• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Oh no. Sotomayor played a reverse card and the ruling is now reversed!
    ddmcdqs-ecd2b865-fa25-4550-adf0-f5962af5484f.png

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Indeed, the Court recognized in Heller at least one way in which the Second Amendment’s historically fixed meaning applies to new circumstances: Its reference to “arms” does not apply “only [to] those arms in existence in the 18th century.” 554 U. S., at 582.

-Thomas

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Congratulations from this Floridian (ex-Marylander)

If I was still a Maryland resident, I would be wearing dual Glock 48’s IWB today in Baltimore County.

This is National Concealed Carry reciprocity day.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Hmmmmm. But keeps in place shall issue requirements.
    Still reading... but this is my concern. Now MD establishes insanely burdensome training requirements that effectively kills shall issue... they do this in spite of the ruling because they know it will take years to make it back to the SC, if it ever does and at that time the makeup of the court could be different.

This is still a huge win, no doubt, but unless it really smacks down those burdensome requirements, there are lots of games to be easily be played by the state.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Heller’s methodology centered onconstitutional text and history. It did not invoke any means-end test such as strict or intermediate scrutiny, and it expressly rejected any interest-balancing inquiry akin to intermediate scrutiny. Pp. 9–15.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Still reading... but this is my concern. Now MD establishes insanely burdensome training requirements that effectively kills shall issue... they do this in spite of the ruling because they know it will take years to make it back to the SC, if it ever does and at that time the makeup of the court could be different.

This is still a huge win, no doubt, but unless it really smacks down those burdensome requirements, there are lots of games to be easily be played by the state.
    Yyyyep. Same kind of games NY will play.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I see some similar references like this in several places as I am quick reading through the opinion. I expect a healthy GVR on the AWB held case.

"respondents next direct the Court to the history of the Colonies and early Republic, but they identify only three restrictions on public carry from that time. While the Court doubts that just three colonial regulations could suffice to show a tradition of public-carry regulation, even looking at these laws on their own terms, the Court is not convinced that they regulated public carry akin to the New York law at issue. The statutes essentially prohibited bearing arms in a way that spread “fear” or “terror” among the people, including by carrying of “dangerous and unusual weapons.” See 554 U. S., at 627. Whatever the likelihood that handguns were considered “dangerous and unusual” during the colonial period, they are today “the quintessential self-defense weapon.” Id., at 629. Thus, these colonial laws provide no justification for laws restricting the public carry of weapons that are unquestionably in common use today. Pp. 37–42"

I sort of suspect this court is going to find something like 20-40 million AR-15s is "common use". It allows them to continue upholding the NFA though (sad panda). But I have a feeling assault weapon BANS are going to fall flat on their face. Assault weapon REGULATIONS might not though.

HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    Does this mean every state has to be Shall Issue?

Or does this mean permit-less Constitutional Carry applies to every state?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congratulations from this Floridian (ex-Marylander)

If I was still a Maryland resident, I would be wearing dual Glock 48’s IWB today in Baltimore County.

This is National Concealed Carry reciprocity day.
    I haven't read far enough into the opinion, but that doesn't seem to be what it is saying. Permits can still be required from what I've read before. Unlimited burden on said permits is not permited. So don't go carrying in states that require a permit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom