always happy to buy rounds for people's time and expertise!). It's real world experience with little to no strings attached. I'm not a millionaire, I can't afford to buy multiple guns until I find the right fit and I don't want to start with crap.

The good thing about local places is that all their inventory will be MD compliant.
    That's true... but I'd like to find the model I want (and the reasons why I want it) on here and then go to a local place and see if they can match or have one kicking around to check out.

Really appreciate everyone's time... I'm sure you've all answered some of these questions many times over. Appreciate your patience.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What about IWI? Any thoughts? I ask as the shop that I bought my 22LR suggested that.

I like coming onto any forum and getting the real deal from guys such as yourselves... just have a passion for the hobby and aren't looking to make a buck (although I'm always happy to buy rounds for people's time and expertise!). It's real world experience with little to no strings attached. I'm not a millionaire, I can't afford to buy multiple guns until I find the right fit and I don't want to start with crap.

That's true... but I'd like to find the model I want (and the reasons why I want it) on here and then go to a local place and see if they can match or have one kicking around to check out.

Really appreciate everyone's time... I'm sure you've all answered some of these questions many times over. Appreciate your patience.
    I mean you can see what models they have, then do your research online to help weed out models you can't get in MD. Makers, models and things. Just leave your money and credit card at home and you should be good.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Give these guys a call and ask what they have on hand...

Give these guys a call and ask what they have on hand...

It gets even better...

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    In my opinion, The IWI Zion-15 is the best dollar to quality ratio on the market.
    He has spoken. IWI makes good stuff I know that for sure.
    It gets even better...
    That's awesome guys, thanks a TON!!!

I will check them out!

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    You asked above what I thought about IWI. I have no experience with them but you got that answered by those more in the know than me.

Also, JLowes is good people.

From what I can see, that IWI is advertised with a HB. I think you found your rifle .

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    Reviews like this are great to read. I have no idea why anyone would just go to the closest shop and take their word for it. I want to give people the benefit, but more often then not they're just shady salesman. Straight from their Google page;

"All of the firearms I saw were also very competitively priced. You don't have to worry about getting ripped off here like you do at many other gun stores."

"Have been dealing with John for years. Fair prices and knowledgeable. All of the Tactical Shepherd guys are helpful as well. Easy to talk to and ask questions unlike some of the other gun shops I've visited."

I'll be heading there for sure.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I feel like the OP should find something he likes then ask if it's GTG or not. We can throw all kinds of info at him until he gets confused again.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    True.

I suggested Jlowe's because he knows weapons, inside and out, and he is in rob.wmp's neck of the woods.
    I am not OP. I kind of jumped in and asked various questions.. and I'm glad I did. Jlowe sounds like the perfect place to me.

Funny.. I just did work at his neighbors house a few months ago.. never even noticed his store.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I am not OP. I kind of jumped in and asked various questions.. and I'm glad I did. Jlowe sounds like the perfect place to me.

Funny.. I just did work at his neighbors house a few months ago.. never even noticed his store.
    Yup. I know you're not. That doesn't mean you get helped. Whenever I address an OP's question this far down a thread, I address them as OP. :)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You asked above what I thought about IWI. I have no experience with them but you got that answered by those more in the know than me.

Also, JLowes is good people.

From what I can see, that IWI is advertised with a HB. I think you found your rifle .
    I can also recommend JLowes. Been happy with my purchases there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No Sir, I don't think you're steering me away at all... I try to limit my questions and do plenty of research on my own before asking anything... but I don't know what I don't know. HBAR or heavy barrels is certainly one of them. I tried googling and I think I'm more confused then I was before I knew anything. This law sounds dumb. What is the point to having ~ a lb more on the barrel then any other gun of that caliber?

It doesn't make any sense , if you try to find logic , you'll be forever confused , and have a headache .

Oversimplified :

In 2013 , the Maryland General Assembly really , really , really wanted to outlaw All AR-15 . Achieving an exemption for HBAR was a positive development .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom