• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    you guys were so busy jacking it to the park tank you didnt see me there finishing this baby...... JK lol My builder just sent it back after 5 months :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_3682.jpg
      IMG_3682.jpg
      92.4 KB · Views: 178

Stevearado

Oct 12, 2009
    St Mary's County
    Nice looking AK but I have to ask you a question...

Is it the light, or is your AK a medium grey color? How long did you leave it n the park tank? It should have darken more than that.

Some of it is light, but it is a noticeable grey color. I believe I left it in there for about 5 to 7 minutes. I did the muzzle brake afterward, and it is the same color.
    I noticed your Maadi was much darker.

sureshot

Apr 15, 2014
    Well, this explains why my barrel would not fit. Now I am wondering whether my kit is polish. how can I tell and given I have a polish receiver will all the trigger group, etc work if I keep going with the build? I need to find a way to cut down the barrel. what about emory cloth?

>> Howdy Sureshot, You have a small trunnion! I've seen some AMD's with
    >> little trunnions but not Polish. Yes it's unusual, but not a big deal.
    >> I hope you have access to a lathe. You need to sand it to size. I've
    >> done this many times to get barrels within the .001-.0015 press fit
    >> tolerance. .004-.005 is a lot to sand off. If you can skim some off
    >> with tooling it will speed up your process.
    >> Thanks, Lonnie

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    emory cloth will work. you may not get it PERFECTLY round, but you should be able to remove enough (and not be ridiculously out of round) to get it to fit nice and snug.

high grit (180 is the lowest number i would go, no coarser than that) and patience is the name of the game now. but you should be gtg.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Some of it is light, but it is a noticeable grey color. I believe I left it in there for about 5 to 7 minutes. I did the muzzle brake afterward, and it is the same color.
    I noticed your Maadi was much darker.

Was the temperature hot enough? It needed to be at least 165 degrees, the 180-190 range would be ideal. I just parked my father's old Remington Model 41 barrel and came out a dark grey-black color.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    emory cloth will work. you may not get it PERFECTLY round, but you should be able to remove enough (and not be ridiculously out of round) to get it to fit nice and snug.

high grit (180 is the lowest number i would go, no coarser than that) and patience is the name of the game now. but you should be gtg.

could he put barrel in drill press to sand? muzzle in the chuck, maybe to much wobble/run out or f up threads on barrel

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    that's a massive invitation for all sorts of disaster. i'd rather just get it stable in a bench vise (pad the jaws, of course) and go by hand. rather risk the journal being slightly out of round as opposed to shit getting real with a barrel flying out of a drill press, and impaling itself through the operator.

or yeah. just f'ed up threads. those are enough of a pain in the ass to deal with....let alone a drill press/barrel impalement. :lol2:

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    my no-go gauge finally came in. Since I had rail issues at the build party, I decided to just press in the barrel to where AoA drilled it and put the barrel pin in. Was hoping that AoA "checked headspace" was true. Using a Manson no-go gauge and stripped bolt, it closes 100% on it. Tried the by itself and with the carrier. What are my options now?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    i'd be willing to bet you'll be okay. if you're off tuesday you could ride to DSC with me and we could rig it in a lead sled, step a ways off and use some parachute cord to remotely pull the trigger. ;)

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    my no-go gauge finally came in. Since I had rail issues at the build party, I decided to just press in the barrel to where AoA drilled it and put the barrel pin in. Was hoping that AoA "checked headspace" was true. Using a Manson no-go gauge and stripped bolt, it closes 100% on it. Tried the by itself and with the carrier. What are my options now?

I got a oversized pin+reamer

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    ill keep that in mind hahaha. I was reading this post on akfiles, let me know if this is a good idea.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=459278&postcount=8

I got a oversized pin+reamer

hoping i dont have to jump to that just yet if the above post from ak files is viable.

Im using 3M micropore tape, thickness is .001 One little piece it is very close to locking up. If i apply more pressure it closes up on it, same thing with 2 little pieces. At 3 pieces, .003 thickness it definitely wont lock up. I honestly think that since the tape is micropore tape and not like masking tape it is being compressed greatly, hence why the bolt with pressure can be closed on the first 2 pieces or less.

ill add pics in a second.

with 3 pieces, even with force added to it, it looks like this.

Attachments

• 2014-05-11 09.50.40.jpg
      2014-05-11 09.50.40.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 150

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    so used that toth barrel install/removal tool and this is what I ended up with. Bolt doesnt close on the no go-gauge but, in the bolt carrier group, it still closes on it? There is slight resistance, but so little that a slight push with 1 finger closes. Guess im getting closer.

Attachments

• 2014-05-15 15.11.41.jpg
      2014-05-15 15.11.41.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 129

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom