• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    As per the Lee reloading site:

Single station presses will load nearly any cartridge. Cartridges are loaded in a batch process, which for example, 20 cases are deprimed and sized then the die changed to seat bullets in the 20 prepared cases. This die changing process is sped up by the Lee Breech Lock quick-change die system. Rifle case reloading is best accomplished on single station presses. For a beginner, a single station press in a kit is the best value.

Turret Press Kits offer single station simplicity and near progressive speed. No need to unscrew dies, and on our current models, the turret advances to the next station automatically. Four pulls of the lever and you have completed a round. Perfect for moderate production of Handgun ammunition. When equipped with a Pro Auto-Disk or Auto-Drum Powder Measure, you can load 250 rounds an hour. Deactivate the Auto index feature and you can batch reload the longest rifle cartridges. Twist and exchange the turret, snap in a new shell holder and you're ready to load your next caliber.

Progressive presses are for very high production of handgun cartridges. Add a bullet and pull the lever - all other operations are automatic. Select a Progressive Press if you are shooting more than 500 rounds a week. Change over from cartridge to cartridge can be involved. If you are loading limited quantities of many different cartridges, a Turret Press is your best choice.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    OP says "never hunted before" but owns a 7.62 rifle.

OP: 7.62x51 is (pretty much, yes I know there are small differences) .308.

If you want to hunt, you already have the tools you need. And none of the things you mentioned will be significantly different (from a HUNTING perspective) than what you already have, considering the game you're going to hunt (deer)

30-06 offers a little more speed than .308, but not a lot more.

.270 is a little faster, and a little flatter shooting than 30-06/.308 (it is the original 6.8 fury....prove me wrong) but again for hunting distances, it isnt magic

I think you might want to research the distances that are considered a humane kill/ preservation of meat on deer.

Quit being a tinhorn and learn to hunt, then figure out the rifle you need.

The reality is that if you take a deer at 400 yards, that meat is going to be marginal at best while you cover that 400yards to field dress it

Also: "minimum 100rds an hour of hunting ammo". For what? Are you hunting with a belt fed? If you're a good shot, a box of 20 for hunting should last you a few YEARS.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    trickg and anyone else.
    Feel free to comment on why I am wrong or not. Sometimes it can be advantageous to owning a single stage/turret press and/or a Progressive.

I have 0 actual experience with the Dillon 550 except for personally knowing owners of this press.
    I do have a small amount of hours on my Hornady Lock N Load Classic Kit, where I did my first trial runs of reloading .270 ammo.

In respect to my friends' Dillon presses, they primarily load handgun ammo and can do many rounds efficiently with their setups.

Hunting ammo was my main goal in reloading. With the Lock and Load Classic press, I learned how to do this and at a relatively low cost. The price paid was well worth all I learned.

If a few extra bucks for a dedicated rifle reloading setup is not a financial hardship in addition to the initial outlay on a Dillon or Equivalent Progressive for handgun type rounds, then I propose a good idea is to have one of each.

I guess I am saying, especially for the OP, but others too. If you have determined that reloading will work within your budget and time available, ask yourself what type ammo you are going to reload the most. Gear your choice of press toward that. If it is progressive for Pistol ammo, then get your best choice of progressive.
    If you foresee loading mostly pistol and the occasional rifle, get the parts needed for your progressive to do rifle as well.

Or do like I did in reverse, add the press you didn't buy first if you find an advantage to doing so.
    I don't think you're wrong at all - just slightly different perspectives based on our own experiences.

When I first started loading for my ARs, I wanted to be sure of what I was doing, so I broke out my Lee Challenger and did the first couple hundred rounds all single-stage, just so that I could get a feel for what I was doing, mostly because those were the first bottleneck rifle rounds I'd ever loaded. It was only after I got comfortable with it that I decided to move the operation over the Dillon 550.

When it comes to most of my shooting endeavors, I shoot a lot of 9mm, 45 auto, and 223 - for that, I'm always going to appreciate the high volume capability of the Dillon.

For other things?

I really want to spend the money and get an RCBS Rock Chucker because I plan on doing any other rifle loading single stage, and I want a bigger, heavier press than the Lee Challenger. I've read over and over that the Dillon 550 is capable of producing just as precise rifle ammo as a single stage press, but I just like the idea of separating that to a quality single-stage press setup.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    To comment on just this part, although the Lee Challenger setup is a budget setup, I made some wonderful ammo with that single stage press and the accompanying tools that came with the kit. With that in mind, there came a point where I just simply wanted to produce more for my time. There are two ways to do that - turret press, which is better and a bit faster - or progressive.

You say to get a quality single stage press. That can mean a couple of different things, but let's take a quick look at that, starting lower and working our way up: (Prices are from Midway USA - there may be better deals here and there)

$190 - Lee Challenger Press Kit (the Anniversary kit is $20 cheaper, but I believe the next step has some essential tools)

$185 - Hornady Lock-N-Load
    $190 - Lee Classic Cast
    $170 - RCBS Rock Chucker (seems to be on sale - typically $210)
    $185 - RCBS Rebel - some claim this is a better press than the legendary Rock Chucker
    $190 - Redding Boss
    $230 - Frankford Arsenal M-Press Coaxial
    $379 - Forster Co-Ax

$590 - Dillon RL550C

Keep in mind, those prices, with the exception of the Lee kit, are just the bare bones press - there's no case prep tools, no powder measure, no dies, no shell holders....

Having been down the road of starting with a single stage and moving to progressive, I'm always going to be an advocate for starting with a Dillon progressive out of the gate, every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. Yes, it costs more - a lot more. But you GET more. A LOT more. You get all of the precision of any of the lower priced single stage presses, but you also have the capability of producing ammo in greater volumes in much less time. I can comfortably produce 400 rounds an hour on my Dillon. I've said it over and over - I wish I had gotten the Dillon from the jump.

All good points.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't think you're wrong at all - just slightly different perspectives based on our own experiences.

When I first started loading for my ARs, I wanted to be sure of what I was doing, so I broke out my Lee Challenger and did the first couple hundred rounds all single-stage, just so that I could get a feel for what I was doing, mostly because those were the first bottleneck rifle rounds I'd ever loaded. It was only after I got comfortable with it that I decided to move the operation over the Dillon 550.

When it comes to most of my shooting endeavors, I shoot a lot of 9mm, 45 auto, and 223 - for that, I'm always going to appreciate the high volume capability of the Dillon.

For other things?

I really want to spend the money and get an RCBS Rock Chucker because I plan on doing any other rifle loading single stage, and I want a bigger, heavier press than the Lee Challenger. I've read over and over that the Dillon 550 is capable of producing just as precise rifle ammo as a single stage press, but I just like the idea of separating that to a quality single-stage press setup.
    Thanks. trickg. You are thinking along the same train of thought as I said. To me it all boils down to each person's scenario. In the end, it will be each reloading shooter's choice on what route to go when it comes time to buy his setup(s)

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    What I would do.

1) Buy factory ammo, shoot it and keep the brass.

2) Reload it using a Lee collet neck die. You can get a least one reload this way with minimal effort.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

For other things?

There is a conversion for the 550 that puts a shell holder in the center of the ram and a single die in the center of the toolhead. I can tell you that it is PLENTY precise and very strong. A friend does his wildcat case forming this way.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There is a conversion for the 550 that puts a shell holder in the center of the ram and a single die in the center of the toolhead. I can tell you that it is PLENTY precise and very strong. A friend does his wildcat case forming this way
    I've looked at that a couple of times - seems to be a decent solution that doesn't involve buying and maintaining an entire press, but I hadn't heard any firsthand accounts about it for how good it is.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I've looked at that a couple of times - seems to be a decent solution that doesn't involve buying and maintaining an entire press, but I hadn't heard any firsthand accounts about it for how good it is.
    My friend is forming wildcats on it. And if you break it, Dillon replaces it. He wanted it because he figured he'd break stuff swaging down case bodies. Hasn't so.far. he uses it for cast bullet sizing too.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My friend is forming wildcats on it. And if you break it, Dillon replaces it. He wanted it because he figured he'd break stuff swaging down case bodies. Hasn't so.far. he uses it for cast bullet sizing too.
    The Dillon 550 is a pretty robust press - the ram is 1.5" in diameter and the frame is a pretty solid cast aluminum - I don't think it's iron or steel. If it has a "weak" point it would be the slot where the tool head goes, but I shudder to think how much stress it would take to break it - I don't think it would break under normal use unless the casting was flawed from the outset, and even then, Dillon would replace it.

Dillon is interesting that way - even if you're being a dumbass and doing things you shouldn't, and that causes something to break, they'll still replace it for free, no questions asked.

Yeah - I know - should have a Forster Micrometer bullet seater in that tool head. :) That's on the never-ending list.

EC1D665F-5DF1-49ED-A2D3-F88FD6907E4B.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The Dillon 550 is a pretty robust press - the ram is 1.5" in diameter and the frame is a pretty solid cast aluminum - I don't think it's iron or steel. If it has a "weak" point it would be the slot where the tool head goes, but I shudder to think how much stress it would take to break it - I don't think it would break under normal use unless the casting was flawed from the outset, and even then, Dillon would replace it.

Dillon is interesting that way - even if you're being a dumbass and doing things you shouldn't, and that causes something to break, they'll still replace it for free, no questions asked.

View attachment 405967
    Yep. My only real, ongoing, beef with Dillon (and the reason I hate calling for parts or buying things direct from them) is that they use fedex. And it has caused a lot of issues for me. Outside of that, Dillon makes great stuff.

People talk about them using aluminum and it being weaker than steel or iron. I am as yet undecided. The dillons are beefy and I'd be shocked to find an rcbs or lee that survives the cycle counts that guys I know put on their dillons. I've personally worn out or snapped two lee turret presses. I broke a (cast) part on an rcbs. My buddy has had a 650 longer than I've known him (15+yrs) and has been supplying 3006 and 308 for his machine guns on it in addition to other things for a LONG time. He has never broken a frame, ram, link, or handle. He has a newer 750 but it's really only a couple years old and.thus barely broken in with maybe 20k rounds. Perhaps a bit more. Dillons are solid. You break small parts or wear out springs. Buy some spares and it's good.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Thanks guys for all the advice so far really helping me decide and great information. Shown how little I know about reloading rifle rounds…

I’m at work right now so I’ll do a short reply now and a more detailed one later..10-15 of my work hours are optional. I have a baby on the way and plan on taking off 2-3 months paternity leave. So right now I’m working extra to pay up bills and buy all these guns and possibly reloading supplies. I love rifles a lot more then pistols but the price per round for 308^ calibers kept me from buying rifles in Larger calibers(being cheap)… I plan to get .45(1911) 308 ar10, and a couple other rifles now that I can get OT whenever I want. I had a range membership with my family and we plan on getting another one during the summer. I usually bring friends and family they give a little toward the ammo cost but usually I like to supply they shoot alot less then me. It sound like the 9mm may not be worth it for me reloading, I’m more focused on .223/556 at the range, practicing with the hunting calibers, and 308 for the sfar. I have no problem investing in quality equipment I learned my lesson buying cheap when repairing my home. Really when I speak on time I want the best for my time that will make learning and using the eqiupment as smooth as possible and easier.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I’m more focused on .223/556 at the range, practicing with the hunting calibers, and 308 for the sfar. I have no problem investing in quality equipment I learned my lesson buying cheap when repairing my home. Really when I speak on time I want the best for my time that will make learning and using the eqiupment as smooth as possible and easier.
    The problem with 223 is the case prep portion. Not only do you need to trim, you generally need to swage because so much 223 brass has crimped pockets. To do it quickly, you want something like a Dillon 1100 or Mark7 Apex10, which can swage on press. (You could also nominally use a Lee APP, but I've heard varying opinions of its durability.) 308 tends to have less crimped primer pocket brass, but it's still there.

I'm not trying to tell you not to do it, just be advised that rifle is a tougher starting point than pistol, especially with a progressive. Most people will tell you to do a 2-pass process, too.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The problem with 223 is the case prep portion. Not only do you need to trim, you generally need to swage because so much 223 brass has crimped pockets. To do it quickly, you want something like a Dillon 1100 or Mark7 Apex10, which can swage on press. (You could also nominally use a Lee APP, but I've heard varying opinions of its durability.) 308 tends to have less crimped primer pocket brass, but it's still there.

I'm not trying to tell you not to do it, just be advised that rifle is a tougher starting point than pistol, especially with a progressive. Most people will tell you to do a 2-pass process, too.
    Very good posting.

Pistol is where it's at for volume. If you want to do a lot of rifle, you definitely can but there's a bit more process on the front end.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Erwos posts are spot on, I dont have much to add. Reloading hunting rounds for cost savings will never pay off.

Reloading for high volumes or accuracy usually are the main drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom