Turnaround time on VA nonresident permits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Notification from bank that check cleared today....mailed packet on Feb 2nd. Hopefully all materials good and will let you know what happens next. Can I assume if they ran the check the packet was OK?

J.Q.Citizen

Jan 8, 2010
    Atlanta GA
    Well, I got a receipt in the mail today for my $100 payment to them.

I got ALL excited, but I kind of knew there was no way they turned the whole thing around that fast.

I'll keep updating...

I just got my receipt letter last week before the snow storm. Hopefully the permit will be here soon

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Hang in there.
    Once I got the notice they cashed my money order.
    It was less then 3 weeks till my permit arrived.

Talk about irony. Last Wensday I planed on driveing up to my cabin in WV to spent a few days on vacation.
    This and to enjoy my freedom to cc..
    Would'nt you know it. Major snow storm hits. Even if we could have made it to WV. No way could I make the drive up the trail to the cabin.
    Oh well. Guess I'll wait a few weeks and try again:)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I leave for my trip on Sunday. That means I have today, tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday to "get lucky" and have it show up before I leave. Not holding my breath, but who knows?

:)

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Got a letter from VSP that they had my check, dated 2/9. Will keep you advised. I was worried when only a envelope with a letter inside arrived yesterday.....:-)

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I got printed yesterday at the Police Annex in Fairfax and mailed my application out today. I'll post the turn around time..........hopefully soon.

I've got to say, the fingerprinting process at that location was very fast. I was there at 1:30 in the afternoon. 10 minutes in and out.

Ieatpeople

Dec 15, 2009
    got my packet, filled it out, just need to do the fingerprints and pictures, add a money order, and send it in!!

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    I have a question. I work in VA, and would be carrying there all week long. I obviously live in MD. The laws here say you can only transport your guns if you are going to a range, or a shop, right? If I am stopped in MD going to, or from VA, with the gun being transported seperat from the ammo and so on, do I need to prove I was at the range or something? Should I keep both clean, and used targets in the car? Oh, I am a collector in MD, so I think I am also allowed to carry for the purpose of displaying my collection or something...

Also, it sounds like I can get the VSP finger print card done in MD. I have a County station, and a State station te same distance from my home. Would one be a better choice than the other???

Thansk
    Adny

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a question. I work in VA, and would be carrying there all week long. I obviously live in MD. The laws here say you can only transport your guns if you are going to a range, or a shop, right? If I am stopped in MD going to, or from VA, with the gun being transported seperat from the ammo and so on, do I need to prove I was at the range or something? Should I keep both clean, and used targets in the car? Oh, I am a collector in MD, so I think I am also allowed to carry for the purpose of displaying my collection or something...

Also, it sounds like I can get the VSP finger print card done in MD. I have a County station, and a State station te same distance from my home. Would one be a better choice than the other???

Thansk
    Adny

The MD AG has issued an opinion on travel in which he states that if BOTH your origin and destination are NOT in MD, the MD Statute 4-203 (range trip) does not apply. Federal USC Title 18 section 926 (FOPA) applies. Just have the weapon in the trunk unloaded or if an SUV in a locked container with ammo separate and you will be in complaince. The AG opinion is both quoted and attached here FOPA as well. i keep a printed copy of both these and the loaded magazine opinion in my truck so I can show to an LEO if necessary.

quote from AG on transport relevent portion highlighted

Dear Mr. _______:

Maryland law generally prohibits the wearing, carrying or transporting of handgun, loaded or unloaded, concealed or openly: 1) on or about one's person; and, 2) in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State.
    Individuals who have been issued a permit to carry a handgun by the Maryland Department of State Police (handgun carry permits issued by other states are not effective) are exempted from this law.

The following activities are also exempted: 1) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster; 2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster; 3) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster; 4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases; 5) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee: in the course of employment; within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment.

The federal law you cite (18 USC 926A) applies to the interstate transportation of a firearm (handgun or long arm) and supersedes Maryland law. It would have no bearing on the transportation of a firearm where the origin and destination are both within Maryland. It would however allow for the transportation of a firearm through the State of Maryland regardless of the Maryland law cited above.

For purposes of the exceptions to Maryland law, a handgun may be transported within the passenger compartment of the vehicle provided it is unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster. For purposes of the federal law exception, the firearm must be unloaded and not readily accessible from the passenger compartment.

Mark H. Bowen Assistant Attorney General

(end of quotation from Mr. Bowen)

Federal Title USC 18 SS 926 (Federal weapon interstate transport law) AKA FOPA
    TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

LINK HERE

I also attached the AG opinion on travel with loaded magazines. it's OK according to him

But you can always tell a MD LEO you are going to or coming from a range if it's during hours it would be open no matter it's location to satisfy MD 4-203 IMO an I believe Novus will agree. I go to the NRA range from Bethesda several times a month and just comply with FOPA.

Attachments

• MD AG opinin on travel 4-203.doc
      22 KB · Views: 46
    • MD AG Opinion Loaded mags.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 45

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    Thanks Stu, I will print those out. I already carry the letter on loaded magazines, just incase. I have a pistol range less than 1 mile from my office in VA, so I will use that if I ever need to, not like I plan on getting pulled over once a week or anything... Appreciate the links!!!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Why is your car being searched in the first place? No you can not search my vehicle.

If the officer has detained you because of a Reasonable Articulable Suspicion aka RAS, he may conduct a weapons search of the interior of your vehicle w/o a warrant. USSC Terry vs Ohio. This is known in LE circles as a "Terry Stop". he can pat you down and search the interior of your vehicle for weapons. Absent RAS, you are correct. I don't believe a traffic stop would give an office enough RAS to conduct a legal Terry Stop type of search.

You are correct though. Absent RAS, no search. If you get out of your car and lock the doors, he'd need a search warrant IIRC.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    If the officer has detained you because of a Reasonable Articulable Suspicion aka RAS, he may conduct a weapons search of the interior of your vehicle w/o a warrant. USSC Terry vs Ohio. This is known in LE circles as a "Terry Stop". he can pat you down and search the interior of your vehicle for weapons. Absent RAS, you are correct. I don't believe a traffic stop would give an office enough RAS to conduct a legal Terry Stop type of search.

You are correct though. Absent RAS, no search. If you get out of your car and lock the doors, he'd need a search warrant IIRC.

:party29: You got it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom