• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I imagine I'll get right popular in the neighborhood. The Mennonite up the top of the hill does not live there, but has a beef fattening pen. I figure we will kill some of those as needed and Strip is all out and dry it all into jerky for preservation. I got a wood fired smokehouse 20 yards behind my house. That has 8 trays 21" x 25"

Attachments

• Smokehouse_snow.jpg
      Smokehouse_snow.jpg
      169.9 KB · Views: 54

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Longer than you think. Lots of dumb ones would be eaten in the first few years. Worse than humans, without government funded “animal control” we would revert to the deer population being controlled by feral dogs as it was 60 years ago. That is what caused the deer population explosion “animal control”
    Deer were hunted to near extinction in several states by the late 1800s.
    Indiana is a good example; they reintroduced deer in the 1930s bringing them from other areas to repopulate.
    I think it might be pretty surprising how fast deer would be drastically reduced if there was widespread privation and unregulated hunting.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    What about crabs?
    Crabs are seasonal. They burrow into the mud during the winter. Rockfish migrate.

There are two fish that remain plentiful- blue catfish and Asian snakeheads. Both are good eating, both are incredibly prolific. Both are easy to catch, they bite nearly anything.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Deer were hunted to near extinction in several states by the late 1800s.
    Indiana is a good example; they reintroduced deer in the 1930s bringing them from other areas to repopulate.
    I think it might be pretty surprising how fast deer would be drastically reduced if there was widespread privation and unregulated hunting.
    Long pig solves a lot of that. Some places will be managed

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Longer than you think. Lots of dumb ones would be eaten in the first few years. Worse than humans, without government funded “animal control” we would revert to the deer population being controlled by feral dogs as it was 60 years ago. That is what caused the deer population explosion “animal control”
    When there is no meat feral dogs will be on the menu.

After the first couple of months there will far fewer people competing for the available resources because of lack of potable water, disease, starvation, and SSS.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    When there is no meat feral dogs will be on the menu.

After the first couple of months there will far fewer people competing for the available resources because of lack of potable water, disease, starvation, and SSS.
    I agree, that's part of why I think the deer will last longer. Another is ... have you gone to a rifle range and watched the average shooter? ...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I read it back when he would post it, sections at a time, on SHTF board. It is a very good read with a lot of realistic information. From someone that has lived through a war/shtf situation and is humble enough to tell the story without any embelishment.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    - Money was valueless quickly.
    - Precious metals were valueless not long afterwards
    - Ammo, tobacco, alcohol and sex were currency

This confirms a personal belief I've had forever. I've always assumed that if SHTF, "brass" would become the currency of choice. It's not food but it'll get you food. It's not money but it could be bartered as such because it's so much more versatile. If you choose to be civil and trade or a savage and take, you'll need brass either way.

For people hording gold and silver, I've never believe anything else is a bigger waste of time. When water and food are the most important daily needs to be met, metal is worthless.

Sirex