• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Lack of sanitation will cause the return of many waterborne diseases that although once common are hardly seen today in this country. These have killed more people than all the wars combined.
    In my group, I'm the one who barked about hygiene and sanitation first and loudest.
    We've taken this onboard.

In a prepping world where people are freaking out about forever-food, NODS, guns and ammo, hygiene and sanitation is very unsexy but it's critical.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Lack of sanitation will cause the return of many waterborne diseases that although once common are hardly seen today in this country. These have killed more people than all the wars combined.

Cholera

Dysentery

Typhoid fever

Hepatitis

Etc.

Link to water born disease:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases
    Aye aye. Thanks. Great point.

how could I forget?

On second thought, not unlike the Catholic bear or Pope, taking a shit in the woods is pretty common hereabouts. Doesn’t make us immune to it. But changes the urban and suburban sanitation equation.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Aye aye. Thanks. Great point.

how could I forget?

On second thought, not unlike the Catholic bear or Pope, taking a shit in the woods is pretty common hereabouts. Doesn’t make us immune to it. But changes the urban and suburban sanitation equation.
    I think there used to be these things called "out houses". They were essentially a hole in the ground you pooped in. The farm where I hunt has one of these ancient structures still intact. Those guys 100 years ago were really smart.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Lots of doom and gloom in these types of threads because I reckon "peppers" want to believe that they're the 10% that will survive whatever catastrophy is coming, but as someone has already stated, before modern conveniences people were able to survive just fine, like the dozens of countries that are currently getting by without running water and electricity. There was a lot of suck, but there also wasn't much obesity.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I think there used to be these things called "out houses". They were essentially a hole in the ground you pooped in. The farm where I hunt has one of these ancient structures still intact. Those guys 100 years ago were really smart.
    Absolutely.

When it fills up, you cover the existing hole, dig and new hole and move the outhouse over the new hole. Been there. Done that.

Scarcity breeds creativity and character.

Nothing like sharing an outhouse with snakes, spiders (esp black widows) and my all time favorite, skunks.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Absolutely.

When it fills up, you cover the existing hole, dig and new hole and move the outhouse over the new hole. Been there. Done that.

Nothing like sharing an outhouse with snakes, spiders (esp black widows) and my all time favorite, skunks.
    I don't do spiders. What will I do when I run out of bug spray for my out house? Man I need to start stocking up.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Lots of doom and gloom in these types of threads because I reckon "peppers" want to believe that they're the 10% that will survive whatever catastrophy is coming, but as someone has already stated, before modern conveniences people were able to survive just fine, like the dozens of countries that are currently getting by without running water and electricity. There was a lot of suck, but there also wasn't much obesity.
    Survival requires much more than “stuff”

Preppers, like any “group” of folks, come in all shapes, sizes and mentalities. Funny that non preppers do too. Among the latter, many judgemental, arrogant folk. YMMV

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Why don't you see more preppers in these post apocalypse movies? 28 days later, no preppers, walking dead, no preppers, last of us, none, resident evil, none. Or maybe there are you just don't see them because a movie about a guy and his dog in a cabin eating MREs makes for a boring movie? IDK.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I suspect that prepared people will have fewer dramatic moments than the sheeple.

Preparedness is more about mindset than acquiring things. The people who have thought through potential survival situations and have an idea of what they might do, including realizing there are things they don't know and taking steps to add additional knowledge, will have a much higher survival rate than those who think food comes from a restaurant, milk comes from a box, but can name all the Kardashian sisters.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In my group, I'm the one who barked about hygiene and sanitation first and loudest.
    We've taken this onboard.

In a prepping world where people are freaking out about forever-food, NODS, guns and ammo, hygiene and sanitation is very unsexy but it's critical.
    Some think I'm crazy, but I have soap. If no one else has soap, you have gold.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Absolutely.

My grandparents had a bucket with lye in it, they would sprinkle a bit in the hole after taking care of business. It never filled up.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    So I shouldn't be exterminating all the ground rats on my property? Might need to smoke them later...:yummy:

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Some think I'm crazy, but I have soap. If no one else has soap, you have gold.
    Low fragrance I assume...so the animals and rapists don't smell you. It's a good idea. It becomes very, very loud if you haven't showered recently. I'm sure women will avoid fragrance. Men too...cuz the raping...

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Low fragrance I assume...so the animals and rapists don't smell you. It's a good idea. It becomes very, very loud if you haven't showered recently. I'm sure women will avoid fragrance. Men too...cuz the raping...
    Starts at 3:10

Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    The "stuff" we're acquiring is merely the bridge to establishing ourselves in the new way. It's not meant to sustain us indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom