HAS ANYONE REQUESTED THEIR REGISTRATION FILE AT MSP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TurkeyTrack

Nov 17, 2012
    So...While I'm waiting on my latest purchase to be approved, now I'm gonna be delayed because a bunch of people want to send in requests for Public Information Act. Who do you think is gonna respond to your request? The same people that are already over worked and can't keep up with background checks.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It ONLY has regulated long guns unless the person voluntarily registered the long gun.

The only problem is when some rifles and shotguns like the .22 AR's and S-12 were being sold as regulated...they will obviously be in the system although not regulated..or are they since they were sold as such??

None the less...regular shotguns and rifles ARE NOT in MSP's system.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    It ONLY has regulated long guns unless the person voluntarily registered the long gun.

The only problem is when some rifles and shotguns like the .22 AR's and S-12 were being sold as regulated...they will obviously be in the system although not regulated..or are they since they were sold as such??

None the less...regular shotguns and rifles ARE NOT in MSP's system.

And that's what I believe to be true. However I think you can't register an unregulated gun if you wanted to. I'm sure the MSP will tell you to go away because they just do not keep track of that info. And they are not going to anything they do not have to do just because you asked them to.

If it's regulated they want the info. If it's not...they will tell you to go away.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    So...While I'm waiting on my latest purchase to be approved, now I'm gonna be delayed because a bunch of people want to send in requests for Public Information Act. Who do you think is gonna respond to your request? The same people that are already over worked and can't keep up with background checks.

Hey man, as taxpayers, we all deserve the same service- and that's MSP's job. Call your reps in Annapolis and ask them how are they planning to enforce new laws if the ones currently in the books are not even being enforces, e.g., wait times and approvals of gun registration.:mad54:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    And that's what I believe to be true. However I think you can't register an unregulated gun if you wanted to. I'm sure the MSP will tell you to go away because they just do not keep track of that info. And they are not going to anything they do not have to do just because you asked them to.

If it's regulated they want the info. If it's not...they will tell you to go away.

You can register any firearm you want. That is why the form is titled as 'voluntary registration'.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Hey man, as taxpayers, we all deserve the same service- and that's MSP's job. Call your reps in Annapolis and ask them how are they planning to enforce new laws if the ones currently in the books are not even being enforces, e.g., wait times and approvals of gun registration.:mad54:

There is no law for going PAST 7 days...just you cant do it before the 7th day.

That's a problem...if they wrote it into the law that states "Must be completed within 10 days" then you have a complaint. The law says nothing about them HAVING to have it done with in 7 days.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    There is no law for going PAST 7 days...just you cant do it before the 7th day.

That's a problem...if they wrote it into the law that states "Must be completed within 10 days" then you have a complaint. The law says nothing about them HAVING to have it done with in 7 days.

You're correct. It says we must wait a minimum of 7 days to exercise our rights and if they don't ever let us exercise them that is ok too.:sad20:

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    With all the talk about registration, and the recent incidents in NY and TX of papers releasing names and addresses of gun owners, I was thinking...

has anyone requested from MSP a copy of their dossier, i.e., any information they may have on you regarding collector status, gun ownership and registration information, investigator's notes for your CCW application, etc.. etc?

I think I will call them tomorrow and ask on how to proceed....it will probably take a FOIA, but I am willing to submit one (have done before with the Feds).

I will let you guys know how it goes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have requested that Delegate Dwyer's staff contact the MSP about this question.

Still waiting for a reply..

Will post as soon as I find out something.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    I contacted the MSP the other week to see if my app was recieved and the trooper pulled up my info and said the only thing he had in the system was my 2 purchases (make and model and purchase dates) of the regulated firearms I purchased last year.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I contacted the MSP the other week to see if my app was recieved and the trooper pulled up my info and said the only thing he had in the system was my 2 purchases (make and model and purchase dates) of the regulated firearms I purchased last year.

Because what is in the computer database is not all of what they have. If you begged him to go to the file cabinet, he may have found something else.

TurkeyTrack

Nov 17, 2012
    PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-121 (2012)

§ 5-121. Investigation of firearm applicant

(a) Secretary to conduct investigation. -- On receipt of a firearm application, the Secretary shall conduct an investigation promptly to determine the truth or falsity of the information supplied and statements made in the firearm application.

(b) Request for assistance. -- In conducting an investigation under this subsection, the Secretary may request the assistance of the Police Commissioner of Baltimore City, the chief of police in any county maintaining a police force, or the sheriff in a county not maintaining a police force.

TurkeyTrack

Nov 17, 2012
    PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-122 (2012)

§ 5-122. Disapproval of firearm application

(a) Grounds. -- The Secretary shall disapprove a firearm application if:

(1) the Secretary determines that the firearm applicant supplied false information or made a false statement;

(2) the Secretary determines that the firearm application is not properly completed; or

(3) the Secretary receives written notification from the firearm applicant's licensed attending physician that the firearm applicant suffers from a mental disorder and is a danger to the firearm applicant or to another.

(b) Notice. --

(1) If the Secretary disapproves a firearm application, the Secretary shall notify the prospective seller, lessor, or transferor in writing of the disapproval within 7 days after the date that the executed firearm application is forwarded to the Secretary by certified mail or facsimile machine.

(2) After notifying the prospective seller, lessor, or transferor under paragraph (1) of this subsection, the Secretary shall notify the prospective purchaser, lessee, or transferee in writing of the disapproval.

(3) The date when the prospective seller, lessor, or transferor forwards the executed firearm application to the Secretary by certified mail or by facsimile machine is the first day of the 7-day period allowed for notice of disapproval to the prospective seller, lessor, or transferor.

milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park
    You're presuming that there even is a "file".

I'd like to hear the results of your inquiry, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we're over estimating the ability of the MSP to have the resources to collate, maintain and analyze all of the of forms and transactions to even put together a "file" on everyone.

When they do bring data together to create one as part of an investigation, I'm throwing out there the theory that the materials are collated after the fact and when someone already has the spotlight on them and they go digging for information.

Without going into too many details, having handled several FOIAs at work this is pretty accurate. Unless you're already on a list because you're a criminal, terrorist, etc, nobody's going to be organized enough to have that single master file on John Q Civilian (and this stuff still ain't that easy to collate even if you're in the former categories).

That being said, I think your request idea is a good exercise to go through. I see there's a lot of discussion after the first page of comments so assuming nobody's shot down the idea later on I'd also be interested in the results (e.g. they gave you something useful, ignored you, told you to pound sand, etc.), as it could impact what I may do WRT registration later on should these bills pass.

...and :thumbsup: on the avatar discussion...cracked my wife up when she read it :lol2:

skinsfan

Apr 1, 2008
    they know...when talking to one of the investigators in regards to my collector status...they said something to the effect of 'well I see here you have 45 purchases on file"....that has to be going WAY BACK as I only still own a few...I assume these were all purchases that required pistol paperwork...I wish I still had anywhere near that number>>>

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom