• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Are any of the sub-$1000 monoculars worth it? My use cases are finding animals in fields and woods in the dark, and potentially tracking wounded game.

What would see a deer or coyote at 300 yards, or a turkey in a tree at half that?
    For tracking, YMMV depending on terrain and the like, but the handheld ones should handle a blood trail just fine (last I looked at them they were $800 or so, but that was a couple years ago). The most important thing is to stick to companies that are established in that tech and not chinesium (*cough* ATN *cough*).

But, for 300 yards, to ID you are going to need a proper thermal. Buy once, cry once. Used FLIR's come up often enough, or buy a Pulsar new (or Trijicon if you want really nice). Read up on the tech though: core, resolution, refresh, etc. are all very important.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Per internet:

One way to hide from thermal imaging is an ordinary ‘space blanket’, ’emergency blanket’ or thermal blanket.
    They are made of Mylar foil materials and will block IR imagery.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’m not worried about anything hiding under a space blanket. It/they cannot be aggressive while hiding their entire body including their eyes.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I got into the thermal game for predator hunting about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. Nothing compares to thermal for scanning. Right now I run 2 scopes and 1 handheld. I do think that nv has advantages for confirming a target, but put that animal in some brush with it not looking at you and those advantages are gone. my only concern with thermal and prepping would be battery life. I am not a prepper by any means, but I know with running 2 thermal scopes on a good night, I can go thru up to 10 CR123 lith ion batteries, and the rechargables dont seem to last about half of the time.
    What brands are you running or would recommend?

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    What brands are you running or would recommend?
    I got a once in a lifetime deal on 2 Trijicons. A mk3 60 and a reap IR35 is what i have on my 2 guns. They are pretty dam cool. I use a Pulsar axion to scan with. Its not top of the line, but it does pretty good for the price. I already had enough invested is this deal. Trijicon and Halo seem to be on the top end from what I have put my hands on. However Pulsar, Bering, Iray, AGM and some others are putting out some quality products at half the price of the others. Pay attention to the reviews on what the scope does in high humidity. My 35mm is horrible in high humidity while the 60mm isnt bad. There is supposed to be a guy in southern md that actually keeps a bunch in stock. If you are in the market, its worth putting your hands on one before you buy.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Here's a 2 screenshots from my scanner at about 100yds, 1 second apart.... That's his head exploding...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220503-142710.png
      Screenshot_20220503-142710.png
      77.6 KB · Views: 194
    • Screenshot_20220503-142721.png
      Screenshot_20220503-142721.png
      74.5 KB · Views: 197

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I have a AGM thermal scanner. Love it!

Attachments

• CF540CBA-71DE-4479-B6C0-ED66CB75511B.jpeg
      CF540CBA-71DE-4479-B6C0-ED66CB75511B.jpeg
      524.8 KB · Views: 179
    • E1A1B0EC-FC92-497F-ACF0-B018C23EC65B.png
      E1A1B0EC-FC92-497F-ACF0-B018C23EC65B.png
      150.1 KB · Views: 178
    • 473BF95D-A022-48EF-9879-1406E47AB751.png
      473BF95D-A022-48EF-9879-1406E47AB751.png
      128.6 KB · Views: 177
    Last edited:

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Per internet:

One way to hide from thermal imaging is an ordinary ‘space blanket’, ’emergency blanket’ or thermal blanket.
    Except that will stick out like a sore thumb in an outdoor background (and up close anywhere). From ten yards I can count the hairs on my kids head.
    You are welcome

Danger Will Robinson, Danger. Lone Star Boars has had a couple videos out on why ATN thermals should be avoided like the plague.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I got a once in a lifetime deal on 2 Trijicons. A mk3 60 and a reap IR35 is what i have on my 2 guns. They are pretty dam cool. I use a Pulsar axion to scan with. Its not top of the line, but it does pretty good for the price. I already had enough invested is this deal. Trijicon and Halo seem to be on the top end from what I have put my hands on. However Pulsar, Bering, Iray, AGM and some others are putting out some quality products at half the price of the others. Pay attention to the reviews on what the scope does in high humidity. My 35mm is horrible in high humidity while the 60mm isnt bad. There is supposed to be a guy in southern md that actually keeps a bunch in stock. If you are in the market, its worth putting your hands on one before you buy.
    Thanks.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Danger Will Robinson, Danger. Lone Star Boars has had a couple videos out on why ATN thermals should be avoided like the plague.
    I’ve heard the same thing about ATN’s thermals. Just curious what do you think about their NV? They get alot of love/hate.

I have a ATN X-Sight 4K Pro Edition 5-20x Smart HD Day/Night Riflescope. I upgraded the IR light to ATN IR850 Pro IR Illuminator, big improvement over the stock light.
    At 1st I had issues with it freezing up, after calling customer support they had me downgraded from the newest update, and all the freezing issues went away. The update even lets the scope go to 50x, not really useful, but pretty cool nonetheless. I’m happy with it, it does what I need it to do.
    Just wanted your thoughts.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I haven’t tried their NV. But tech glitches are frequent complaint (along with durability) across the board, with thermals getting some other complaints added on.

My outlook is if you’re looking at dropping the coin for that kind of tech it is absolutely worth it to abide the buy once, cry once mentality. Before I purchased I did a ton of research (LSB is a great resource), and that put me on to FLIR

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    A friend and I picked up some Thor 4s a couple years ago. They came with range finders and mounts. Really good price and always worked perfectly. I’ve had their NV for 10+ years with zero problems. I recently sold the Thor and a entry level pulsar to get the newest pulsar. No rounds on the new one yet but both the scopes I sold were very good for the cost. I also use a pulsar monocular for scanning. It’s been great but different price range. I have the leupold monocular that doesn’t really get used but l leave it in my backpack just in case.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Three of my neighbors have generators and no guns.

Since I plan to still have sex after the apocalypse, they will be running all my wifes hair dryers.
    I'm with ya'!!
    Doc, where are you running to?
    Not running. My prep philosophy has been stated. I'm 70, partially disabled, fully disabled wife. In an apocalypse setting we'll hunker down and do what we reasonably can. After all I've been through I'm not afraid to die

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Per internet:

Sure, but then you are under a blanket...

It's not impossible
    I'm with ya'!!

Not running. My prep philosophy has been stated. I'm 70, partially disabled, fully disabled wife. In an apocalypse setting we'll hunker down and do what we reasonably can. After all I've been through I'm not afraid to die
    You gotta plan for what you have. I hope you have some association with others in the area.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have this one. Sorry mine is before they added the word pro. Same thermal sensor. Works very good.

Dammit that is sexy. Are the real images as good as the pics they show? This stuff’s so addictive.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Pretty amazing. I’m a electronic idiot so I’m still getting used to it. That’s also why I sold the other two scopes. Too many different things to remember. I’m heading back to NC next weekend to try out the new rig. I’ll see if I can get in some recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom