Turnaround time on VA nonresident permits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usacarr

Open and Concealed Info
    Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks for the links and good words. I run usacarry.com myself and I try to keep it as up to date as possible with the help from everyone's emails and post when things change.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Thanks for the links and good words. I run usacarry.com myself and I try to keep it as up to date as possible with the help from everyone's emails and post when things change.

Thank you for all your hard work to keep us out of trouble. It must be a monumental task to try and keep up with all the 2A laws and regs from all the states.

Again, thank you for your efforts and welcome to MDS !

:party29:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So anyone who has a VA nonres permit:

Did anyone else (one person mentioned they did in the beginning of the thread) use their certification from the MD state police "gun safety" course that you take to buy regulated firearms as proof of training?

If so, what form was the card that you got / used? Mine is one of the old laminated ones from 8 or 9 years ago when they first required the course.

I got my packet in the mail today, so hopefully I will be able to get fingerprinted today or tomorrow and get the packet sent off.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So anyone who has a VA nonres permit:

Did anyone else (one person mentioned they did in the beginning of the thread) use their certification from the MD state police "gun safety" course that you take to buy regulated firearms as proof of training?

If so, what form was the card that you got / used? Mine is one of the old laminated ones from 8 or 9 years ago when they first required the course.

I got my packet in the mail today, so hopefully I will be able to get fingerprinted today or tomorrow and get the packet sent off.

Yep. I was the earlier poster. No problem. Mine is a small wallet card. Not even laminated. the gun shop sales guy signed it. I believe others here have used it as well, even if they don't chime in now.

30 days door to door.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Carryconcealed web site is seriously out of date. WV started honoring non resident VA permits last July. I have sent the site admins numerous emails requesting it to be updated and received no response. They also show NV as still honoring UT and FL permits, which also stopped last July. Using concealedcarry.net will end up getting you a felony arrest if you believe the info they have there.

The only two up to date sites I trust are:

www.handgunlaw.us and the aforementioned www.usacarry.com

The definitive answer for any state is either the AG or state police website for that state.

Thanks.....you probably saved my a**. :party29::D

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Dropped everything in the mail this morning- sent it priority overnight, so they'll have it before noon tomorrow. Let's see how long this takes!

Dropped everything in the mail this morning- sent it priority overnight, so they'll have it before noon tomorrow. Let's see how long this takes!

Sweet! What did you use for your training? a DD214? Hunters Course or the MSP online course?

I emailed my packet request on the 30th...still haven't received it yet...probably this week sometime.......

Keep us informed!!!

thanks

dan

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Sweet! What did you use for your training? a DD214? Hunters Course or the MSP online course?

I used my card from the MSP course (I took it in a gun shop about 9 or 10 years ago - whenever it first went into effect.)

I emailed my packet request on the 30th...still haven't received it yet...probably this week sometime.......

I sent mine on the 29th (that was last Thurs. right?) and got the packet on Monday.

Last edited:

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Just an update. My VA non resident arrived 29 days after submitting the form.
    Yes the online training course. The course you need to complete before buying a hand gun worked for creditation.
    Finger prints were done at Balto County police station. Don't forget the officers phone number on form.
    Picture ID was a 2x2" pic I printed off my copyer but on photo grade paper.
    White back ground for photo.
    Mt MD drivers licence was good for proof of photo ID.
    After calling the WV state police. The VA non resident permit is valid in WV.
    Help this helps:)

FR8TRN

Jan 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Thanks for all the great info....still checking my mail (snail) box and waiting...

dan:)

Same here, ordered mine sometime last week....hopefully it'll be here today....give me something to fill out during the blizzard....

UPDATE...it came in the mail today..... ;)

Last edited:
    Same here, ordered mine sometime last week....hopefully it'll be here today....give me something to fill out during the blizzard....

UPDATE...it came in the mail today..... ;)

Yep, just got home from work and my packet was in the mail too!!

I'll fill it out while being buried in 1 - 2 feet of snow also!!!
    Already made photo copies of my drivers license, passport card and my government picture ID and I'll throw in my spare MSP Cert firearms training card.

dan

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'll throw in my spare MSP Cert firearms training card.

dan

I know it's a spare, but they tell you pretty specifically not to send originals of everything. I would probably just photocopy it and send it in case you get some overly anal retentive processing clerk who sends it back because it's an original or something like that.

Ok, thanks Hawkeye, I'll get it copied.

Just came from the Sheriff's office and got my prints done. The Officer was very nice and we talked and bulllsh*ted for a while. I was there for at least 20 - 30 minutes. He checked my electronic prints and did 3 over to get better shots. Then placed the VSP finger print card in the printer and copied them onto the VSP finger print card. He also gave me a completed Maryland finger print card as well. He signed it and added his phone number.

He knows where I live, used to live in my little neighborhood. Gave me a warning about 2 guys on 4 wheelers, one just got out of prison and lives right down the street from me.

I told him I saw these two several days ago when we had the last snow. He said keep everything locked up tight.

Stopped off at the liquor store for some beer and saw my neighbor who works there and informed her about these two guys. She said they live right behind her!!!!

She said she never locks her garage, I told her I never do either...but I do now. She's going to tell her husband and inform him so he can keep his locked up too.

Apparently this BG has a drug problem and steels stuff to sell for drugs.

Hell, we all have ranchers out here and in nice weather we all keep our windows open even when we're not home and at night.

Anyway, going back into Mayberry and get my pictures done.

dan

Ok, now I'm thinking.....Will I get more for my $100 by purchasing risers for my motorcycle? or the Non-res gun permit.

My sister live's in Leesburg and we frequent a lot and do a lot of shooting on their 52 acre farm, along with a Fairfax County Police officer (relative).

Debating if I should go thru the VA Non res process and spend the 100 bucks or use it for my motorcycle, which I'll be riding thru Virginia, West Virginia and into Ohio.

dan....confused? Thinking what will the permit buy me living in Maryland?

dan

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    dan....confused? Thinking what will the permit buy me living in Maryland?

dan

The ability to carry when you go on your bike trips?

I ride also, and it would be nice to be able to carry on some of the longer camping type trips.

I bought a 2008 C50T 819cc Vtwin...cruiser. My brother and I drove them to Niagara Falls and back, went into Canada and everything.

First year we took them to Blackwater Falls West Virginia, this June we're going to Ohio.

Thing is, since I only have the $100.00, I may use that on the bike instead of the permit.

Gotta go and start shoveling!! man did we get clobbered overnight..and more is to COME!!!!!

dan

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Well, I got a receipt in the mail today for my $100 payment to them.

I got ALL excited, but I kind of knew there was no way they turned the whole thing around that fast.

I'll keep updating...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom