• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    And spend some time building ties to the community, just owning the land may not cut the mustard.
    Landlords ain’t neighbors. “Owners” won’t draw any water in a post event world. Papers at the courthouse will be just that. Paper.

Popcorn Sutton’s cousin once said to me….”folks warnt meant to live that close to each other.” There’s many layers there.

VRBO and AirBnB places will quarter whomever squats there first…with the acquiescence of the folks who live in that holler

No rules. Just right.

Ed note. “If they dint bring money, there’d be a bounty on them.” That’s during high times. Not afterwards

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Clannish with a C. Yes they are. They also have a very different value system that most here might appreciate but not fully understand right away. They have little interest in “tell me” and are bigger on “show me.”
    That is a word I thought only some of us locals used. Yes, there are a few that are "my family", "my cousins", ect. But most of them are your "rednecks" as city people view them. They only associate mostly with their kin or closest friends. Good news is they are fewer and fewer as time goes on. Hell about 12 years ago maybe, we had a Canfield chasing a Kefauver on 4 wheelers and exchanging gun fire. Deputies shut all the roads down and that was right next to the battlefield. I was like Crap, I don't have any popcorn and no one gave me a heads up to the show!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    That is a word I thought only some of us locals used. Yes, there are a few that are "my family", "my cousins", ect. But most of them are your "rednecks" as city people view them. They only associate mostly with their kin or closest friends. Good news is they are fewer and fewer as time goes on. Hell about 12 years ago maybe, we had a Canfield chasing a Kefauver on 4 wheelers and exchanging gun fire. Deputies shut all the roads down and that was right next to the battlefield. I was like Crap, I don't have any popcorn and no one gave me a heads up to the show!

It’s Appalachia in a word.

Appalachia, true mountain folk are live and let live…right up until SSS becomes the single solution.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I had the same thought awhile back and wanted a sub2k for the mag compatibility. The issue is that besides folding and taking glock mags it's just not a very good gun. Sold my 2k and now I have an SCR lower. 50 state and DC legal, takes m4 mags and uppers.

If it's bad enough that you want to bring a long gun and go overt then it's bad enough that you want a long gun that works well and shoots something more than pistol rounds.

If not and you're just blending in then leave it in the trunk vault. Just cause you have it as an option doesn't mean it needs to be deployed.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    As to original guestion.
    a inexpensive hi point in same caliper as hand gun carried.
    down side is they are not the lightest carbine out there to carry ,second choice break down 10/22 .light to carry compared to monkey gun.
    both inexpensive.

Question ,how would you conceal it and secure it in the trunk? My truck has lockable storage under back seat so never really thought about secure trunk carry?
    what are the options.?

DrewBroglie

Sep 12, 2023
    Edgewater MD
    What are your suggestions for a get home gun? My son lives and works in the Odenton area and lives in an apartment. He doesn't have any guns, but I wanted to give him one as a get home gun. Say monetary, society or the grid falls. He would have to travel 32 and 70 to get back here. I was thinking our G17 with three mags of 147 grain hollow points. He is an excellent rifle shot, and I was thinking some kind of carbine might be a better solution for anything over 20 yards. Obviously avoid engagement at every chance. The only long guns I have that I don't use are the Marlin 336A in 30-30, some bolts, Wingmasters, but they aren't really practical in a car if needed. My favorite handgun is my 1858 with a 45LC conversion in it. That 8" barrel make it accurate like a mini carbine compared to shooting other hand guns. I would qualify it as hunting capable if MD considered it legal. I have 60 yard confidence in it compared to 30 yard with the Glock or P365.

What round/gun would you consider giving to your kid?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    When SHTF there are only two types of people, those who have a gun and those who don’t. People will avoid granny on the porch with her late husband’s bolt action .22 the same as they will avoid Rambo in full kit. No one wants to get shot at and there are plenty of unarmed people to choose from as your victim.
    At some point water becomes more important than ammo when fleeing to a safer area. The idea that you’re going to fire hundreds of rounds is fantasy. The idea that your feet become so blistered from walking in unsuitable shoes and you can’t go any further because you are dehydrated is much more probable. The gun is an important part of the plan but not the most important.

Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    What are your suggestions for a get home gun? My son lives and works in the Odenton area and lives in an apartment. He doesn't have any guns, but I wanted to give him one as a get home gun. Say monetary, society or the grid falls. He would have to travel 32 and 70 to get back here. I was thinking our G17 with three mags of 147 grain hollow points. He is an excellent rifle shot, and I was thinking some kind of carbine might be a better solution for anything over 20 yards. Obviously avoid engagement at every chance. The only long guns I have that I don't use are the Marlin 336A in 30-30, some bolts, Wingmasters, but they aren't really practical in a car if needed. My favorite handgun is my 1858 with a 45LC conversion in it. That 8" barrel make it accurate like a mini carbine compared to shooting other hand guns. I would qualify it as hunting capable if MD considered it legal. I have 60 yard confidence in it compared to 30 yard with the Glock or P365.

What round/gun would you consider giving to your kid?
    If you are sharing your collection, I think you are right about the G17, and if you were going to give up the Marlin, I think he would like that one. Naturally an AR would be sweet, and of course a third choice would include a shotgun. I like the Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical, or the 590 mag fed, but it's a pump.

Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    Reality check - That scenario and he's there , he's Eff' ed, and there are no good answers .

The only semi viable solution is awareness and determination to anticipate , so as to Get Out of Dodge 12 to 24 hrs ahead of everyone. Which also includes that it's better to jump too soon for false alarms than be slow the onetime it's real.
    Copy THAT

Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    If 50% of the combined population of DC/ Baltimore metro area is simultaneously trying to do the same thing , there won't be isolated woods to camp behind a camp tarp and dissappear. It will be elbow to elbow people everywhere.
    50% of the DMV population will die of confusion the first day; they will be democrats. Another 25% will die the following week for lack of preparation, or be killed by the 2% who have reverted to animal behavior.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I don't know about that many the first day. I would assume they would get erratic very fast and start turning on each other fast. First week over that though.

A trunk gun would be a no go as he works for an employer that will not allow any firearms on the property. The common assumption he has is he, and possibly his roommate, would hunker down with a camp stove and supplies they have for a week or two and then proceed, if order is not restored. Let the crazies thin each other out before attempting to make the route to here. The roommate would probably travel with him, as he is an escapee of inner Philadelphia and there would probably be nothing there to go back too.

Navy Veteran

Nov 28, 2023
    Princess Anne, MD.
    I don't see anyone talking about training/practice. I run atleast 50 rounds of 9mm with my G19 per week. In addition to that I practice with my G44 and run 200 to 300 rounds of 22LR. They are identical firearms except weight and caliber. I'd carry the G19 along with a few hundred rounds in molle bags, depending upon how much other stuff you have. If you are driving, Keep a case of 1000 9mm in trunk. I have a S&W M&P FPC with Romeo MSR Green Dot that is my truck gun.

Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    I don't know about that many the first day. I would assume they would get erratic very fast and start turning on each other fast. First week over that though.

A trunk gun would be a no go as he works for an employer that will not allow any firearms on the property. The common assumption he has is he, and possibly his roommate, would hunker down with a camp stove and supplies they have for a week or two and then proceed, if order is not restored. Let the crazies thin each other out before attempting to make the route to here. The roommate would probably travel with him, as he is an escapee of inner Philadelphia and there would probably be nothing there to go back too.
    Risking his job to protect his life, seems like a fair trade-off, but,,, I wouldn't do that either. The ride back to a safer environment is going to be the really dicey part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom