• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marksman

Thank you for hosting, Tim! I have named my now complete Romy AK, Tim, in your honor. Without you and O'Malley, Tim would still be in pieces sitting in a box at the top of my closet. Had a great time and finally finished a project I started back in 2007 when I ordered my $99 parts kit.

Thanks to tc617, foodpoison, Stevearado, Batu, smdub, armed ferret, and everyone else for the help and guidance in putting Tim together.

Looking forward to the next one!

sureshot

Apr 15, 2014
    Hey guys, this looks like a good deal barrel already pressed. is the AMD any good?
    Hungarian AMD 65 Parts Kit, Matching Numbers, New US Barrel, New Parkerizing for $349. check it out at clearviewinvest.com

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Sneakyshort, what were doing when you heard the popping sound. I could need see or feel a separation of the rail. I assume the drilling you are doing is removing one rail - correct?

Thanks again everyone.

Actually I spoke too soon. What i heard "pop" was the sling hoop smacking against the stock as i was lightly tapping my bolt all the way to see where it was hanging up. They held up to drilling so no problem there.

The real problem was that both rails needed to be trimmed. Using a hand file i was able to work on the lower rails and the ejector. Now the bolt is able to slide with ease. The bolt carrier group still hangs on the top rails though.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Actually I spoke too soon. What i heard "pop" was the sling hoop smacking against the stock as i was lightly tapping my bolt all the way to see where it was hanging up. They held up to drilling so no problem there.

The real problem was that both rails needed to be trimmed. Using a hand file i was able to work on the lower rails and the ejector. Now the bolt is able to slide with ease. The bolt carrier group still hangs on the top rails though.

Ejholt had a similar problem. His first problem the ID of the rails was pinching the bolt carrier half way down the receiver. I had a Nodak Spud that he took some measurements from and did a little filing to get t to spec. Then the ejector was dragging on the bolt and that too had to be filed down a little bit too.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey guys, this looks like a good deal barrel already pressed. is the AMD any good?
    Hungarian AMD 65 Parts Kit, Matching Numbers, New US Barrel, New Parkerizing for $349. check it out at clearviewinvest.com

It is a really good deal because it includes the barrel but... That 16.5" barrel is ugly as sin.

The original AMD-65 had a 12.5" barrel and a 2" muzzle brake. My AMD has the same barrel with a permanently attached AK Builder 4.3" muzzle brake to bring the barrel length to just over 16".

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30042

Here is a picture the 16.5" barrel AMD-65 and below is a picture of my AMD-65 with a 12.5" barrel.

AMD65_101.jpg

Attachments

• My AKs.jpg
      My AKs.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 177

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    lets see the builds guys I wasnt able to go but I can live vicariously through you all so lets see them !

I just refinished these guys.

IMG_0984 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

IMG_0985 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

The stock on the khyber was left original. looks ok in the pic but definitely visible in person. the whole rifle is probably getting hit with molyresin at some point anyway. just took advantage of the park tank availability. ;)

The 500 needs a new magazine spring; it's not shootable right now unless you single-load. The trigger guard also needs a coat of something. May end up doing the whole damn thing in the Coyote AlumaHyde the receiver got coated in.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Ejholt had a similar problem. His first problem the ID of the rails was pinching the bolt carrier half way down the receiver. I had a Nodak Spud that he took some measurements from and did a little filing to get t to spec. Then the ejector was dragging on the bolt and that too had to be filed down a little bit too.

Mine was pinching halfway down and onward as well. Cleaned up those rails and the ejector and the bolt slid fine. Working on the bolt carrier group sliding well was my next issue. I got tired of using a handfile so I broke out the dremel. THEN i had to deal with the hammer in the way issue armed ferret brought up. Polished the contact points of hammer and bcg and oiled. Action is superbly smooth now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom