• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    That was an AoA kit? Did you try see if they'd exchange it out? I was thinking about ordering a few of them...

was an AoA kit but i think since everything is riveted in, i dont think i can just send back the barrel. Also, it may be user error during installation on my end. After cranking on it a bit more i finally got the bolt carrier to a point where i felt it didnt close on the no go gauge. I left the barrel pin in when i did this. It may seem like a bad idea, but i believe there was enough wiggle room to do it without removing it. Also, i was doing 8th of a turn increments. always checking the bolt and taking it out of the vice testing the bolt carrier. Took a lot of time, but it go there. Next build party in a few months, ill just repark it and hopefully have a second parts kit for my second build!

Attachments

• 2014-05-15 18.08.51.jpg
      2014-05-15 18.08.51.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 292

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    You may be well-served to put a small tack weld at the bottom of the barrel where it meets the trunnion.

It'll be covered by the lower handguard, and thus not visible unless you have the rifle disassembled, but ensure the barrel doesn't move in or out while firing.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    You may be well-served to put a small tack weld at the bottom of the barrel where it meets the trunnion.

It'll be covered by the lower handguard, and thus not visible unless you have the rifle disassembled, but ensure the barrel doesn't move in or out while firing.

Good suggestion. I was thinking about just keeping the no go gauge in my range bag. Test fire, check headspace. Then every so often check with the gauge to make sure it hasnt moved. If it has, then onto the oversized pin solution.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have an AoA nitrided one for my 74 build (have not finished.) It is indeed hard (I have a Rockwell surface hardness tester.) IMO as an engineer, nitriding is arguably better than chrome. I think the bigger difference is the quality of the barrel before treatment. USA can make EXCELLENT barrels for other platforms/calibers. There is nothing voodoo/magic about AKs so I don't buy into only eastern block countries can make good hammer forged barrels. But I dont know who is making these AK barrels. There HAVE been crappy US AK manufacturers in the past. But its not fair to paint everyone w/ that broad brush. IMO if both barrels are from the same manufacturer and both chrome/nitriding are applied equally well, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference in the coatings. So the question is still: Is that barrel manufacturer AoA buys from making good ones? When I bought mine, no one seemed to be complaining.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Hrm. I'm just coming across this thread... Guess I'll come to the next one. When is it?

If anyone wants to do a couple ar15 80% lower receivers, I should have the jigs soon.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Any thoughts on a Polish Tantal Wz88 build? I know the side folder wont have a great cheek weld (but thats fixable). I also see it takes a unique barrel - but they are avail.

Already have a Bulgy 74 build Im working on and just looking for something different for the next one. Something more preferable than the Tantal as the next 74?

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Any thoughts on a Polish Tantal Wz88 build? I know the side folder wont have a great cheek weld (but thats fixable). I also see it takes a unique barrel - but they are avail.

Already have a Bulgy 74 build Im working on and just looking for something different for the next one. Something more preferable than the Tantal as the next 74?
    save your money apex says they will have something special in a month or 2

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hrm. I'm just coming across this thread... Guess I'll come to the next one. When is it?

If anyone wants to do a couple ar15 80% lower receivers, I should have the jigs soon.

I would be willing to have 1-2 people show up to help them with builds but no full out build parties for now.

I can probably host another build party in the fall.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Are you talking about the hungarian kits? or is something else coming?

I have receivers I'd like to do something unique with!

sadly I am being told by a few companys that went to the free Trade show in DC that the Sections have more effect on importation of all parts kits then we thought

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    sadly I am being told by a few companys that went to the free Trade show in DC that the Sections have more effect on importation of all parts kits then we thought

I'm just super limited on funds and like I mentioned would like to do something different. Plus I dont have a stack of receivers laying around so I want to find something to jump on and run with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom