Looking for entry level "long range" rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Another nod for Tikka. Thoroughly impressed with initial testing of my T3x Super Varmint. .223 is indeed a fun bolt gun chambering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The funnest. Although I may rebarrel mine is .223AI next just for kicks.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Using 'dark mode' which is broken on MDS so I'll do the best I can quoting...

10mph wind, 100yd data.
    Varmit 40gr FB (0.151(G1)) @ 4350fps, = 1.58" windage
    Target 75gr VLD (0.421(G1)) @ 3100fps = 0.72" windage
    Those are the two closest bullets I could find in their list to the weights you spec'ed.
    Through a little trial and error with the calculator, you have to slow down the VLD to 1800fps to get almost identical 1.56" windage. That is ratio of speed is similar to the ratio of the BCs. 2.4 vs 2.1.
    Much as I love berger bullets, a lot of their varmint bullets really do suck compared to their competition. Their higher BC match bullets are good. Apologies for the delay, work is the curse of those who have no trust funds. I'll run this with the bullets I mentioned as I have actually used them in the chambering in question (different barrels due to twist required). The Nosler 40btip has been over 4400 in more than one.barrel but I'll use 4350 because it is achievable in all the 14 twist barrels I've had. The Nosler 77CC was normally a 3050-3100 but I'll use 3200 for the benefit of the doubt (they shot that speed but accuracy wasn't there). I'll use the atmospheric conditions from the other weekend when I had my .260 hunting rifle out. 74deg and 28.69inHg. E is elevation, w-10 is a full value 10mph wind from 9 o'clock, L-5 is a 5mph mover, T is time of flight. All values are in mils except T which is expressed in seconds.
    IMG_20230623_172623461.jpg

The faster load runs tighter on movers (think critters I'm killing) out to the effective range of the load (500yds give or take) and the wind values are essentially the same to 500. The drop is significantly less. I've shot these bullets live and I've always preferred the 40 btip in the 22-250ai. Add in more than DOUBLE the barrel life in the 14 twist barrels over the 8s. Add in easier cleaning, with more shots fired between cleanings, and it's a no brained to me.

On to the 308 vs medium 264 case (260 rem or 6.5 creedmoor). I will not argue that the 264 bores are the long range easy button. I shoot a pair of 260s (a short 20" and a longer 25"). I love em. Here's my 24" 308 (155 sierra Palma at 2929avg), my longer 260 (Nosler 140rdf at 2800avg), and my short 260 (sierra 130tgk at 2686avg). Velocities based on most recent chronographed velocity. Can provide photos of the chrono data for all but the short 260.
    IMG_20230623_181619687.jpg

As you can see, the short 260 suffers a pretty severe handicap in performance. It is currently shooting 130tgk for critters up to and including deer and could be improved a bit by hotrodding 130hybrids but it shot sub half inch groups with a sub ten ES during development using a mild load under the 130tgk. Other, hotter, loads had acceptable (sub half) groups but ESs couldn't get under 20.

My 308 is using 45.6 varget under the 2156 sierra Palma bullet. Nothing magic and actually a good bit under most published max charges (lapua brass has a bit less internal volume than most). It remains a contender in every way BUT wind (where it matches the stubby 260) and the ability to remain supersonic in the post-1000yd area.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Narrowed it down to:

Savage 110 Tactical or 110 Magpul Hunter

Ruger Precision for the right price

Bergara B14 HMR

Tikka T3x CTR

Leaning heavily towards the Bergara. Was about to post a WTB for one in classifieds but I figured I'd make a thread first.

Mostly just looking to find something to shoot a few hundred yards and punch paper for fun. It's not a type of shooting I've done before so I'm interested in trying something different.
    Hello Doggy,
    I have a Savage 110 package gun that's been shooting bughole groups with Winchester silver box for like 30 years.
    I think the fact of the matter is, as well as many published experts will quantify, is that any quality bolt gun manufactured with modern methods and techniques will get it done without a lot of fuss.
    If it doesn't, send it back or have them fix it.
    Or, get it straight yourself and have some fun while doing it.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Narrowed it down to:

Savage 110 Tactical or 110 Magpul Hunter

Ruger Precision for the right price

Bergara B14 HMR

Tikka T3x CTR

Leaning heavily towards the Bergara. Was about to post a WTB for one in classifieds but I figured I'd make a thread first.

Mostly just looking to find something to shoot a few hundred yards and punch paper for fun. It's not a type of shooting I've done before so I'm interested in trying something different.
    I'll ask you the same question I ask everybody. I'm not going to read three pages of thread to find out your budget is crap.

What is your budget? All in, rifle, optic, bag, tripod, all in. For real. How much money do you have on hand to throw at this hobby, cause it's cheaper to buy once-cry once than it is to build up into it through several rifles.

Give us your total budget and the realistic range you want to reach, and let the pros here tell you what to buy.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    In short, nope.

I can get into the details when I have more time but BC is not the only concern. Speed flat out works. A fast, low bc, bullet will bleed velocity faster than a higher bc bullet but where these "cross" depends a great deal on the case driving the projectiles. I'll pull some numbers in a standard value crosswind on a barrel I shoot multiple projectiles through. Can't currently as I'm away from my gear. If you need to understand it now, punch a 40BTip at 4350 into the berger calculator online and then do the same for a 77smk or Nosler cc at 3100. Check drift at TOF at different distances.

If you want to talk about things being equal, you need to stick to a single case. If you want to compare different cases, things aren't even close to equal. A 223 is not going to compare to a 308 or 6.5 creed as it's in a totally different capacity class.

A 308, using loads well inside the limits in MULTIPLE manuals, is driving a 155 berger hybrid or sierra Palma to 2900 (2929avg last time I chronographed my 24" barrel. I can pull my numbers later but I regularly beat guys shooting creeds at the 500yd line playing HORSE.

My 260s will flat out rock a mil or more less drop with around 30 percent less drift at a grand than my 308 but my 3006 shoots inside both.
    Depends on the game though right? BC certainly matters. I've seen lots of guys shooting F TR run 220gr (slow 308). At the 1k yard line most using 190gr 308s. If speed was the only factor, why wouldn't they use 155gr Palma bullets?

All of those guys use Palma brass though (308 small primer) so they can run them hotter without loosing primer pockets as fast.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Depends on the game though right? BC certainly matters. I've seen lots of guys shooting F TR run 220gr (slow 308). At the 1k yard line most using 190gr 308s. If speed was the only factor, why wouldn't they use 155gr Palma bullets?

All of those guys use Palma brass though (308 small primer) so they can run them hotter without loosing primer pockets as fast.
    In a game where the targets are at a known, constant, fixed, long, distance go with the highest bc you can stick in the case and throat the chamber to allow you the most powder volume behind that bullet. The 233 I did up for a buddy has a very long throat (77s are almost 2.5") so he can have the most usable case volume. Gun was built to shoot 70-77gr pills in PRS Tactical. Really focused on the 77RDF and 77CC Noslers. And it's rocking.

Now, if your club is using reduced targets at 600 (bridgeville before the expansion, warrior mountain, etc) and you want to shoot FTR, I'd probably use my 155s. It's a flip at that range. At a grand, I am loading 185s or 210s for paper. I don't have to worry about the area between me and.the target because all shots will be fired at that same long range. Vertical control is in the hands of the shooter/handloader. Just can't predict the wind.

OP doesn't sound like he's going to be shooting F class. And really heavy bullets in a SAAMI compliant reamer print that will run in a repeater are going to REALLY suck up powder volume.

I have no problem with heavy for caliber high bc bullets for a rig that's dedicated to shooting at long ranges but OP is probably going to buy ONE rifle and use it for a lot of different distances,maybe hunt with it. And let's be truthful, even those of us who do regularly shoot 500+yds do a lot of our practice at 100-500 simply due to facility availability. That means a "practice load" with cheaper (usually lighter) bullets, often at lower pressure, or it means a trainer rifle.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I went with the Savage 110 Tactical. I got a Vortex 5-25x. Still looking for rings or some other stuff to buy with the order.

6.5 Creedmoor

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My 308 is using 45.6 varget under the 2156 sierra Palma bullet. Nothing magic and actually a good bit under most published max charges (lapua brass has a bit less internal volume than most). It remains a contender in every way BUT wind (where it matches the stubby 260) and the ability to remain supersonic in the post-1000yd area.
    .308 Lapua SRP, 46.7gr Varget and 155gr Berger Hybrids. Pretty darn close to your recipe. This is what guys are shooting now.
    I'm a newbie and was pretty much where the OP is just 6mos ago.

For the OP. The Tikka and the Bergara are both great choices. I might add the Savage 12 to your list.

As I said, 6 months ago I had a list very much like yours. I ended up with a CZ 557 MTR because I was blown away by it. They aren't made any more and I got lucky.

Good luck with your choice. The rabbit hole is big and wide

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    .308 Lapua SRP, 46.7gr Varget and 155gr Berger Hybrids. Pretty darn close to your recipe. This is what guys are shooting now.
    I'm a newbie and was pretty much where the OP is just 6mos ago.
    I tried the SRP Palma brass but had tighter ES and more consistent average with my LRP cases. I have a great node at 46.6 varget but in hot weather bolt.gets sticky after a few rounds so I went with 45.6. I won't say what went in the Palma gun some time ago. I will say that it needed a LONG drop tube and I still had to finish seat the bullets the day of the match. And it wasn't varget.

I own 260s and love them but the 308 is still kicking. I love shooting it because I can run longer between cleanings without performance changes and because tuning a load for it has been way in every barrel I've had. Not 6br easy but close!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I tried the SRP Palma brass but had tighter ES and more consistent average with my LRP cases. I have a great node at 46.6 varget but in hot weather bolt.gets sticky after a few rounds so I went with 45.6. I won't say what went in the Palma gun some time ago. I will say that it needed a LONG drop tube and I still had to finish seat the bullets the day of the match. And it wasn't varget.

I own 260s and love them but the 308 is still kicking. I love shooting it because I can run longer between cleanings without performance changes and because tuning a load for it has been way in every barrel I've had. Not 6br easy but close!
    I'm going to have to pay attention to the bolt this summer. I think .308s are fun because of all the components available. Endless supplies of factory rounds and load data.
    I'm still primarily a .22lr shooter but I've had a ton of fun with this rifle

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm going to have to pay attention to the bolt this summer. I think .308s are fun because of all the components available. Endless supplies of factory rounds and load data.
    I'm still primarily a .22lr shooter but I've had a ton of fun with this rifle
    It's a round that can do a lot of jobs well. Great dies available off the shelf, the largest selection of bullets in any caliber (see any reloading vendor and count SKUs by caliber), and not very picky about powder. Unless you need max performance, it's amazing how fast you can find a decent load with most midrange and even some faster burning powders.

If I build a "light" rifle, it's going to be a 308 set up for 125-165gr bullets. 125s for groundhogs or places where overpenetration is a no-no. 155 VLDH or 165hpbt gamekings for deer.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I run a Tikka T3x Taca1 and I love it in 6.5cm cant go wrong runs sub now groups added a 20moa rail and an Athlon 5-25 Midas Tac scope and it shoots out to 1250
    When ya coming down again? Being a certified sako product snob, I like seeing you (and everyone else shooting tikkas) slamming steel.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    OP if you're looking to just shoot a few hundred yards I would say you can get by with much less than any of the rifles you've listed. A decent bolt action rifle will get you out to 200-300 yards without an issue. If you want to shoot out beyond 500 to 1000+ yards then any of the ones you've listed should do just fine.
    I run an RPR in .308 and have taken it out to 1,200 yards. I've thought about switching to 6.5 CM but I don't get out to shoot long range enough so I'll probably just leave it alone. It shoots very well with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo out of the box.
    Nice setup. What are the general specs of the scope you are using?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A good friend has a Ruger precision in 6.5 creedmoor. I went with him to the range at Delmarva a few weeks ago and we were breaking Clay's and eggs at 500 yd. And that rifle is capable of a whole lot more.
    500 yards is nothing for a Creedmoor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom