Looking for entry level "long range" rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ha! I’d be up for that. Lemme know!
    Will do.
    Is this shaping up for a mini-meet?

Or a mini-meat? Have conex, will travel.
    It might be. And it will happen in in a connex, so you don't need to bring your own. But if you want to volunteer a couple of vehicles that's cool. Small possibly of damage, just saying.

IMG_20230423_214036.jpg

I'm Monday.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I don't understand why I'm the only one to recommend a Remington 700 as an entry-level 500 yard rifle. For "entry-level" and cost-effective, the M24 platform is not a disappointment.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I don't understand why I'm the only one to recommend a Remington 700 as an entry-level 500 yard rifle. For "entry-level" and cost-effective, the M24 platform is not a disappointment.
    Don't take this personally but I've owned nine 700 platforms. All some level of customized. Most fully worked over actions. I still own one and it will eventually go away like the others. I think it's a garbage platform. By the time you are done straightening out everything remington did wrong you can easily buy a custom action in the lower ranges (stiller tac30 comes to mind readily but there are others that are just 700s build straight) with no waiting or shipping to smiths.

I've built my own and had others build them. The 700 is only good.due to aftermarket support and many custom actions share stock inlet and trigger compatibility with the 700 aftermarket parts. I won't even mess with a 700 made after 1975 or so for good friends. They are just too rough. Found crooked chambers, burred barrels, out of spec parts, etc. If I had every dollar I wasted on those rigs back right now, I'd have a LOT of sweet custom actions in the locker instead of just a few.

Again, this is not directed at you personally but I have a lot of frustration screwing around with that platform. At the time, there wasn't as much in custom actions readily available. If someone wants a 700 just because they want one I will refer them to two very good smiths who will do them right. When the rig comes back, there won't be much remington left in it. In factory rigs, I won't even buy a rifle off the rack that sako didn't make. No, I'm not rich. I am a working guy. But I'd rather eat ramen than shoot a rifle that frustrates me.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Don't take this personally but I've owned nine 700 platforms. All some level of customized. Most fully worked over actions. I still own one and it will eventually go away like the others. I think it's a garbage platform. By the time you are done straightening out everything remington did wrong you can easily buy a custom action in the lower ranges (stiller tac30 comes to mind readily but there are others that are just 700s build straight) with no waiting or shipping to smiths.

I've built my own and had others build them. The 700 is only good.due to aftermarket support and many custom actions share stock inlet and trigger compatibility with the 700 aftermarket parts. I won't even mess with a 700 made after 1975 or so for good friends. They are just too rough. Found crooked chambers, burred barrels, out of spec parts, etc. If I had every dollar I wasted on those rigs back right now, I'd have a LOT of sweet custom actions in the locker instead of just a few.

Again, this is not directed at you personally but I have a lot of frustration screwing around with that platform. At the time, there wasn't as much in custom actions readily available. If someone wants a 700 just because they want one I will refer them to two very good smiths who will do them right. When the rig comes back, there won't be much remington left in it. In factory rigs, I won't even buy a rifle off the rack that sako didn't make. No, I'm not rich. I am a working guy. But I'd rather eat ramen than shoot a rifle that frustrates me.

No offense taken. I must have gotten lucky with my AAC-SD. I’ll keep what you said in mind if I ever buy another rifle.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    No offense taken. I must have gotten lucky with my AAC-SD. I’ll keep what you said in mind if I ever buy another rifle.
    Some of them will shoot. A smith I'm friendly with up in PA loves 700s. He builds incredible shooters with them.

DocEd, here on the boards, shot his way to Benchrest wins with Remingtons that he worked over himself (he's an excellent gunsmith as well). His handmade bullets sure don't hurt though! He might grouse a bit about my sako/tikka fetish but he sure does good work on them when they need barrels.

I've seen stock 700s shoot well but I've seen a lot of them shoot like crap. Getting them to shoot well is often a handloading required proposition. I have yet to see a tikka that won't meet it's accuracy guarantee and most will do better. Seeing them do .5-.75moa five shot groups out of the box is pretty common with quality ammo. I set up a 22-250 varmint variant for a friend (in a chassis, some minor modifications) and it was able to achieve half inch groups with Nosler factory ammo and best that slightly with handloads. They don't need aftermarket triggers but if you really want to go there, Barnard is your jam.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Nice setup. What are the general specs of the scope you are using?

Scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 (Gen 1)
    I could definitely use better glass, the Gen 2 version is clearer, or better yet just spend more and get a better scope altogether. I just don’t shoot enough long range to justify it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have 2. One is a custom build. Trued 700 receiver barreled by ER Shaw in .260 Remington. Unlike 4g64loser, I can’t even come close to shooting at the rifle’s capabilities, so I’m very happy with it.
    IMG_9294.jpeg

The other is a Remington 700 Police in .308. It’s a tack driver. Picked it up from rj1974 who has shot it out to 1200 yards in Ed Shell’s classes.
    IMG_9287.jpeg

I will probably never shoot enough long-range stuff to have a different opinion.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I haven’t checked in with my favorite business in awhile, but his rifles are all built around the cold bore shot being the most important as his rifles are primarily used one shot at a time with agencies all over the place.

In 2015 we were having a conversation and the amount of R700 actions he rejects was pretty high. 70% or so. But the final 30%, he does a ton of work to, starting with putting them into a very hot oven for a long period of time and cooling them on one of those perfectly flat granite or marble machinists surfaces. I forget what they’re called.

The 30% he keeps and build, are pure shooters. R700 short and R700 long actions. A good receiver can make for a good rifle regardless of brand or model. And a bad receiver, will always make for a bad rifle.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    What’s your budget?

I was thinking probably in the 2k range for the entire package though I could be convinced otherwise. I was going to try to price a custom build too per 4g's suggestion but not sure what that looks like yet since I haven't sat down to do it.

I also just picked up a used Strike Eagle 5-25x56 FFP for $500 that I figure I can either try on this or put it on a rimfire I have if it's not good enough.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Thank you. $2k for the rifle. Did the scope come with rings, or do you still need those?

Sign up at snipershide and peruse their used listings. I’ve picked up some GOOD rifles from there over the last 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom