• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    When I was 16 I needed to shoot a big gun for some reason and ended up with my brothers 7mm. That ruger with the thin synthetic stock would leave bruises on a weekly basis. Di didn't help that I weighed in at a total weight of 130lbs

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Worst I've ever experienced: browning BPS 12ga while patterning 3" mag high velocity turkey shells off the bench. Holy cr*p I took some Ashoka after that, had a headache and all! Only thing that has ever really been uncomfortable to shoot for me.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Belgian Browning Auto-5 16ga befor I realized that the recoil spring had been on the gun, compressed, for over 30 years. Replaced it with a new one and there was almost 8-inches in difference between new and old,

At the young age of 5 my father, a WWII Marine, taught me to shoot. I've never had a bruise. I've fired many high caliber rifles and up to 10 guage shotguns and while in the service full auto. I really got a kick out of firing a BAR from the shoulder FA. The Chief GM at the time thought I was nuts and dared me to do the same with an M60. I fired a hundred rounds in bursts until he said I was wasting ammo.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    The day after firing a couple of mags through a full auto Thompson, I had a weird checker pattern bruise on my shoulder. Didn't hurt to shoot it, but I guess the checkered steel butt plate dug in pretty deep.

Almost gave myself a black eye with a scoped Mosin. Didn't have a proper grip on the rifle and when it went off, the scope smacked me in the forehead. I was lucky. It was one of those mistakes you only make once.

The most recent bruise was from following up four rounds of trap with a round of sporting clays. Metal buttplate on a 12 guage pump starts to get to you when you're just wearing a t-shirt.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I shot a buddy's Nitro 577 express. It was a double barreled rifle. - It left a mark.

Honorable mention
    Winchester Model 88 in .308
    03-A3

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Only time I've ever gotten a visible bruise is from one of my Mosin Nagants. Even my first outing with the Saiga 12 didn't really hurt, I was just sore.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Listen guys.

This is not Tacti-cool. This is functional. I have a Remington 870 that I hated to fire. I did not want to ruin the wood furniture on it as it was beautiful.

I replaced the stock and foregrip with this:

I can not BELIEVE the difference this made. It's basically a mechanical shock absorber. Everyone who owns a 12 gauge ought to buy one of these. It has reduced down to something similar to a 308.

The important thing is: now it's FUN to shoot.

I tried a friend's 870 with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock and it kept smacking the sh*t out my cheek. Not a fan. I definitely prefer shooting with the original stock. However, I did purchase a limbsaver recoil reducing pad and it has greatly reduced felt recoil.

If you get cheek slap with that stock, you're holding it wrong. You need a firm cheek weld to use that stock properly. It's not designed for wing shooting, it's for running buckshot/slugs fast. Before I got one, I tried sighting in my 870 Supermag with slugs. I was eight and out. Left a nice bruise on my shoulder. After the Knoxx, no bruising, no ill effects, and once I figured out the hold, no cheek slap. If you want one for use on skeet/trap/quail, get the stock without the pistol grip.

Jim

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    If you get cheek slap with that stock, you're holding it wrong. You need a firm cheek weld to use that stock properly. It's not designed for wing shooting, it's for running buckshot/slugs fast. Before I got one, I tried sighting in my 870 Supermag with slugs. I was eight and out. Left a nice bruise on my shoulder. After the Knoxx, no bruising, no ill effects, and once I figured out the hold, no cheek slap. If you want one for use on skeet/trap/quail, get the stock without the pistol grip.

Jim

I only had the opportunity to shoot it once and held it the way I hold an AR. Maybe that is not the correct way. May have to try again sometime. I will say that the limbsaver pad works well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom