• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Going from 223/5.56 to .45acp, is what set the hook for me.

I learned a lot online, but went at it alone - and it kicked my ass at times with bottleneck rifle - but something like 45acp, my biggest concern was making sure I didn’t double charge (as the charge doesn’t eat up much case volume in 45acp).
    Especially using a powder like Titegroup - I used 5.0 gr under a plated 200 gr RN, but it's such a dense powder that it doesn't take much case room at all, and you look at the charge and wonder if you have enough there.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Why do you feel you need to crank out 100 hunting rounds an hour?

it is my opinion you have unrealistic expectations. With my reloading, hunting rounds only, I spend a lot of time on load development: Various charge weights, different bullets and bullet weights to maximize accuracy. I’m looking for 1/2 MOA in my rifles but will settle for .75 MOA before I drive myself nuts trying to squeeze the last drop of accuracy out of a load.

Once you find a load that is suitable you can start cranking them out, but I’ve never loaded 100 an hour nor needed 100/ year for hunting purposes.

Regarding your rifle. I’d pick the rifle that I like the most and then choose the caliber. Why not a browning/Tikka in 270? If I were you, I’d just get a 30-06 in my choice of rifle.

I hunt with a browning in 300 WSM, a browning in 30.06, a cooper in 6.5-284, or a Sako in 270. I have others but those are what shoot the best.
    My coworker was just talking about his new found interest in 300 but he’s getting a Remington 700 so he’s going to let me know how he likes it. Because these calibers are new to me from me looking around I wanted a popular semi traditional round and landed on the 30 06. I wanted a quality value rifle so either the tikka or browning in hunter. Depends what’s either in store or good price online when im ready to buy. The guys at my job that hunt use shotguns, cross bows, but been raving about the .270. So I figure to get a solid budget rifle in 270 worse case scenario it’s in the gun safe more then other rifles I have.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Going from 223/5.56 to .45acp, is what set the hook for me.

I learned a lot online, but went at it alone - and it kicked my ass at times with bottleneck rifle - but something like 45acp, my biggest concern was making sure I didn’t double charge (as the charge doesn’t eat up much case volume in 45acp).
    Is this a safety concern issue?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My coworker was just talking about his new found interest in 300 but he’s getting a Remington 700 so he’s going to let me know how he likes it. Because these calibers are new to me from me looking around I wanted a popular semi traditional round and landed on the 30 06. I wanted a quality value rifle so either the tikka or browning in hunter. Depends what’s either in store or good price online when im ready to buy. The guys at my job that hunt use shotguns, cross bows, but been raving about the .270. So I figure to get a solid budget rifle in 270 worse case scenario it’s in the gun safe more then other rifles I have.
    The 3006 does everything a 270 can and more. With factory ammo, the 06 is a little weak but in a high quality bolt gun, you are not as constrained. I drive 208 and 210 grain bullets to 2730avg in my custom 3006 all day long. That's where factories are loading 150s. I normally consider that rifle a solid 600yd deer option but it's been pushed out to a mile at thunder valley on steel and has no trouble at a grand.

My friend loads 165 sierra hpbt gameking in his sako 85 (in 3006) and he takes deer at 300+ regularly. The constraints on the 3006 apply mainly to those who only buy factory ammo. They are better served with a 308 due to broader availability and selection. In factory loads, the 308 can essentially match the 3006. Not so for a handloader. My 308 is running a 155 sierra Palma at 2920avg. My 3006 ups that to just under 3100.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a baby on the way and plan on taking off 2-3 months paternity leave.
    Yea, give up reloading for a couple years....Especially if it your first.
    Stock on factory for now. Once that baby comes, your life will get crazy.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    On rifle’s it’s less likely since the charge is taking up a lot more of the case capacity - but on handguns, it’s more likely to occur, so when in doubt - dump it out, do it over again.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Two bad things you can do as a reloader:

1. Double charge - this can cause catastrophic issues in pistols - we're talking about kabooms.
    2. No charge - essentially a squib, which by itself isn't an issue, but if you push a bullet through a barrel that's had a squib where the bullet never made it out of the barrel, that's also a potential issue.

Most reloaders are not complacent about their process, so those issues don't crop up too often.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    OP says "never hunted before" but owns a 7.62 rifle.

OP: 7.62x51 is (pretty much, yes I know there are small differences) .308.

If you want to hunt, you already have the tools you need. And none of the things you mentioned will be significantly different (from a HUNTING perspective) than what you already have, considering the game you're going to hunt (deer)

30-06 offers a little more speed than .308, but not a lot more.

.270 is a little faster, and a little flatter shooting than 30-06/.308 (it is the original 6.8 fury....prove me wrong) but again for hunting distances, it isnt magic

I think you might want to research the distances that are considered a humane kill/ preservation of meat on deer.

Quit being a tinhorn and learn to hunt, then figure out the rifle you need.

The reality is that if you take a deer at 400 yards, that meat is going to be marginal at best while you cover that 400yards to field dress it

Also: "minimum 100rds an hour of hunting ammo". For what? Are you hunting with a belt fed? If you're a good shot, a box of 20 for hunting should last you a few YEARS.
    I can’t wait to go outside I think I have a firm idea of the hunting rifle and gear I’m going to get. The idea of hunting opened my mind up to different calibers and all the fun window shopping I’ve been doing during the pandemic

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    The 3006 does everything a 270 can and more. With factory ammo, the 06 is a little weak but in a high quality bolt gun, you are not as constrained. I drive 208 and 210 grain bullets to 2730avg in my custom 3006 all day long. That's where factories are loading 150s. I normally consider that rifle a solid 600yd deer option but it's been pushed out to a mile at thunder valley on steel and has no trouble at a grand.

My friend loads 165 sierra hpbt gameking in his sako 85 (in 3006) and he takes deer at 300+ regularly. The constraints on the 3006 apply mainly to those who only buy factory ammo. They are better served with a 308 due to broader availability and selection. In factory loads, the 308 can essentially match the 3006. Not so for a handloader. My 308 is running a 155 sierra Palma at 2920avg. My 3006 ups that to just under 3100.
    That’s great to hear, now y’all have me going down the set up rabbit hole for rifle rounds. I’m going to get the Dillion 550 I’m not sure on the model. Now I’m trying to decide between the turret and single stage, I’m rereading through this thread but if it’s possible to operate the dillion as a single stage I may focus on a couple other add ons

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I can’t wait to go outside I think I have a firm idea of the hunting rifle and gear I’m going to get. The idea of hunting opened my mind up to different calibers and all the fun window shopping I’ve been doing during the pandemic
    It's interesting to go down that rabbit hole of what is the "best" caliber for whatever - deer is the most obvious choice and there are SO many options. Some states even allow 223.

There is a school of thought that thinks that the 243 is the quintessential deer rifle - fast, flat, and hits hard because of the velocity.

Then there's the 308 - big enough for just about anything, but some prefer the added velocity of the 30-06, and some really want the added velocity of the 300 Win Mag.

Then come the "wildcats" - 25-06, 280 Remington/7mm-06, 270 Winchester, 35 Whelen, etc. Of course the 243 is wildcatted from the 308 Winchester.

Then there's the "all I need is my 30-30," camp, along with the old timers who want to stick to older cartridges such as the 7mm or 8mm Mauser, the quintessential 30-06, the 6.5 Swede...

And of course we have the 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor, which seem to be cartridges getting a lot of press.

The best solution? Get one of each!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That’s great to hear, now y’all have me going down the set up rabbit hole for rifle rounds. I’m going to get the Dillion 550 I’m not sure on the model. Now I’m trying to decide between the turret and single stage, I’m rereading through this thread but if it’s possible to operate the dillion as a single stage I may focus on a couple other add ons
    Get yourself a Dillon 550. Then buy this linked above if you want a center mount single stage plate.

Killing deer can be done with just about any rifle round. It's more about what bullet you use and the velocity you deliver it to tissue at. Simply for bullet variety, the 308 and 3006 are hard to beat as general american hunting rounds.

I have no issue with a 22-250AI, a 6br, or even a 223, depending on circumstances and likely distance. Load an appropriate projectile and deliver it to the right place. I didn't get a deer the two days I went out last year but I had a suppressed 308 both days. Loaded with 155s. One doe in optic, but she never came out of the brush. That rifle has killed groundhogs well over 500 and deer at almost 600. Longest so far for deer was 825yd with my 3006. Volley fire on two whitetails with my partner. He was running the 280AI I spun up for him. I normally wouldn't have taken the shot but we had been whacking groundhogs that morning and data was on point. Conditions were very favorable and the deer were over a hundred yards from any cover.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok I’m going to go through y’all replies and read some post about different options. What’s have me hung up right now is the rifle reloads, specifically 223/556. I’m going to do a lot more long range practice shooting around and overall shooting with that platform then the 308 follows. On a scale 1-10 how much more of hassle is it to reload those calibers then handgun rounds
    MDRifles,

I am a relative novice at reloading, but I have done it a time or 2. I also have done a bunch of reading and studying the ins and outs of the processes. I will add that there are plenty of members here who can help you through the processes of your rifle rounds you mentioned.

All depending on where you live, it is even possible one or more may offer to help you shop for your equipment, supplies, get you set up and maybe even walk you through the process.

I spent the past 2 days chatting with 4g64loser who really knows his stuff. Just from some of the terminology he uses, some memory jogging reading on my part, and some good youtube videos, I dusted off some cobwebs, learned some new stuff about LONG DISTANCE shooting and reloading for max results for that type shooting.

4g64 may not have known he was going to, but as I told him, his few answers to my questions and the questions of other reloaders like Dbldoc when asking about sticky case lube, helped clear up a ton of muddy things for me. I really learned a lot just from talking and adding the info to the general understanding I already have.

The reloading presses will have instructions, the books too. Youtube and our members can help fill in the blanks.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Get yourself a Dillon 550. Then buy this linked above if you want a center mount single stage plate.

Killing deer can be done with just about any rifle round. It's more about what bullet you use and the velocity you deliver it to tissue at. Simply for bullet variety, the 308 and 3006 are hard to beat as general american hunting rounds.

I have no issue with a 22-250AI, a 6br, or even a 223, depending on circumstances and likely distance. Load an appropriate projectile and deliver it to the right place. I didn't get a deer the two days I went out last year but I had a suppressed 308 both days. Loaded with 155s. One doe in optic, but she never came out of the brush. That rifle has killed groundhogs well over 500 and deer at almost 600. Longest so far for deer was 825yd with my 3006. Volley fire on two whitetails with my partner. He was running the 280AI I spun up for him. I normally wouldn't have taken the shot but we had been whacking groundhogs that morning and data was on point. Conditions were very favorable and the deer were over a hundred yards from any cover.
    Then there’s the xl rc and other offsets of the Dillon 550. 800 yards yea I was deciding between the 308 too but I wanted the sfar so I’m going to wait on getting more hunting rifles till I get informed more on different hunting rifles. I know some are talking about hunting with ar10s, right now I just want to start with the basics. I was just asking my coworker about hunting with suppressors didn’t think it was the norm.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    the quintessential 30-06… that’s why I chose 30 06 it started getting real deep, almost to the point the rifle play it’s part but it was soooo much about the actual bullet. And now this landed me into reloading especially since I realized I haven’t done a lot of long distance shooting even with my ARs and that’s something I always been interested in

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Then there’s the xl rc and other offsets of the Dillon 550. 800 yards yea I was deciding between the 308 too but I wanted the sfar so I’m going to wait on getting more hunting rifles till I get informed more on different hunting rifles. I know some are talking about hunting with ar10s, right now I just want to start with the basics. I was just asking my coworker about hunting with suppressors didn’t think it was the norm.
    I own gasguns but I'm a boltgun snob given any opportunity. I don't shoot a large frame AR (308, etc) currently after a really disappointing experience with an sr25. I find boltguns easier to tune when loading.

As for suppressed hunting, a good friend of mine was a guide and lifelong hunter but never used a can til he shot with me. He now will not hunt without one. It's a gamechanger to me.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    THIS is a NICE experience. ALL the NEWNESS of it.

I still remember being about 30 when I finally got my first house. I moved to my country home and got busy with the essentials. Chainsawing, Lawn Tractor and Weedwacker buying, and Rifle purchases. My first hunting rifle came from Duffy's in Butler. It was a Marlin Lever action 44 magnum. Many a deer has been taken with the humble Lever action 30 30. One does not need a 300 win mag, 30 06, 7mm mag etc to take deer in Md. In some cases, these make fine choices, but if a hunter chooses one of these, he will get a great deer gun that is versatile enough to take Deer, moose, elk, and a host of other game. .260's .270's .308's all make for fine choices too. As I came to meet other hunters who lived near me, one particular friend took deer for decades using his .243. In all I learned about hunting, I could ascertain that the secret to his success was the importance of shot placement over the size or power of the caliber choice.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I own gasguns but I'm a boltgun snob given any opportunity. I don't shoot a large frame AR (308, etc) currently after a really disappointing experience with an sr25. I find boltguns easier to tune when loading.

As for suppressed hunting, a good friend of mine was a guide and lifelong hunter but never used a can til he shot with me. He now will not hunt without one. It's a gamechanger to me.
    HAHA, OH BOY, I think my main hunting rifle is 180 degrees the opposite of a rifle with a can.

My Model 70 Classic Stainless 30 06 has a BOSS on the end of the barrel.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    HAHA, OH BOY, I think my main hunting rifle is 180 degrees the opposite of a rifle with a can.

My Model 70 30 06 has a BOSS on the end of the barrel.
    If you are overwatching a large, clear, area and won't depend on sound to indicate target presence, there's no downside to a braked rifle. I have them and use them at the range because the can is a big heat sink. Especially in the summer. Just wear earplugs.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you are overwatching a large, clear, area and won't depend on sound to indicate target presence, there's no downside to a braked rifle. I have them and use them at the range because the can is a big heat sink. Especially in the summer. Just wear earplugs.
    Yup, to ear plugs.

The funny thing is 2 of my handguns are also C models with ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom