• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Hello All,
    It has been a long time since I have actually posted something in the forums. Recently I have hit a spot of bad luck with my contractor position with the federal government (Thanks Obama) and as a result will be losing my job here at the end of September. As I realize how hard it is to find a new job, I remembered that I orginally thought about opening a new firing range in St. Mary's County. I have all the orginal ideas that I had in the first place, and with the help of several of my friends, have some new ideas. I was wanting to gauge the interest from the members here and see what kind of support I may be getting.
    Essentialy, without going into too much detail, there will be an individual skeet shooting range, and there will be approximately 12 rifle & 12 pistol lanes at 50 yards distance. The rifle/pistol lanes aren't completly indoors but will be covered and more sheltered with a roof running the length of the firing range and a barrier wall running between the two sections to improve safety. If I can work the property that I am wanting, I will also be able to have a long distance rifle area that will be a couple hundred yards in distance. There will be four RO's, one for each shooting area. The main facility building will have a main office area, front desk, small ammo store, and a waiting area for shooters that will entertainment (TV and such) as well as some small concessions. The whole property will be sitting on roughly 200 acres.

Looking for any and all suggestions and/or ideas for questions, concerns, or improvements. Thanks in advance.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Hello All,
    It has been a long time since I have actually posted something in the forums. Recently I have hit a spot of bad luck with my contractor position with the federal government (Thanks Obama) and as a result will be losing my job here at the end of September. As I realize how hard it is to find a new job, I remembered that I orginally thought about opening a new firing range in St. Mary's County. I have all the orginal ideas that I had in the first place, and with the help of several of my friends, have some new ideas. I was wanting to gauge the interest from the members here and see what kind of support I may be getting.
    Essentialy, without going into too much detail, there will be an individual skeet shooting range, and there will be approximately 12 rifle & 12 pistol lanes at 50 yards distance. The rifle/pistol lanes aren't completly indoors but will be covered and more sheltered with a roof running the length of the firing range and a barrier wall running between the two sections to improve safety. If I can work the property that I am wanting, I will also be able to have a long distance rifle area that will be a couple hundred yards in distance. There will be four RO's, one for each shooting area. The main facility building will have a main office area, front desk, small ammo store, and a waiting area for shooters that will entertainment (TV and such) as well as some small concessions. The whole property will be sitting on roughly 200 acres.

Looking for any and all suggestions and/or ideas for questions, concerns, or improvements. Thanks in advance.

If you build it, they will come.;)

That's a pretty large undertaking. My best wishes to you and your friends.:fingerscrossed:

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Need any help?
    Seriously, I hope it goes through and I like your ideas. If the cost is reasonable I'd be interested. In the current political climate, I'm not sure you'll get much traction, but St Mary's would be the best place this side Frederick to ba allowed to do this.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    If you build it, they will come.;)

That's a pretty large undertaking. My best wishes to you and your friends.:fingerscrossed:

Thanks Guthook. I am seriously pursuing this right now as I have no job alternatives. My biggest issue right now is getting a start up business loan. I have already spoken with the Dept. of Land Use and Development and the gentleman there said it would be a great idea.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd be up for it, if for no other reason than to have a place to shoot when Sanners Lake is having an IDPA match.

One point - when you build the range, put baffles between the firing positions. Keep everyone from being showered with brass.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Need any help?
    Seriously, I hope it goes through and I like your ideas. If the cost is reasonable I'd be interested. In the current political climate, I'm not sure you'll get much traction, but St Mary's would be the best place this side Frederick to ba allowed to do this.

Thanks for the offer :D I feel as there would be a significant enough amount of business that it would be sustainable. As far as cost goes, I am still working on that part. I was thinking $100 for a year membership and the membership will get you a discount on any ammo purchased at the store as well as the concessions stand. If you refer a friend by name and they get a membership an additonal discount will be applied. If they do not want a membership, then I was thinking a flat fee of $10 for the entire day and access to all areas, not including ammo or concessions.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I'd be up for it, if for no other reason than to have a place to shoot when Sanners Lake is having an IDPA match.

One point - when you build the range, put baffles between the firing positions. Keep everyone from being showered with brass.

Already in the building plans :D I hate it when that happens to me so I figured I wouldn't want it at my range either happening to other folks.

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    Great idea and I expect you would get the business needed to sustain the operation. I personally would love a local range that stayed open long enough afterwork to get an hour of time in - say till 7PM seasons permitting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Thanks for the offer :D I feel as there would be a significant enough amount of business that it would be sustainable. As far as cost goes, I am still working on that part. I was thinking $100 for a year membership and the membership will get you a discount on any ammo purchased at the store as well as the concessions stand. If you refer a friend by name and they get a membership an additonal discount will be applied. If they do not want a membership, then I was thinking a flat fee of $10 for the entire day and access to all areas, not including ammo or concessions.

Is a $100.00 membership a bit low? I'm in Germantown where there aren't a lot of options. I paid $300.00 for a year-membership at Gilbert's Range AND it is a requirement to purchase ammo there (very expensive). Will you allow folks to bring ammo? Or will they have to purchase it at the range store?

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Is a $100.00 membership a bit low? I'm in Germantown where there aren't a lot of options. I paid $300.00 for a year-membership at Gilbert's Range AND it is a requirement to purchase ammo there (very expensive). Will you allow folks to bring ammo? Or will they have to purchase it at the range store?

It is still in the works as far as actual membership cost. I have been to Gilbert's and really wasn't impressed by them. I don't want the cost of membership to be so high that it turns more people away then brings in business. I also don't believe it is good practice to force people to buy from your stock. Basically, I would have in the membership agreement a clause that will allow members to bring their own ammunition both manufactured and reloaded but will release the range from any liability or responsibility in regards to any injuries that may occur. I have already spoken with a lawyer about this matter and this is the agreement we came up with.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Great idea and I expect you would get the business needed to sustain the operation. I personally would love a local range that stayed open long enough afterwork to get an hour of time in - say till 7PM seasons permitting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

As far as hours are concerned, they are still in the works. I was thinking about opening around 11am in the morning and closing at dusk. Although I was planning on putting in bright fluroscent lights at least in the indoor section, so may be even later then dusk.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Can you be up and running by this weekend? :innocent0

I'd love to have 200-300 yards in SOMD. Delmarva is the only option currently. Needless to say, many folks who shoot these distances are "roll your own" types and would probably object to a mandatory "buy at the range" policy.

Competition is a good thing. I wish you luck, I'd definitely join up if opened and maintain my other allegiances as well...just sayin'.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    A 300 yd rifle range, sign me up now! If I could I'd volunteer to help but now's not the time for that. Sorry about your job situation, same happened to me in March (just as well considering...).

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    Awesome idea, hope you can make it work out. If you needed help with construction to help defray costs, I'm sure many members here would be willing to lend a hand. Me being one of them.

CWood

May 2, 2011
    S.MD
    And more than one shot every two seconds! Good luck and you will get lots of support I am sure.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I hope it works out for you, however IMHO a 50 yd rifle range is worthless. That real estate may be better used for something else.
    My $0.04

ps: any hi-power rifle range over 200 yds would be awesome. 300-600 would be good:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom