• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    In case you havn't been following the lever gun thread, we're planning a shoot on Dec 14 at either Cresap or Hap Baker. All lever guns are welcome and if you don't have one but want to try, bring some ammo and contact somebody that does have one. I have Marlins in .44mag, .30-30 and .22, responsible shooters are welcome to try any of them.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    I should be able to make the shoot and will bring the 2 lever action rifles that I own. A rather standard Marlin 336 in 30-30, and a Henry .17HMR Varmint Express. All are welcome to try either.

I would especially like the chance try a lever in pistol calibers.

phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    I will come out if its at Cresap, and a maybe for Hap not liking the sound of that road my car is still from the future for a month and a half. I would bring my 336 30-30 and 1895gs 45-70.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I plan on attending. I will definately have the Winchester 9422 .22mag camo retro tactical carbine. And hopefully I'll have my Winchester 94 .30-30 back together by then.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Bump for a Friday, bring your levers, your huge revolvers, make a really loud noise and a fireball and no chili required!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Everyone so far has been saying Cresap. That and Hap are both long rides for me, so unless there's a sudden groundswell for Hap or Elk Neck, looks like we'll be in Fredrick.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    That's Great!

If anyone is interested Brewer's Alley, or Barley and Hoppes are both good local brew pubs, with good food for after the shoot.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Never been to Cresap, but I had been to Hap Baker. Both are roughly the same distance for me.

I have a 1991 Winchester 94 30-30 and a newer Henry Golden Boy in .22long/short/Long Rifle.

I would love to try someone elses 30-30 or someone try mine. See if I am just nuts and not shooting it right, or if this thing bruises someone else fairly quickly :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    See if I am just nuts and not shooting it right, or if this thing bruises someone else fairly quickly :D

Interesting question, I don't have enough rounds through my .30-30 to have been bruised. See if maybe the Marlin has a better recoil pad than your Winchester. :shrug:

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Interesting question, I don't have enough rounds through my .30-30 to have been bruised. See if maybe the Marlin has a better recoil pad than your Winchester. :shrug:

The Marlin is a little heavier then the model 94, that might make a small difference. Also the shape of the stock may have an impact to felt recoil.

I will have a Marlin 336 that we can use for comparison as well.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006

I didn't want to dilute the thread with personal questions, should have gone into more detail. It was a buddy of mines rifle, got it new in 1991 and had never fired it. Just kept it oiled in his closet. It is a ranger model, shorter barrel, side eject, with a small and hard pad on the end. In fact, at first glance I didn't even think it had one :) I can usually get 15-20 rounds of WWB though it before I put it down, or 5-6 hunting loads. After that I get a nasty bruise. Action is pretty stiff, even when oiled, from sitting in a closet and never really been used. I have put probably 100 rounds through it and it has loosened up some, but not a great deal. I think it may have a small crack somewhere in the stock, but I don't know how to take the stock off to look. Never had a problem with my 7.62x39s, although they are light shooters. Everything else I was either too young to remember, or only shot 1-2 rounds through.

The Marlin is a little heavier then the model 94, that might make a small difference. Also the shape of the stock may have an impact to felt recoil.

I will have a Marlin 336 that we can use for comparison as well.

Sounds good :thumbsup::party29:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Jason, I'm not sure either wha the cause could be. The lighter weight of the shorter gun could be exacerbating the problem, but if you bring it along we'll all be happy to try.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Woo-HOO! Got my Super Blackhawk back on Friday, 3lbs of handgunning goodness. I'll be bringing it along of course. Bump for a Sunday night, start of the holiday week.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Looks like Cresap near Fredrick is the overwhelming favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom