HAS ANYONE REQUESTED THEIR REGISTRATION FILE AT MSP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Regarding long guns:
    While I own and have owned a small number of rifles and shotguns, and still retain a few, none of them (aside from my EBRs) appeared on the list.

Apparently it would contain only those which were voluntarily registered, back in the days when law enforcement was trusted to do the right thing.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Database

You're presuming that there even is a "file".

I'd like to hear the results of your inquiry, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we're over estimating the ability of the MSP to have the resources to collate, maintain and analyze all of the of forms and transactions to even put together a "file" on everyone.

When they do bring data together to create one as part of an investigation, I'm throwing out there the theory that the materials are collated after the fact and when someone already has the spotlight on them and they go digging for information.

Unfortunately, in todays techno world, a terabyte hard drive of databases would most likely hold all of the records associated with gun registration. All they do is a search with pertinent information input in the search criteria and wallah! Probably no later than 30 minutes later the information is displayed and/or printed.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Is this list or lists in accordance with the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act(Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 926 )?
    No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The MSP is like any other company as far as there are things they are required to do. And like any other company, they are not going to waist any effort doing anything they do not have to do. And you can't make them. They do not have to keep track of any unregulated gun. And they will not waist any time money or effort to do so if they do not have to.

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, and they wouldn't.

BillH

Exalted Grand Poo-bah
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2009
    Ellicott City, MD
    If MSP comes to your door asking to see or talk abut your guns are we under any legal obligation to show them or explain anything? Can't we just tell them we have nothing to say and close the door?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    If MSP comes to your door asking to see or talk abut your guns are we under any legal obligation to show them or explain anything? Can't we just tell them we have nothing to say and close the door?

You can do that. Depending on why they ended up at your door they may have a warrant. If so, then you have to let them in. They will not have a warrant unless they were able to convince a judge that you are involved in some wrong doing.

I can only assume your a law abiding person that is not involved in any wrong doing. If so, they would likely not be at your door.

Last edited:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore

Without a warrant, they can't do anything, although part of the new law getting pushed through does give them expanded powers of seizure and FFL oversight.

For those who have said the MSP are too understaffed to care about good record keeping or harassing innocent homeowners, get in the wayback machine and re-read the threads on the ammo logs that they "encouraged" some stores to maintain. And the unexpected visits to a handful of people who bought ammo for handgun calibers they weren't on record as owning.

The MSP are not the bad guys in all of this however. They take their orders from people at the top who aren't sworn to "protect and serve". Some of the same people trying to get new laws passed. Where there is political will, budgets will be set aside and initiatives created.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Without a warrant, they can't do anything, although part of the new law getting pushed through does give them expanded powers of seizure and FFL oversight.

For those who have said the MSP are too understaffed to care about good record keeping or harassing innocent homeowners, get in the wayback machine and re-read the threads on the ammo logs that they "encouraged" some stores to maintain. And the unexpected visits to a handful of people who bought ammo for handgun calibers they weren't on record as owning.

The MSP are not the bad guys in all of this however. They take their orders from people at the top who aren't sworn to "protect and serve". Some of the same people trying to get new laws passed. Where there is political will, budgets will be set aside and initiatives created.

And don't forget the powder logs.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    When my wife and I became foster parents back in 2007 I had to go the the Jessup MSP to get a print out of all my guns. When the trooper gave me the print out it only had my regulated guns listed. I asked him and about all of my info on the guns I own. He told me that they do not keep any info on unregulated guns at all.

I don't believe this for a minute. People in every government in history have been lied to since the dawn of written history.

MD stated emphatically to the judge that there was NO discrimination on CCW.

One of those female democrats told us during testimony that nobody's gun would be banned, too.

We were also told by the feds that Gun Runner was just a tinfoil hat conspiracy.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I don't believe this for a minute. People in every government in history have been lied to since the dawn of written history.

MD stated emphatically to the judge that there was NO discrimination on CCW.

One of those female democrats told us during testimony that nobody's gun would be banned, too.

We were also told by the feds that Gun Runner was just a tinfoil hat conspiracy.

We will have to agree to disagree. I believe it. The two things you mention they had motivation to tell you what they did. The MSP could not care less about your unregulated guns. And if they did keep track, they would not have a problem telling you so. I was pulling my record of guns on file at the request of the Maryland state social workers at the Department of human resources. If the MSP had this info there is no reason for them to keep it a big secret.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If the MSP had this info there is no reason for them to keep it a big secret.

I'd like to remind everyone that the MSP has an intelligence-gathering arm which functions according to the will of its chief, who presumably gets his marching orders from the Governor who appointed him.

A few years ago, it was revealed that death penalty opponents had their loose organisation infiltrated by agents of the MSP, who were keeping dossiers on the members and reporting on the content of their meetings. It caused a bit of a scandal, as apparently the Left feels it ought to be immune to the tactics it finds approriate to use against its ideological opponents.

You can be assured that the MSP was not at all interested in having its secrets outed. The only real surprise was that it made it into the media. That probably wouldn't happen today.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    your question

Is this list or lists in accordance with the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act(Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 926 )?

The language that you quote pertains only to the authority of the federal attorney general under the federal law. The federal law may not be construed to require a state to keep such a database. There is nothing in the federal statute that prohibits a state legislature from enacting a law that implicitly or explicitly authorizes such a database.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Well I don't like the idea of any data base. but why do you think that if they did keep track of unregulated guns they would feel the need to keep it some big secret?

I think they would tell us and say so what, we can keep track of anything we want. As it is now you have to fill out that form that tells them who you are and what you are buying. Everything in the world is not an conspiracy. 90% of LEO's like the idea of guns in the hands of the law abiding people. Everyone that has a badge is not trying to take your guns.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    So...While I'm waiting on my latest purchase to be approved, now I'm gonna be delayed because a bunch of people want to send in requests for Public Information Act. Who do you think is gonna respond to your request? The same people that are already over worked and can't keep up with background checks.

Me me me me me me me me me me me me.

Why should your rights be any more important than anyone else's?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    She seemed mildly concerned that I might have stuff not on the list. I explained that face to face transactions of this sort were perfectly legal in those strange dark days before she was born;

When was that legal until? Ive always been curious about that. Is there some record of old laws, in case you have to prove that it used to be legal?

Someone has information, during my SF86 interview, my investigator had a list of everything I owned.

Every REGULATED thing, or everything?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    When was that legal until? Ive always been curious about that. Is there some record of old laws, in case you have to prove that it used to be legal?

I don't remember, actually. I don't think I've done a face to face handgun buy since the early 1980s, or maybe earlier.

I'd like to think that the govt would have to prove a transaction was illegal; we still have the presumption of innocence, but I understand the govt is working on that problem.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    FWIW, back at the end of 1999 during the year 2000 scare, I had a Beretta 92 for sale and a guy who owned a security company with his wife wanted to buy it, just in case. They did armed security. We met at the Bel Air MSP and did the paperwork. After he left, the trooper told me it shouldn't be any problem as they already had 9 guns in the system. And that took him all of about 2 min to find out.
    I can't imagine they'd have much if any info on non regulated guns. In fact, if I buy a non regulated gun online I do the transfer thru a PA dealer just to double cover my butt. And they give me a deal to bot.

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    Two things:

My friend has his suspicions that the Powers will infil a church group. It's weird when someone says they are Church material but are utterly clueless; if thats your thing -- it isn't that hard a role to play and someone can't be that stupid. They even said they were part of the Military(?) what? And they are really that dumb, did you hear what she said. :)

Then they fall off the map.

Secondly, don't forget what happened to Joe the Plumber; the woman that released his name and info was chased down a hallway once, only once, by Bill O'Reillys staff but that's it.

They can smear.

Thirdly, but it was cool to hear some say, at the New York release of gun owners info. They shouldn't take all guns away what if "someone like Bush comes into office and we need to protect ourselves [from the opposition] party.
    They mean Tyranny but don't know the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom