• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I'm ready and can't wait! Only one friend will be coming with me I think though. Right now I only have a tactical drop-leg holster. Should I wear that or get a regular holster?

Glad to have you aboard! Your holster should be fine. While it does not work as a concealed carry holster, any good concealed carry holster will not be seen! :D The idea is to be seen. Jackets will probably be worn so we will all need to work at showing our empty holsters.

To All: Bring cameras and use them. I failed at the Annapolis Rally to get enough pictures. We want to document the event. If your local representative shows up, make sure you get a picture with them and later send them a copy thanking them for participating. If you can get a video, maybe an interview, even better yet. We want to encourage them. Send copies to the local papers, they may not cover us, but they cover our Legislators. Post them at your club or local gun store if they will let you. Lastly, make sure MSI gets copies of everything. MSI has a web page, Facebook and Twitter to help spread the word.

We want the "Post Rally Buzz" to encourage others to join us at Rally #3!

-Boxcab

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    It's Crunch Time!

I posted something similar before the 1st Rally in Annapolis. Please read and lets all have an enjoyable time at Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

Suggestions for the 2nd Open Holster Day Rally

We want to show that we are responsible, law abiding citizens. Everyone that sees us will have only a short time to decide if we are legitimate or a just another set of wacko’s.

With the proceeding in mind, I suggest the following:

Dress - Business casual comes to mind. It will be cool and breezy down at the Inner Harbor, so being comfortable is very important. A collard shirt, nice pants and shoes will help that opinion that the masses will form. I’d stay away from t-shirts with slogans, band or beer logos. Ripped jeans are not suggested. Use your own common sense to decide, I’ll be happy to see you how ever you dress, but do wear something! Last but not least, wear an empty holster. Do not try to be smart by putting anything in the holster. An empty holster IS our message. A jacket or sweater will make seeing your empty holster a challenge. A partially exposed holster, not obviously empty, is not a good idea. Take a look in the mirror before you leave home to make sure you are sending the message we are looking for.

Attitude - Bring a positive attitude. Do not come ready for a fight. If someone wants to start a heated discussion, excuse yourself and return to enjoying your time in the city. Remember, this is not the time to argue with anyone. Our main mission is to be seen and start people thinking... and wondering what the Empty Holsters are about. We will not change anyone’s mind immediately, but we want them to start considering the options. We just want to get them thinking. We will have other days to push those beliefs a little further. We want to plant the seed this Saturday.

The Police - We are good with the Police. Let me say that again, WE ARE GOOD WITH THE POLICE. The Baltimore Police Department (Contact: Lt. Robert Morris) know about us and are expecting us. The Governor and Attorney Generals Offices know we will be there. If asked, you are part of the Open Holster Day Rally. We have Permit # IH-20091270 from the City of Baltimore Department of Recreation & Parks. Remember, the empty holster is just a fashion accessory.

The Public - Since we have tried to advertise this event there may be a very slim chance that “The Antis” may try and crash our party. Do not allow yourself to be provoked and pulled into any arguments. See Attitude above. If someone is harassing you and will not give up, find the nearest Police officer or call 911 and tell them you are be being harassed. Let the Law handle it. We ARE law abiding citizens and will not stoop to their level.

The Merchants - If one of the merchants wants you to leave there establishment because of your holster, just leave. Write down the pertinent information (name of store, any employee names, time, etc.). We will regroup after words and as a group we will address the issue. Do not try to argue your Rights, not at this time. We will let calm heads decide how to best proceed. Video and still cameras are your friends.

Post Mortem - I truly believe all of the above will not be necessary, but there are gun owners who will not be joining us because of various fears. The second most important aspect of this protest (the first is being seen!) is being able to report back afterwards that “nothing” happened. No one was billy-clubbed by jack booted thugs, the population did not run us out of town tarred and feathered, and no one was shot on sight. Nothing, nada, zip. Take pictures of your good time, meet new friends, open some minds and report back that nothing happened. I’ll call that a success.

Thanks to all of you that will make the effort to join us. I am eager to meet you and count each and every one of you as a friend.

-Boxcab

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    For those of your in District 8 (the White Marsh/Perry Hall-ish area), rumor has it that Senator Klausmeier and Delegate Schuler will be attending the rally. This is the perfect opportunity to get some face time with your representatives and remind them that we appreciate their support.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Good luck guys wish I could come! but I'm stuck working :( I'm gonna make it to one of these rallys some day :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just pulled into driveway back home after Rally.
    This time daughter (13yo) had a holster also. After a quck spin thru the Inner Harbour area we ventured out away from the tourist / conventioneer area. We headed downtown to the Walters Art Museum to take in the Ancient Greece exhibit. I was asked to remove my ball cap, but no mention of holsters. Then we went to Lexington Market for lunch, and took in an excellent Blues concert ( David Mills Blues Band) . Then back to MSI HQ before heading home.
    Once again a 6'2" bald guy wearing a double western gun rig was invisable . And a redhead wearing an upsidedown shoulder holster over a pink jacket likewise.
    I suppose that no controversy is good news, but would have been nice to have circulated some brochures .

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    It was nice to meet several of you guys today. Hopefully we got to at least one person and made them think. While I was there most of those interested seemed to be individuals from out of state who held permits in their respective states.

Still it was a good outing. Hope to see you all again at future events.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    At the MSI table at the gun show we had flyers for the open holster day and several people asked when it was. They looked at us oddly and we just laughed about it.

RnRFreak

Forum Cartoon Character
    Mar 3, 2007
    Overlea
    I hit the table with my kids around 1, introduced myself, stuffed a few brochures in my holster, and went to feed the kids.

Got a few curious looks, but no one seemed too talkative.

People noticed, and maybe next time the curiosity will lead a few to inquiry, which could lead to activity, and so on...

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Interestingly enough, Spot77 and I went on walk-about just before noon and had lots of comments and looks our way.

At first I thought it was just because of Spot's looks, but then realized that being somewhat gigantic, wearing a holster, a hat that says "concealed carry now" and stuffing brochures in your holster that say "open holster day" are a really good way to get noticed.

I think the best work was done right at the table and when some members deliberately set out to engage people rather than passively waiting for people to notice.

Nearly all of our interactions were positive, with a few obligatory naysayers and only a couple of outright opposers. Of course, the most vocal person in opposition was sleeping on a bench, carrying all of his worldly goods in a back pack and telling us that guns killed people and he knew that because he had guns. If he's homeless, wouldn't that mean that he had the guns in his backpack? :rolleyes:

A lot of out of state people came by and thanked us for our work as well.

All in all, a worthwhile day.

Thanks to Boxcab BIGTIME for his efforts in organizing this and to Boondock Saint for navigating the hazards of the Baltimore permit office to make sure that this thing happened today.

Thanks to all of the people who came out and supported the effort to educate people about our issues.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Wondering if my friend made it or not, talked to her last night and she wasn't sure if she would feel good enough by today. She had " a flu" that started 2 weeks ago and she was almost over it. If she didn't make it, then she probably thought she had the swine flu and didn't want to chance it and infect fellow gun people LOL.

Overall, how many people showed up for MSI?

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    It's so sad that Maryland politicians forget about April 1968 when this city burst into flames and the National Guard was stationed in Patterson Park. The safest place to be, if you had the nerve to venture in, was Little Italy. And it was NOT because they didn't have guns. Quite the contrary!

Last edited:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Wondering if my friend made it or not, talked to her last night and she wasn't sure if she would feel good enough by today. She had " a flu" that started 2 weeks ago and she was almost over it. If she didn't make it, then she probably thought she had the swine flu and didn't want to chance it and infect fellow gun people LOL.

Overall, how many people showed up for MSI?

I think we had 30 people come out and work today. That's in addition to the people that manned the booth at the Upper Marlboro gun show. :thumbsup:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    It's so sad that Maryland politicians forget about April 1968 when this city burst into flames and the National Guard was stationed in Patterson Park. The safest place to be, if you had the nerve to venture in, was Little Italy. And it was NOT because they didn't have guns. Quite the contrary!

My dad was in the guard then and was deployed to guard the old American Brewery up around Bel Air rd and North Ave. :rolleyes:

Had an M14, and no ammo. :sad20:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    PLEASE tell me we had press come by to the booth...

There was some lady trying to be inconspicuous about taking pictures of us but was pretty unsuccessful since Nanook saw her and followed her a while to see what she was doing. She appeared to be heading towards the Examiner building......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom