• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    I don't see anyone talking about training/practice. I run atleast 50 rounds of 9mm with my G19 per week. In addition to that I practice with my G44 and run 200 to 300 rounds of 22LR. They are identical firearms except weight and caliber. I'd carry the G19 along with a few hundred rounds in molle bags, depending upon how much other stuff you have. If you are driving, Keep a case of 1000 9mm in trunk. I have a S&W M&P FPC with Romeo MSR Green Dot that is my truck gun.
    Thousand rounds in the trunk sounds like a bad idea, especially when the morons crash into you and set you on fire.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I still think transportation is the priority if the goal is...well... transportation from where he is to where you are. A lightweight motorcycle that can go on or off the road combined with a handgun is about ideal to quickly scoot from a bad area to a better area. Tossing in a pack with some essentials....like maybe a ballistic panel, monocular, emergency blanket/med kit, extra loaded mags(bonus if the handgun is a g19 and the backpack mags are 33 rnd stick mags), a lifestraw/water purifier, some calorie dense food like peanut butter, and waterproof poncho ... would somewhat complete the package.

If the goal is to get out from a more urban area to a suburban rally-point where everyone hunkers down, transportation that allows you to go fast while ignoring roads if need be is pretty ideal. A handgun that conceals for personal defense, and some basics in a pack should give enough options to handle unpredictable things along the way.

The bike also allows for a gang favorite of a main driver and a passenger on the back with a PDW of some kind. Having a passenger with a krink on the back along with the ability to go where cars cant is a heck of a capability.

igotyoubeat

Apr 27, 2014
    As far as firearms go i would think a G17 or G19 with 17 round mags are a good option. I would add in a AR-15 Pistol and build it to be as light as possible. The firearms probably aren't as important as figuring out your logistics of traversing a would be hostile environment. I think getting a good understanding of your possible routes and then driving the routes probably cant hurt. While driving the routes its probably a good idea to scout out areas that you would possibly use as camps along the way. It may be good to actually walk the actual route in small segments to get a better understanding of the area.

Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    I still think transportation is the priority if the goal is...well... transportation from where he is to where you are. A lightweight motorcycle that can go on or off the road combined with a handgun is about ideal to quickly scoot from a bad area to a better area. Tossing in a pack with some essentials....like maybe a ballistic panel, monocular, emergency blanket/med kit, extra loaded mags(bonus if the handgun is a g19 and the backpack mags are 33 rnd stick mags), a lifestraw/water purifier, some calorie dense food like peanut butter, and waterproof poncho ... would somewhat complete the package.

If the goal is to get out from a more urban area to a suburban rally-point where everyone hunkers down, transportation that allows you to go fast while ignoring roads if need be is pretty ideal. A handgun that conceals for personal defense, and some basics in a pack should give enough options to handle unpredictable things along the way.

The bike also allows for a gang favorite of a main driver and a passenger on the back with a PDW of some kind. Having a passenger with a krink on the back along with the ability to go where cars cant is a heck of a capability.
    Bikes are a PITA in the winter.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't see anyone talking about training/practice. I run atleast 50 rounds of 9mm with my G19 per week. In addition to that I practice with my G44 and run 200 to 300 rounds of 22LR. They are identical firearms except weight and caliber. I'd carry the G19 along with a few hundred rounds in molle bags, depending upon how much other stuff you have. If you are driving, Keep a case of 1000 9mm in trunk. I have a S&W M&P FPC with Romeo MSR Green Dot that is my truck gun.
    If your vehicle becomes disabled for whatever reason. Are you going to hump all of that all the way home? I wouldn't.

Train regularly. Not everyone has a chance every week to train. Some have the time to train annually, some monthly or quarterly. Which is good enough.

When you train, train with ammo discipline in mind. You are going to need those thought processes when the time comes.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

If the ammo isn't in magazines for your G19, are you going to use it for barter?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My friends in Garrett County suggest getting there before they blow the bridges.
    Your friends in Garrett County won't be alone.

Every crossing point on the Chesapeake Bay and the Susquehanna River from Norfolk VA to Harrisburg PA, a distance of about 300 miles, there are only 11 road crossings and a few railroad bridges and they will all be guarded by someone. Probably they will be guarded, maybe by different groups, on each side in order to control who enters and/or exits the local territory. Some may be guarded by government entities and some by gangs, others by citizen "militias" and many won't let "undesirables", or destitute people enter; or they may "charge" a "toll" to cross. Others will just take whatever you have that they want and still refuse entrance.

Now multiply that by every bridge or choke point that exists between where you are and where you want to be and you see the problem with bugging out after it starts. Look at the people crossing our southern border and imagine what it would be like if instead of welcome from the Border Patrol you got bullets. The Potomac River on the other side of Maryland also has limited crossings.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Get an AR pistol and keep it in one of those black, soft nylon cases where you can hide the strap until you need it. Along with 120 rounds of 5.56 in four magazines the weight it 16 lbs.

Smacduff99

Feb 17, 2012
    West Virginia
    Glock 19 because of it's greater magazine interchangeability/availability. G19 can use G17 mags, but not the other way around (too short).
    AR9 type pistol that takes Glock mags, or AR15 pistol which has the advantage of rifle cartridge.
    Either one in a non-descript (not military looking) back pack with small spare ammo supply.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Get an AR pistol and keep it in one of those black, soft nylon cases where you can hide the strap until you need it. Along with 120 rounds of 5.56 in four magazines the weight it 16 lbs.
    folder bag.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A trunk gun would be a no go as he works for an employer that will not allow any firearms on the property. The common assumption he has is he, and possibly his roommate, would hunker down with a camp stove and supplies they have for a week or two and then

Well shoot ! We've all been having the wrong conversation .
    The Real Question is how to get from the Office to the home , unarmed .

Within the given parameters - Nothing that would provide any meaningful benefit .

Don't give yourself ulcers and high HP worrying about what you can't effect . It probably won't happen on any given day , and if it does react to the situiation in front of you that moment .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thousand rounds in the trunk sounds like a bad idea, especially when the morons crash into you and set you on fire.

Ammunition in fires is greatly overblown . A case of 9mm and a brick of .22lr isn't 1% the danger of the gas tank itself .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Speaking for myself, I don't see any practical means of escaping MoCo in extremis; where to go, and how to get there, and for how long?

Anyway, I'm not leaving my dogs behind. So I'll sit on the porch with some refreshments and an AR15, and see what develops. BTW, body armor might be a good idea, even before it all goes south.

Reality says find a sympathetic rural community that is or can be self-sufficient, and move there before TSHTF. Can't do that? Live out your escape fantasies, and don't worry, you won't have to do it for long.

kenrim

Jan 27, 2024
    10MM, G40 & 10MM Kriss Vector. They use the same mags and the 10MM is accurate and has great knock down capability.

sfworet

Dec 20, 2019
    It seems to me that this is a silly conversation, but I'll be your huckleberry. Do you really believe the country could go from zero to total anarchy between the time your son leaves to go to work in the morning and the end of his work day? Seems like shit will be brewing long before that. He may need to make the bugout call before the situation is that dangerous. I'd say some situational awareness is in order, but worse case scenario you can't beat a standard roll out kit, an SB Carbine that fits in a backpack, a pistol in your selected caliber, low profile body armor and a bug out bag with the necessary supplies and equipment to get where he needs to be. The last thing you want to do is look like a full on combatant. LE might confuse the friend foe thing. Other considerations are urban escape and evasion training. Dress to blend in, organic muted colored clothes. Learning first aid and how to hot wire a car might be valuable as well as defeating locks for shelter or cover. Not to mention you the dad, should find a link up site somewhere near the middle that you could safely meet and pick him up if he's on foot. The ultimate goal is to get home and not fire a shot. Let's hope and pray but I doubt it will get that bad without some sort of obvious ultra extreme events.

Personally I'm with Bob A. Gonna sit on the porch and protect the castle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom