• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    An loud intercom system under the range roof for the RSO's to give safety commands?

Clearly laid out instructions for newbs, dummies and rebels.

Any idea about EPA rules on lead cleanup in St. Mary's Co., especially being a Chesapeake Watershed area?

Just in time for the MDSF Spring shoot!!!!!!!!!!:innocent0

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    That is an awesome idea! Can you say about where in St. Marys you would have the range?
    Answer: I have found some pristine land in Leonardtown near St. Mary's Lake.

Can you be up and running by this weekend?
    Answer: I wish but I will be leaving the country for the next week.

Sorry about your job situation, same happened to me in March (just as well considering...).
    Answer: Thanks for that. It's been difficult to accept that it's happening considering what I do.

More than one shot every two seconds?
    Answer: That one I will leave up to the RSO's decision but I don't see a problem with a shot a second.

IMHO a 50 yd rifle range is worthless. That real estate may be better used for something else.
    Answer: All of this is still in the works currently. Nothing has been finalized. The reason for only 50 yards sheltered is due to cost of building and such.

Any thought about shooting steel?
    Answer: Still trying to decide on that one. May make some special days for it.

How about IDPA or other action shooting where a pistol is drawn and fired from a holster?
    Answer: See answer directly above :thumbsup: :lol:

An loud intercom system under the range roof for the RSO's to give safety commands?
    Answer: Already have that planned out. One for each RSO station.

Clearly laid out instructions for newbs, dummies and rebels.
    Answer: There will be posted in big, bold, colorful lettering spelling out those rules in great detail. Also, a copy requiring a signed consent will be included in each membership contract.

Any idea about EPA rules on lead cleanup in St. Mary's Co., especially being a Chesapeake Watershed area?
    Answer: http://www.mde.maryland.gov/assets/document/Final%20Update%20No%202.1%20dated%205-20-08%281%29.pdf

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you would open a range some in the middle of saint marys, There would be plenty of interest.

Sanners is the only other game in town.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    The NRA has programs to help New Ranges get up and running.
    I would contact them.

Good Luck!

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    I would shoot there all the time. When you plan the layout. You should design it so that you leave yourself the option of widening it to add more lanes later on. i.e. don't build yourself into a corner. If you need help/grunt labor getting it off the ground and running I'll work for free range time.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Planning Resources

NSSA's Gun-Club Manual is very useful, especially Chapter D on "Planning Your Range":
    HTML:
     http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/nssa-skeet-shooting/clubs-and-associations/gun-club-manual/

The NRA's Range Sourcebook is the "bible' of range-design. You can order a copy from them via:
    HTML:
    http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/

Apologies if these are resources that you're already investigated.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I would be VERY interested if I could practice USPSA style shooting which oftentimes is a shot every 0.2 seconds. And obviously draw from a holster. Practicing for IDPA or USPSA is difficult with one shot every second...

Also would love a 200 and 300 yard rifle range. Longer than that would be mo betta.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    If you would open a range some in the middle of saint marys, There would be plenty of interest.

Sanners is the only other game in town.
    Reply: That is why I decided St. Mary's county rather then any other county. Well that and it is still pretty close to where I have my house :D

The NRA has programs to help New Ranges get up and running.
    I would contact them.
    Reply: Already have contacted them and am eargly awaiting for a reply.

You should design it so that you leave yourself the option of widening it to add more lanes later on.
    Reply: Already planned for that. I have worked it out so that I would have the option to possibly be able to build on eight to ten more lanes to each side.

Apologies if these are resources that you're already investigated.
    Reply: It is all good. A good friend of mine is lending me his copy so I won't have to buy my own. I will probably end up making a copy of it :D

I would be VERY interested if I could practice USPSA style shooting which oftentimes is a shot every 0.2 seconds. And obviously draw from a holster. Practicing for IDPA or USPSA is difficult with one shot every second...
    Reply: I am in the process of planning out some special days or a regular day every week for IDPA and/or USPSA training. Otherwise, that way for regular Jane/Joe Schmo who comes in for a one day won't feel intimitdated or try it themselves with disastrous results.

Also would love a 200 and 300 yard rifle range. Longer than that would be mo betta.
    Reply: Right now that is all that I am allowing at this moment just because I don't know if I will be getting the property. If I get the property that I am wanting there may be room to expand that range. I would still only be able to clear out some much more space due to zoning restrictions on the property, I have to be conservative with the land.

Sounds like an awesome idea.
    Reply: Thanks. It has been a long time coming and planning.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Reply: I am in the process of planning out some special days or a regular day every week for IDPA and/or USPSA training. Otherwise, that way for regular Jane/Joe Schmo who comes in for a one day won't feel intimitdated or try it themselves with disastrous results.

Understood. Just keep in mind that Jane/John Schmo shoot 3-5 times a month/year, folks like myself shoot 3-5 times a week.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Understood. Just keep in mind that Jane/John Schmo shoot 3-5 times a month/year, folks like myself shoot 3-5 times a week.

I have been contemplating it more and more partly because there has been numerous interest with the IDPA and such shooting pracitces that I may make it a staple that it be allowed. I may put a section in the contract agreement where you have to check a box if you wish to particpate in that style of shooting.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    If you could get a long rifle range, 300 yds or greater, I will make time to go there a few times a week. Irt a pistol range, while there, why not?
    My neighbor has a bunch of clearing machines available, if interested I'll check his availability if/when you're available. (Souther Maryland Asphalt ....)

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I will definitely join at that price. I don't know what you plan to pay RSO's, but it seems as if having three all the time would be very expensive. Sanners and Myrtle Grove work pretty well without RO's, and since you are a private operation, you'd have far more control over who stops by than MG does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom