Laws on Shooting an attacking dog in Montgomery County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Some Dog Whisperer wannabe like you owning Pit Bulls, I'd probably have no problems with. Unless you're lying about all of that Pit Bull whispering skills. But the average dummy, dog owner of America, rarely have the capabilities to vigilantly care and train a Pit Bull well enough for it to be safe for other people living around them and especially their pets. I wouldn't care if your own Pit Bull kills your children, but it's my family that I'm worried about, which is why I made this post.

Here's husband and wife, Pit Bull Whisperer family:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/darla-napora/

Huffington Post? Next I'll see CNN and mom's demand action against pit bulls. Lol

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Don't go down that rabbit hole, search for previous threads in it.

For what it's worth, my buddy's Chihuahua has bitten more people than my Pitts.

I own a Chihuahua who is AMAZING and loves everyone

but

I'll second the above comment. The only dog I've ever been bitten by NOT AT WORK was a damn Chihuahua and he was a mean bastard.

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Some pits are canine aggressive, and will attack another dog not in its pack with little provocation. Not all of them are like this.

All pits are tough, and have the Churchillian trait; they never, never, never give up. This is what makes them such excellent fighters. For the most part, any tendency to be human aggressive has been bred out of them, for obvious reasons.

My grandkids were brought up with these dogs, with no problems. The dogs are very protective of "their" children.

Irresponsible humans are the pits' greatest enemies. That would include the mainstream media, in their love of sensationalism. The dogs have been given a bad name, sort of like gun owners. Some of us can relate to that.

I don't doubt that tons of people have had Pits all of their lives and around everyone and their neighbors' cousins, w/o a single incident. Just that when there is an incident, some little kid is ripped to pieces or is dead.

The average dog owner of America is not a Pro dog trainer. Most of them spend more time watching TV and playing videogames vs. spending time training their dogs. This can fly for a wimpy Chi Hua Hua, but not a Pit Bull. Just like these people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DemxKPgCI_Q

Grandma here, doesn't look like no gangbanger in the 'hood who's side hobby is Dog Fighting. She probably just raised it like any other dog, and now her face looks like Frankenstein's because their Pit Bull was "very protective of "their" children".

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Urban/suburban discharge of a firearm is serious chit. You better have a dead, shot dog still latched onto you when the police arrive.

Yea, I think you're right. I'm going to invest on some motion activated cameras first. I'm just mostly worried about my elderly mother.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Only dog I ever HAD to shoot at was a pit. It was in Monkey County, albeit in the boonies. The fvcker was ready to launch on my ass. He was protecting his master's turf, however, we were 30 yards off his property. Eventually he got within 10 yds of me when the only thing between us was a big rotten log. I put a round (.44 mag.) through the log and sprayed him with pulp. Thankfully he ran back 20 or so yards and I went the other way. Second shot was going center mass. Was not needed.

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Don't go down that rabbit hole, search for previous threads in it.

For what it's worth, my buddy's Chihuahua has bitten more people than my Pitts.

Yea but if a Chihuahua bites, it's going to be scoring that "extra point" to make it 7. So did your buddy's Chihuahua jumped the fence to maul people, requiring plastic surgery?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Time to pick on bike riders, attorneys, cops or Prius owners... Change the tune.

Why beat a dead horse? ...'cause you can is a BS answer.

I've had my share of dogs in my life. I work/volunteer for a shelter now. Ive done a fair amount of reading and research. My first pits were in the late seventies. My experience tells me that folks who generalize on any breed are low information, high emotional drive, somewhat insecure folks.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. They may have varied experiences. You may have varied experiences. If you haven't owned one, chances are you're talking out of the South end not the North end.

Ain't nobody an expert. Ain't any dog a sure thing. You push their buttons, they'll react. They do smell fear. They do feel confidence and calm They respond well to loyalty and consistency.

Like em, don't like em. Respect em, don't respect em. Your call. Going on publicly about something you're not actually well versed in is ill advised. It says an awful lot about who you are.

Talking on a public forum about thinking about shooting a dog is not too smart IMO.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Notice how you can't make an argument based on a real news story so you just attack the source as a desperate last resort.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/pet-pit-bull-kills-pregnant-woman-pacifica-california/story?id=14289961

What proof do you want? Do you ever see stories on the news about a dog licking a kid? Get off of it. You have an irrational fear and want to justify your potential actions based on it. Have at it. I don't care what you do. Just be a real and don't look for validation on an Internet forum.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'm a dog lover and don't hide that.

OP, I guess my question is why even post this? If a dog attacks your kids/mom/lover/whomever, do you care what they laws are? I wouldn't. If a large dog was attacking me or my family on my property, I'd intervene and deal with the consequences later. I mean, you're not going to let your Mother die because of some weasel politician in MoCo, are you? Didn't think so.

If that's the case, then stop premeditating and trying to justify some sort of preemptive action. The dog is doing what dogs do (bark and growl at strangers that are contemplating killing them), AND it's behind a fence on the dog's property. Just maintain situational awareness and carry on. Don't let irrational fears get the best of you.

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    That little POS dog would eat your throat out if you let it. Let's get back to the OPs question.

OP being in MD I wouldn't fire a weapon at a dog outside, but nothing stopping a good stabbing or machete if it came to it.

That's the point, you'd have to lie down and spread liver pate' all over your throat and then taunt the hell out of it and not do anything to stop it...while most people, when attacked by a vicious Chihauhau, will just kick it for the field goal. You can't do that with a Pit Bull, at least not that easily.

But I will take your good advice of not firing a gun outside in a residential neighborhood though.

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Time to pick on bike riders, attorneys, cops or Prius owners... Change the tune.

Why beat a dead horse? ...'cause you can is a BS answer.

I've had my share of dogs in my life. I work/volunteer for a shelter now. Ive done a fair amount of reading and research. My first pits were in the late seventies. My experience tells me that folks who generalize on any breed are low information, high emotional drive, somewhat insecure folks.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. They may have varied experiences. You may have varied experiences. If you haven't owned one, chances are you're talking out of the South end not the North end.

Ain't nobody an expert. Ain't any dog a sure thing. You push their buttons, they'll react. They do smell fear. They do feel confidence and calm They respond well to loyalty and consistency.

Like em, don't like em. Respect em, don't respect em. Your call. Going on publicly about something you're not actually well versed in is ill advised. It says an awful lot about who you are.

Talking on a public forum about thinking about shooting a dog is not too smart IMO.

BS. My grandfather was a rich old man who used to own over 20 dogs at one time and a bunch of exotic animals that he'd bring home from safari. He even hired lived in servants just to tend to his pets. I've been around plenty of dogs.

I've been bitten by a couple of his dogs because I F'ed with them when I was a kid. Thankfully, none were Pit Bulls. Even the German Shepherd only left some teeth marks that didn't even scar. A friend's full grown German Shep also bit me when I was young, but let go right away when their master, my 10 year old friend, pulled their GS off. Think it would be the same with a Pit Bull?

I'm a grown adult now. How the hell am I not respecting these Pit Bulls? I'm just minding my own business in my own yard. What do you want me to do, help my neighbors train their stupid dogs? It's like someone next door bringing a Bobcat home as a pet that has never bit anyone, yet.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    I don't doubt that tons of people have had Pits all of their lives and around everyone and their neighbors' cousins, w/o a single incident. Just that when there is an incident, some little kid is ripped to pieces or is dead.

The average dog owner of America is not a Pro dog trainer. Most of them spend more time watching TV and playing videogames vs. spending time training their dogs. This can fly for a wimpy Chi Hua Hua, but not a Pit Bull. Just like these people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DemxKPgCI_Q

Grandma here, doesn't look like no gangbanger in the 'hood who's side hobby is Dog Fighting. She probably just raised it like any other dog, and now her face looks like Frankenstein's because their Pit Bull was "very protective of "their" children".

This was a bad result that was only possible because there was a dog in the area. The same argument is made 1000 times a day about injuries involving guns.

If you are having a problem with the dog next door, you need to talk to the neighbors. If that doesn't work, you need to call the local PD, or Animal Control, or whatever. Address the problem before it becomes a problem.

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    I'm a dog lover and don't hide that.

OP, I guess my question is why even post this? If a dog attacks your kids/mom/lover/whomever, do you care what they laws are? I wouldn't. If a large dog was attacking me or my family on my property, I'd intervene and deal with the consequences later. I mean, you're not going to let your Mother die because of some weasel politician in MoCo, are you? Didn't think so.

If that's the case, then stop premeditating and trying to justify some sort of preemptive action. The dog is doing what dogs do (bark and growl at strangers that are contemplating killing them), AND it's behind a fence on the dog's property. Just maintain situational awareness and carry on. Don't let irrational fears get the best of you.

Well my question was, if it jumps the fence and charges me, can I shoot it or would I need to get a big steak of meat ripped off of my arm first before I can fire.

No doubt, if it's got my elderly mother by the ass, I'd definitely would be shooting or cutting it up with my blades.

Here, the Pits are constantly charging at me on the other side of the chain linked fence and biting on the metal links like it wants to bite through to get me. This is what makes me worried that it may jump the fence one day and attack, especially when my mother's little wimpy dog runs around the yard a lot to do his business. I don't think this is irrational.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom